Aegon the Conqueror and Tywin Lannister

liongate122

On 10/17/2016 at 2:54 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I don't agree. Since we have no idea why Aegon attacked Westeros with WMD or if he felt any remorse about the people he had killed I don't see the reason why we should assume that he was better than Tywin.

For some reason I cannot quote your most recent post. Anyways, you have no proof. I have no proof. We have no idea. But ho estly, people hate Tywin. Everyone seemed to like Aegon based on his well regarded persona in history. Maegar Targaryen is regarded more like Tywin than Aegon. I just see no reason to believe they were similar. Dany will unleash dragons on Westeros. I do not think she is a sociopath. She is hot headed and arrogant, but not a sociopath. If Tywin had dragons...everyone would be dead. He would just slaughter everyone. (not literally everyone, but it would be a lot more horrific than Aegon or Daenerys I believe.

7 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

For some reason I cannot quote your most recent post. Anyways, you have no proof. I have no proof. We have no idea. But ho estly, people hate Tywin. Everyone seemed to like Aegon based on his well regarded persona in history. Maegar Targaryen is regarded more like Tywin than Aegon. I just see no reason to believe they were similar. Dany will unleash dragons on Westeros. I do not think she is a sociopath. She is hot headed and arrogant, but not a sociopath. If Tywin had dragons...everyone would be dead. He would just slaughter everyone. (not literally everyone, but it would be a lot more horrific than Aegon or Daenerys I believe.

Maegor was mad, Tywin wasn't. Tywin was a cunning monster and he was more like Daemon than Maegor. Aegon was "well regarded" because he was the first Targ king and after what we have read in twoiaf it seems that his sisters did the most difficult job yet they were not  and I don't think that all those who died because of Aegon and his dragons would had liked him. Dany has quite a few signs of her becoming what you call a sociopath, she had ordered genocide and she doesn't care about it. At least Tywin hadn't had done the same.

13 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Dany has quite a few signs of her becoming what you call a sociopath, she had ordered genocide and she doesn't care about it. At least Tywin hadn't had done the same.

How? We have been in her head. We can see she cares about other people. She wants to save Eroeh. She wants to save the slaves. She cares about their lives. I'm sorry, but we have tons of proof she is not a sociopath. Tywin Lannister wouldn't care if Eroah was raped or if slaves suffered! You must be joking. Are you just trolling me now? When did she order a genecide? Are you referring to the show? Because sorry, that doesn't happen in the books. The last thing Daenerys does is meet Khal Jhaqo in the Dothraki Sea. (Or was it Khal Pono?) The last thing she ordered as a Queen was an uncomfortable peace with Astapor. Sorry, the show is not cannon. Is this website called "GameofThrones.org"? No, it's not. 

People cannot BECOME sociopaths. You are either born with antisocial personality disorder or they are not. You are really not understanding this word. I thought this was a common word. Aegon and Daenerys can both be tyrants. That does not mean they do not care about human life. Tywin is most certainly a tyrant, and I believe (although am not sure) that he has antisocial personality disorder. Never once in the books did he ever show any sign of caring about Tyrion, Cersei, Jamie, or any other character for that matter. He doesn't even blink and child murder, breaching guest rights, or anything! You have to be trolling if you really think Daenerys has that disorder. I'm sorry, but NO. 

15 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

How? We have been in her head. We can see she cares about other people.

True. She cared very much about those two girls who were most likely children that she ordered to be tortured because in her own mind their father might knew something, she cared very much about those 12 years old and even younger who she ordered to die because of who their parents were, she cared very much about those 163 she ordered to torture without a trial, she cared very much about those people who sold themselves to slavery in order to save themselves from her and she even took their money.

When did she order a genecide?

When she ordered the death of the all the males who were over 12 and wore tokars.

You are really not understanding this word. I

Maybe I don't understand it because there is no such word. 

People cannot BECOME sociopaths. You are either born with antisocial personality disorder or they are not.

Dany has many signs that she has antisocial personality disorder.

child murder

Same with Dany.

Never once in the books did he ever show any sign of caring about Tyrion, Cersei, Jamie, or any other character for that matter.

He cared about Joanna.

On ‎20‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 7:59 AM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

No, not everybody would be dead if Tywin had dragons - Tywin would install fear in the population that dragons could and would descend on them, as he installed fear by dealing with the Tarbecks and Reynes. Then he would let that fear work. He was a good King's Hand - he knew how to make the lands work at a profit. There is no profit in killing everyone. For Tywin, dragons would have just been another tool.

