US Elections 16- The Scowl & The Pussy-Crat.

James Arryn

DunderMuffin;

I'll see your google and raise you a wikipedia.

smear campaignsmear tactic or simplysmear is a negative political tactic that launches an unfair or untrue political attack on an opposing candidate in order to undermine their political position and sway the opinions of the voters and gain support.

That's where I'm getting mine.

Okay, let's run with yours. You objected to 'untrue' in the dictionary definition, so presumably that means you're hanging your hat on 'unfair'. By all means, please offer an argument to the effect that a contextualized recording of a person's own unscripted words is unfair to them. I'm honestly intrigued.

5 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Stop treating me like I'm in court, I conceded he is right, he won the argument.

Yea, you totally weren't sarcastic right after conceding he was right. 

Again, how is the media replaying what Trump said a smear campaign? How is it being unfair and how is it not truthful?  

http://shorensteincenter.org/pre-primary-news-coverage-2016-trump-clinton-sanders/

So what explains the news media’s early fascination with Trump? The answer is that journalists were behaving in their normal way. Although journalists play a political brokering role in presidential primaries, their decisions are driven by news values rather than political values.  Journalists are attracted to the new, the unusual, the sensational—the type of story material that will catch and hold an audience’s attention. Trump fit that need as no other candidate in recent memory. Trump is arguably the first bona fide media-created presidential nominee. Although he subsequently tapped a political nerve, journalists fueled his launch.

For her part, Clinton might have wished that the Democratic race received even less attention than it did, given that her coverage was the least favorable of the leading contenders, Democratic and Republican. Month after month, as Figure 6 indicates, her coverage was more negative than positive. There was only one month in the whole of 2015 where the tone of her coverage was not in the red and, even then, it barely touched positive territory. During the first half of the year, excluding neutral references, it averaged three to one negative statements over positive statements. Her coverage in the second half of the year was more favorable, but still damning. The ratio for that period was more than three to two negative over positive.

In honour of the thread title:

The Scowl and the Pussy-tat broke, you see, 
   On a beautiful campaign day, 
They talked of cunny, and all of the money, 
   Wrapped up in the Donald's toupee. 
The Scowl got out of the taxi cab, 
   And said to the open mic, 
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, I'll grab, 
    What a beautiful Pussy I like, 
         I like, 
         I like! 
What a beautiful Pussy I like!" 

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/the_horror_is_everything_the_gop_could_tolerate_about_trump.html

Hours before we learned of Trump’s boasts about grabbing women “by the pussy,” the Republican nomineeaffirmed his false belief that the Central Park 5—five teenagers, four of them black and one Latino, convicted on charges of attacking and raping a 28-year-old white woman, all five since exonerated by DNA evidence—were guilty. “They admitted they were guilty,” Trump said. “The police doing the original investigation say they were guilty. The fact that that case was settled with so much evidence against them is outrageous. And the woman, so badly injured, will never be the same.”

The Republican Party will tolerate racist condemnation of Mexican immigrants and Latino Americans at large. It will tolerate the same racist condemnation of Muslims, even as both attacks feed an atmosphere of paranoia, distrust, and violence.

There’s a logic here, and it’s not hard to see.

Yup. The logic is not hard to see. If white women leave Trump, he is done. His comments are obviously highly offensive to that group. His comments were probably offensive to even some marginally leaning Republican men.

Minorities were easy targets. The white voting block the GOP relies on, not so much.

Harakiri said from previous thread "I wonder how republicans feel being forced to carry something to term."

Horza replied "I think we can all learn a lot from the way the party of personal responsibility is handling this."

LongRider responds in haiku:

I read your postings
coffee now slowly drips off
the screen and keyboard

2 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/10/the_horror_is_everything_the_gop_could_tolerate_about_trump.html

Yup. The logic is not hard to see. If white women leave Trump, he is done. His comments are obviously highly offensive to that group. His comments were probably offensive to even some marginally leaning Republican men.

Minorities were easy targets. The white voting block the GOP relies on, not so much.

That's a good article as it lays out what they ultimately liked about Trump; 

For more than a year, Trump has preached state repression of nonwhites.

But insult the white women!  Where's the fainting couch!  What a bunch of shit heads.

3 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

In honour of the thread title:

The Scowl and the Pussy-tat broke, you see, 
   On a beautiful campaign day, 
They talked of cunny, and all of the money, 
   Wrapped up in the Donald's toupee. 
The Scowl got out of the taxi cab, 
   And said to the open mic, 
"O lovely Pussy! O Pussy, I'll grab, 
    What a beautiful Pussy I like, 
         I like, 
         I like! 
What a beautiful Pussy I like!" 

Well done!

17 minutes ago, LongRider said:

But insult the white women!  Where's the fainting couch!  What a bunch of shit heads.

And here come Paul Ryan, Pence, etc, etc, ridin on in with their white cloaks and white horses.

Paul Ryan's sigil is Atlas Shouldering the World. House Words: We're livin in an Ayn Rand Novel!

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

And here come Paul Ryan, Pence, etc, etc, ridin on in with their white cloaks and white horses.

Paul Ryan's sigil is Atlas Shouldering the World. House Words: We're livin in an Ayn Rand Novel!

Mel Brooks was always way ahead of his time.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I am very pleased that I have never supported Trump.

That's not a high bar to set. ;) But it does say a lot about your character. Which we already knew was of high quality.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I think it was a segment on TYT, where someone said as much. You can disrespect Latinos, Muslims, POWs, but as soon as you disrespect white women you're done for.

Archived