Sick of Being Unhealthy

The Lord Bastard

On 10/10/2016 at 0:17 PM, The Lord Bastard said:

I'm downloading some music to run on the treadmill later. The start of this "Couch-to-5k."

Was actually going to suggest that you try Couch to 5K because it starts off pretty easy, is flexible dependent on fitness levels and has clear goals as you go along.

You definitely need to find a new hobby as well though! I'm not sure that reading/writing alone is enough.

I'd drop the cigarettes immediately. Drinking is a problem but smoking is the absolute worst. Proving to yourself you have the mental ability to break it will make other goals seem easy. Stopping drinking will seem easy once you prove you can stop smoking. 

Other than that everyone else has great advice. The only thing I would add is think about your sleeping habits. Based on how you describe your lifestyle I would bet my left nut you are a night owl and probably don't have a consistent sleep pattern. You should set a long term goal of moving your bedtime to as early as possible, target a minimum of 8 hours of sleep and wake up no later than 6am every day. Early risers are healthier and happier, plus going to bed early forces you not to be out late doing the bad activities that lead to poor health. Nothing good happens after 9pm :) 

I recommend to get counceling, it is easier not to fight alone.

You got some really great advice here. Never try to change everything at the same time, and be kind to yourself if it doesn't work out at once. 

Find substitutes for the urge to binge-drink. First f it all, it is the excercise. I was in a pretty miserable state myself once, but sports, as brutal it is to motivate oneself, helps a lot. And when you are battered from sports, it helps greatly with sleeping issues. Drinking and smoking will not ;)

Ok so I had a decent week this week. I didn't smoke for four days and I cut out the fried breakfast. These two changes made me feel a million per cent better. I also ran every day this week for approximately 30 minutes. 

I've slipped up though. My friend was desperate to get off the base so he invited me out for a pint. We ended up having 5-6 pints and finished the night with a double whiskey and coke each. Today I've smoked as well.

That thing I said a few posts back. Weekend is R n' R and it's almost as if I see smoking as some sort of reward or something I'm entitled to. 

15 hours ago, Isis said:

Nobody needs 'a couple of nice sandwiches' for breakfast. Or even for lunch. Are you trolling? 

"Sandwich" is not an official unit of measurement, you know. There are bigger ones and smaller ones.

You slipped up, no big deal. The important thing is what you do now.

You need to get right back on track. It's all too common for people to think "well, now I've already failed so I can just as well give up completely". That's a fallacy! You've had a great week despite the unhealthy weekend, so just keep going and make sure the next week is just as good or even better. That's how you succeed.

Keep posting, it's awesome to hear about your progress!

4 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

You slipped up, no big deal. The important thing is what you do now.

You need to get right back on track. It's all too common for people to think "well, now I've already failed so I can just as well give up completely". That's a fallacy! You've had a great week despite the unhealthy weekend, so just keep going and make sure the next week is just as good or even better. That's how you succeed.

Keep posting, it's awesome to hear about your progress!

I resumed working out yesterday. The running intervals are longer for week two of Couch-to-5K, and I upped the speed as well. I actually enjoy going to the gym to do the running, I feel much better for it. The main concern I have, though, is going through the weekend without drinking and smoking. 

I wouldn't be missing much. There is no nightlife around here and the pubs are such that I wouldn't be missing all that much if I stayed in. However, when I return home in December, or possibly before that if I get some time off, I may end up hitting town pretty hard. That's what I usually do when I'm home. I'm usually out talking to girls and you can do this better with some of the ol' dutch courage, and when I drink...I smoke. It's something of a chain.

Learning to talk to girls sober could be the savior of my health. Haha. 

• 3 months later...
On October 8, 2016 at 2:14 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Giving up battered Cod is crazy talk.

And yet I did just this. Been dropping weight quite steadily since the New Year.

My exercise routine at the YMCA has been basketball, steam room, swimming laps and then ending with jacuzzi on my joints, 6 days a week before my work shift and on the wkends, Wednesdays have been my rest day.

Met with nutritionist with help for my grocery list. I pretty much eat all the veggies and fruit I want, only drinking 100% juices like cherry, pineapple and grapefruit, none of that juice cocktail crap that is like 10% juice. For carbonated drink I have one a day of either Stevia leaf extract or Selzer water. Have completely cut out all flour, sugars and potatoes.

For proteins have been consuming light meats ( Chicken, Tilapia, Tuna ) and darker beans also Almonds and Sunflower seeds. 

Shredded Wheat (w/blueberries) and Soy milk with a juice breakfasts.

A highly recommended bread is Ezekiel breads, its flourless. For potato substitute try sweet potato or winter squash. TV snacks have had lite popcorn and/or nuts.