As for Tywin hate, and Aegon love - is there any indication that Aegon was loved in his own time?

History is written by the victors. Aegon the Conqueror was one such. The history books cannot be trusted. Nor can we trust any tales of popularity that were handed down. Both are more likely propaganda than anything else. We know he killed many people when conquering Westeros. The survivors will have hated him - but since they valued their lives, they bent the knee and shut their mouths. We don't know what they thought of Aegon. We can say they respected him - him, and his ability to inflict death on them.

Tywin's case is different: we know how Tywin is seen in his own time, but we don't know how history will see him.  We can't know, because we don't know who will write those history books. The fight isn't over yet.

Tywin had his victories, but he wasn't the victor. Robert Baratheon was, he won the Iron Throne. Tywin was just someone who bent the knee. To Robert. And before Robert, to Aerys. Afterwards, to Joffrey. And in the end, he lost - he died by the hands of his own son.
Like Aegon, Tywin is respected. That respect was certainly paired with (if not synonymous for) fear. But unlike Aegon, Tywin had to put up with some people who neither respected nor feared him: the kings he served.

When Tywin offered Cersei, Aerys let Tywin know that Tywin was but a servant, and that his heir would never marry a servant's daughter. Robert was not great on respect, either. And those two were the people who set the tone among the nobility. Where the King led, they would follow. But the fates of the Tarbecks and the Reynes ensured that most only dared do so behind Tywin's back.

I don't think Dany will unleash the dragons on Westeros. She had that chance, and she blew it by unleashing them on Meereen. And now she only controls one of them, barely. Maybe Tyrion and Victarion will manage to tame the Dragons, and unleash them in Westeros - in which case Dany might actually follow to get the dragons back, and thus free Westeros from Euron.

I expected her to go and conquer Westeros for so long. And now it looks as if Aegon or Euron will do it instead. And I expect Euron to do much more damage than Aegon. By now I fear she'll go to Westeros only to visit the Wall -  because she'll realize some connection between the Shadows of Asshai, the Doom of Valyria, and the White Walkers at the Wall. At least she's out of Meereen.

13 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

True. She cared very much about those two girls who were most likely children that she ordered to be tortured because in her own mind their father might knew something, she cared very much about those 12 years old and even younger who she ordered to die because of who their parents were, she cared very much about those 163 she ordered to torture without a trial, she cared very much about those people who sold themselves to slavery in order to save themselves from her and she even took their money.

When she ordered the death of the all the males who were over 12 and wore tokars.

Maybe I don't understand it because there is no such word. 

Dany has many signs that she has antisocial personality disorder.

Same with Dany.

He cared about Joanna.

There is the word. Depression is not the official whole explanation for the symptons of Major Depressive Disorder, but we are allowed to say depressed or depression to describe this disorder. Saying a ridiculously long disorder when their are acceptable words written in webster's dictionary is just normal. I am sorry, but honesty, you are annoying. I feel like I am talking to a brick wall who cannot even imagine a dictionary word is a real word. Yes, in a rage, Dany killed people. Anger is an emotion. My entire point and one of the main symptons of the disease we are talking about is emotionlessly treating human life as valueless. Even when you make an argument, you actually support mine. I cannot argue with someone as illogical as you anymore. I am done hitting my head against a wall. Yes, I forgot the part of the book where we saw him with Joanna. Oh, is thst because it is just heresay, which you said was invalid when speaking of Aegon. Oh yeah, that is right hypocrite.

On 22/10/2016 at 5:56 AM, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

There is the word.

There is no reason to argue about what is or isn't a personality disorder there are people who are experts about this and this discussion doesn't belong to this thread.

In any case that doesn't really matter since Tywin doesn't seem to have signs of Antisocial personality disorder. He was *evil* when he needed to be, when someone bend the knee ha didn't harmed them like what he did for the Riverlanders who bend the knee or Lord Farman tried to rebel Tywin didn't attacked Fair Isle, he just sent a musician to sing "The Rains of Castamere". 

Yes, in a rage, Dany killed people.

She didn't just kill people, she committed genocide. You blame Tywin for killing the two Targ children and chose not to see the numberless so far children that Dany has killed and tortured. But let me guess the people in Slaver's Bay aren't Targaryens or Westerosi so they don't matter.

Yes, I forgot the part of the book where we saw him with Joanna. Oh, is thst because it is just heresay, which you said was invalid when speaking of Aegon.