Havent went hungry at all, as I mentioned I have as many fruits andvegetables as I want and this diet and exercise routine has worked pretty great for me this year.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

And yet I did just this. Been dropping weight quite steadily since the New Year.

My exercise routine at the YMCA has been basketball, steam room, swimming laps and then ending with jacuzzi on my joints, 6 days a week before my work shift and on the wkends, Wednesdays have been my rest day.

Met with nutritionist with help for my grocery list. I pretty much eat all the veggies and fruit I want, only drinking 100% juices like cherry, pineapple and grapefruit, none of that juice cocktail crap that is like 10% juice. For carbonated drink I have one a day of either Stevia leaf extract or Selzer water. Have completely cut out all flour, sugars and potatoes.

For proteins have been consuming light meats ( Chicken, Tilapia, Tuna ) and darker beans also Almonds and Sunflower seeds. 

Shredded Wheat (w/blueberries) and Soy milk with a juice breakfasts.

A highly recommended bread is Ezekiel breads, its flourless. For potato substitute try sweet potato or winter squash. TV snacks have had lite popcorn and/or nuts.

Havent went hungry at all, as I mentioned I have as many fruits andvegetables as I want and this diet and exercise routine has worked pretty great for me this year.

That's a really good exercise and diet regime.  My one quibble is that any fruit juice is like drinking a cup of sugar water.  Eat whole fruit instead, where the fiber mitigates the sugar impact: soluble fiber bonds to the fructose as you digest so it doesn't cause an insulin spike.  If you want a beverage other than water, then unsweetened tea containing flavonoids (e.g. green tea) is a better bet.

7 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I wonder how OP did in the end????

I bump this thread because I'm feeling very unhealthy (physically and mentally) lately and feel pretty overwhelmed by it all and I like reading others overcoming stuff like this. 

Theda,  please do not call yourself lazy. Lack of motivation is a symptom of depression. I have been fighting it for a good chunk of my life. Thinking of lack of motivation as laziness is part of the disease. I think the world of you, Theda. Don't think any the less of yourself. 

10 hours ago, maarsen said:

Theda,  please do not call yourself lazy. Lack of motivation is a symptom of depression. I have been fighting it for a good chunk of my life. Thinking of lack of motivation as laziness is part of the disease. I think the world of you, Theda. Don't think any the less of yourself. 

Thank you friend - I always think of myself as just lazy and not worthy of even changing/getting better which is why I mentioned mentally unhealthy as well but I'm hoping it's just winter because I was getting better I just hatr winter so much 

22 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

That's a really good exercise and diet regime.  My one quibble is that any fruit juice is like drinking a cup of sugar water.  Eat whole fruit instead, where the fiber mitigates the sugar impact: soluble fiber bonds to the fructose as you digest so it doesn't cause an insulin spike.  If you want a beverage other than water, then unsweetened tea containing flavonoids (e.g. green tea) is a better bet.

Thanks for good advice. I havent perfected my diet yet, but its vastly improved and ive been able to maintain it without food cravings or constant hunger issues so its working satisfactory for now. I do drink tea regularly, neglected to mention that. The cherry juice, cranberry and pineapple juice is something I shouldnt overdo but I am swimming and using those juices (in moderation only a cup a day) to relieve joint irritation and of course shedding pounds helps with that as well. As for fruits i've been consuming blueberry, pineapple, grapefruit, apple, bannana and pears. Always one of those daily plus the cup of juice so theres a decent variety and moderation.

Another thing I remember the nutritionist recommending was that if I do have any cheese was to make it mozzarelli string cheese, so ive baked that onto squash a few times but again its something to only use in moderation.

As for vitamins im only taking cod liver oil, fish oil and a little apple cider vinegar each morning. So far feeling pretty healthy. Longer term I'm wanting to tweak a few things diet wise, and gradually increase my swimming laps as the year progresses.

For something completely different, check the site 'Nutritious Movement' which is very different from any exercise based approach to lifestyle.   Biomechanic Katy Bowman has a whole body approach that is very different and to get started you don't need much.  Basically, your feet and a place to walk.  She has lots of suggestions for when at work as well as at home and at play.  Can't say enough.

https://nutritiousmovement.com/

On 07/02/2017 at 10:39 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

Thank you friend - I always think of myself as just lazy and not worthy of even changing/getting better which is why I mentioned mentally unhealthy as well but I'm hoping it's just winter because I was getting better I just hatr winter so much 

*hugs* Do you have access to an SAD light?  A friend who recently moved to London from Seattle swears by hers... she sits in front of it for five or six hours a day to make up for the winter sunlight to which she's accustomed.

I always think January new workout regimes etc. are a nasty trick to play.  Motivation and energy are rare in winter.  Focus on surviving to spring first...

Archived