BS. 

You basically said that Tywin didn't cared for anyone, I proved you wrong. You said that Dany hasn't killed any child, I again proved you wrong.  If  Tywin was a monster for killing two children and breaking a custom what is Dany for torturing and killing numberless so far children and committing genocide?

In any case you said that Aegon was better than Tywin without having any clue about Aegon. The fact is that he attacked a continent without a provocation with WMD and made himself the King. So by definition he has killed many innocent people just because he wanted to become the King, hence he is at least the same kind of monster that Tywin was.

On 10/22/2016 at 8:56 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

She didn't just kill people, she committed genocide. You blame Tywin for killing the two Targ children and chose not to see the numberless so far children that Dany has killed and tortured. But let me guess the people in Slaver's Bay aren't Targaryens or Westerosi so they don't matter.

You basically said that Tywin didn't cared for anyone, I proved you wrong. You said that Dany hasn't killed any child, I again proved you wrong.  If  Tywin was a monster for killing two children and breaking a custom what is Dany for torturing and killing numberless so far children and committing genocide?

With the exception of once in rage, Dany has not tortured anyone. Danaerys is screwed up. I have never once argued she is not. Are you seriously trying to play the race card which is so completely unrelated to our topic? I am suggesting Tywin is sociopathic while Daenerys or Robert Baratheon or Aegon the Conqueror are bloodthirsty abd perhaps monsters in their own right, but not sociopathic. I have never condomed or suggested anything Daenerys has done has been right. However, she has a concious. We are there for her PoV. She is trying to do the right thing through most of ADwD. Look up the word genocide in the dictionary, Daenerys has not done that, at all. Unless something happened in the show, but I am talking about the books. She sacked a city. She used highly questionable intereogation techniques to try to stop murders. Howver, are you an idiot? The slaves Daenerys is defending, freeing, working with, ect. are also Ghiscari (not all of them, but many). Tywin is personally responsible for sacking King's Landing, as well as literally killing every single Tarbeck and Reyne. Do you think the washerwomen were spared? At least Daenerys attempts to punish rapists and murderers. Tywin encourages it. The Mountain is a monster. He makes Daario or Ramsay Bolton look mild in comparison. And by the way, from what I have read, Slaver's Bay is not heavily populated. King's Landing has more people than Meereen and the Riverlands probably contains a lot more people than Astapor or Yunkai combined.

The race card thing pisses me off. I spend all my time on here asking for more humanization of both te Meerenese and the Dothraki. You just tried to change an argument by wildly accusing racism instead of focusing on our topic. I do not agree with all of Daenerys choices. However, she makes them in an attempt to do th right thing mostly, with the cases of torture (happened once) and the killing of 163 slavers to make up for the killed slaves. The sacking of Astapor appears to have been less horrible than most other sacks in the books...but perhaps I am wrong . We did not have a PoV of yhe battle. I don not know if people were throwing down their weopans and then being murdered, or how much rape took place (but since Daenerys army was basically unsullied at this point, probably not much). But none of this is even on topic. I was always talking about the morivation behind Daenerys' actions vs Tywin's, and not who caused more death and destruction. For sure Aegon did more than Tywin, I do not think Daenerys has. I think Tywin is responsible for a lot more death and rape than Daenerys.... so far. And for what you said about clinical diseases. My mother is a clinical psychiatrist. To quote her, "Tywin sounds like he could suffer from antisocial personality disorder. Daenerys does not sound that way." Granted, maybe he does not. Maybe you are right and he loved Joanna, but he certainly is fucked in the way he treats other people. And Tywin did not kill 2 children. Do you that King's Landing and the Riverlands are full of only adults? I am talking about motivation, not purely the actions or the consequences of those actions. And maybe you judge Daenerys so much while revering Tywin because one of them is a man. (see how randomly calling someone a racist or sexist when there is no evidence of that is not cool and basically shows a complete lack of ability to actually debate! Yeah, I am basically calling you an unpleasant (insert whatever negative word you want to be called). Have a nice day^^) Oh yeah, and people with antisocial personality disorder are not just insane murderers. Of course he didnt murder people who bent the knee, he was a good politician. Even as his hater I can admit that. There are a ton of studies showing that many CEOs of large corporations are high functioning individuals who suffer from APD (i shortened it dammit). Havig this disorder does not make you an idiotic murderer, it just means you do not care about other human beings and have a detachment from human life and therefor do not care about the suffering of those around you. Case and point, showing no qualms about having Tyrions wife raped repeatedly. Has that happened? Has Daenerys ever showed NO remorse for her negative actions? I can answer myself. NO. She felt guilt for nailing the Meerenese up. She felt guilt for whst happened in Astapor. She felt guilt for her dragons actions. If she had seen Shakaz torturing the Meerenese women, I garuntee she would have regretted her decision and told him to stop. Do you read the same books as me? Can you really not see that Danerys and Tywin are differnet?

1 hour ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

snip

What Dany did was a genocide. You may not like it but when she started to kill the children and people not because of their actions but because of their culture she started commited genocide. Dany has signs of ASPD, Tywin on the other hand doesn't, he is just a monster.

Howver, are you an idiot?

Personal attacks! How original.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

What Dany did was a genocide. You may not like it but when she started to kill the children and people not because of their actions but because of their culture she started commited genocide. Dany has signs of ASPD, Tywin on the other hand doesn't, he is just a monster.

Personal attacks! How original.

When did she start killing children because of their culture? The slaves are a part of that culture and I am for sure she never attempted to kill every person ot Ghiscari heritage. Genocide is when you attempt to kill every single person of an ethnicity. I am 100% sure Daenerys never even thought about that, nor did anyone even mention that as an option. The slave masters are not am entire race even if they were, Daenerys never tried to wipe them out. The Ghiscari people are made up of more slaves, commoners, and merchants than wise masters. GRRM has even put specific numbers in some cases that show slaves far outnumber the masters. You know, the slaves, the people Daenerys is trying to help. What do you call it when Tywin ordered te murder and rape of the Riverlands people? I do not remember the part of the books where the Riverlands smallfolk did angthing except be from the Riverlands. I Tywin had fought a war like Daenerys, he would have convinced the Riverland smallfolk to join him to overthrow te lords and ladies of the Riverlands. Neither character attempted genecide, a word you clearly do not know the meaning of, but Tywin was much closer. To quote you, what, slaves and commoners are not apart of theh culture? Huh, huh????? They are abd Daenerys never makes an attempt to whipe out all the Masters amyways. Except in one fucking case of ill advised torture, she has consistently protected innocent life. She has cupbearers that Shakaz has repeatedly told her to kill, but she has continued to protect. WHEN DID SHE EVER ATTEMPT GENECIDE? SHOW ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE. You have nothing backing up your arguments. 

5 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

When did she start killing children because of their culture?

Why did she killed those 12 years old?

5 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

I am 100% sure Daenerys never even thought about that, nor did anyone even mention that as an option.

The fact that Dany hadn't thought about this doesn't matter.

On 10/25/2016 at 10:44 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Why did she killed those 12 years old?

The fact that Dany hadn't thought about this doesn't matter.

When did she kill 12 year olds? Give me the quote. I have no idea what you are talking about. 

And yes it does, it is exactly what we were talking about : a psychological disease... And again, she NEVER attempted genocide.

When did she kill 12 year olds? Give me the quote. I have no idea what you are talking about. 

"Unsullied!" Dany galloped before them, her silver-gold braid flying behind her, her bell chiming with every stride. "Slay the Good Masters, slay the soldiers, slay every man who wears a tokar or holds a whip, but harm no child under twelve, and strike the chains off every slave you see." She raised the harpy's fingers in the air ... and then she flung the scourge aside. "Freedom!" she sang out. "Dracarys! Dracarys!"

Hence 12 years old have to die because of what they wearing and who they were, without examine their actions. And the fact that she said 12 years old doesn't mean that the unsullied would kill only 12 years old and older. She ordered children to die because of their culture.

And yes it does, it is exactly what we were talking about : a psychological disease... And again, she NEVER attempted genocide.

No it doesn't. It doesn't matter what she wanted to do, she killed people just for their culture and not their actions hence she committed genocide.

51 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Hence 12 years old have to die because of what they wearing and who they were, without examine their actions. And the fact that she said 12 years old doesn't mean that the unsullied would kill only 12 years old and older. She ordered children to die because of their culture.

No it doesn't. It doesn't matter what she wanted to do, she killed people just for their culture and not their actions hence she committed genocide.

That is not genecide. Genecide is attempting to extinguish an entire ethnicity or race, usually systematically. What you are describing is a hate crime. Again, when? Prove it. Prove it. When did she kill people because of their ethnicity? She sacked a city. That is called war. Did Tywin ask the Riverlanders anything? Did they do anything to Tywin or his army? NO No No. It is war, she is literally just telling them to spare slaves. Its called being way nicer than Tywin ever was. Tywin spared no one. No one under 12. No one who was not in power. He killled everyone.Again, the wise masters are not a race or an ethnicity. They have the same ethnicity as the slaves. Ypur example is wrong, absolutley and completely. Telling slaves to kill their masters and soldiers...is not genecide. Its certainly starting a slave rebellion and a war, but its not genecide. Even if the wise madters were a race, WHICH THEY ARE NOT, genecide means killing EVERYONE of a race, not the ones above a certain age. And I am sorry, but I am pretty sure she excepted the surrender when they threw down their weopans as Astapor is still heavily populated pre-Cleon rule.  I literally just finished A Dance With Dragons on my third reread. Those things did not happen. You need to invest in a dictionary, and also take serious thought into how you judge people. If Tywin is better than Dany, than I'm a monkey's uncle (and we are not talking about military strategy here, but compassion). And oh yeah, by the way, Yunkai and Meereen and New Ghis and maybe ...Mantarys and Some others... are all full of Ghiscari. Again, she has never attempted genecide. Look the word up. 

7 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Do you understand that she killed children because of their culture? 

No I don't understand this. While I don't support Dany's actions, which seem vengeful rather than just, she was totally motivated by her horror at the actions of both the Astapori in the brutal treatment of the unsullied and the Mereenese with the nailing of 163 slave children to crosses as a fuck-you to Dany. You seem to be suggesting that the brutal enslavement, mutilation and exploitation of innocent people was just part of their culture that they should have been allowed to go on enjoying at the expense of all those enslaved peoples. Slavery is a profit making enterprise not an aspect of culture.

In Mereen, for example, Dany does make efforts to adopt local cultural practices and customs, to the extent of entering into a local marriage to try to bring about peace. That is at odds with the idea that she was trying to annihilate their culture as opposed to ending the slave trade. 

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

No she didn't. She killed slavers which are businessmen. It's like if she went to Walmart and killed everyone that worked there. Not nexessarily right, but obviosuly not a whole culture. Slavers are pwople who work in a certain culture not every individual. As I said already, I belive she accepted the surrender of those not fighting or involved directly as slavers. The slaves are Ghiscari too. How many times do I have to say it. THE SLAVES ARE ALSO GHISCARI!!! THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS YOU INSENSITIVE FOOL. STOP IGNORING THEIR PRESENCE IN THE CULTURE. Genicdie means systematically wiping out a whole culturr not killing certain people within a culture. She never attempts genicide. NEVER. 

Just now, Wall Flower said:

No I don't understand this. While I don't support Dany's actions, which seem vengeful rather than just, she was totally motivated by her horror at the actions of both the Astapori in the brutal treatment of the unsullied and the Mereenese with the nailing of 163 slave children to crosses as a fuck-you to Dany. You seem to be suggesting that the brutal enslavement, mutilation and exploitation of innocent people was just part of their culture that they should have been allowed to go on enjoying at the expense of all those enslaved peoples. Slavery is a profit making enterprise not an aspect of culture.

In Mereen, for example, Dany does make efforts to adopt local cultural practices and customs, to the extent of entering into a local marriage to try to bring about peace. That is at odds with the idea that she was trying to annihilate their culture as opposed to ending the slave trade. 

Thank god for someone sane. Thank you.

Just now, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Also, 13 year olds are considered adults in GRRMs world. She killed fhem because they were inslaving other people and to free those people from slavery. That is called a slave revolt. Not a genicide. If you want to talk about Racism in ASOIAF, then how about mentioning that all the main characters are basically white or that a white person is some sort of hero to all the other races (Dany) or that Westeros inexplainably had three of the only white cultures (who all look very european) come there or that all the dark skin cultures have mostly been replaces by light skin ones... ect ect. Tons of actual biasis GRRM probably unconciously has, but a slave revolt is not a genicide!!!

10 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Also, 13 year olds are considered adults in GRRMs world.

Utter bs. Not even in GRRTH 13 years old are adults. If those 13 years old were fair game why Dany in AGOT and Sansa were not? Let me guess because they were Westerosi and not comical 

10 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

No she didn't. She killed slavers which are businessmen. It's like if she went to Walmart and killed everyone that worked there. Not nexessarily right, but obviosuly not a whole culture. Slavers are pwople who work in a certain culture not every individual. As I said already, I belive she accepted the surrender of those not fighting or involved directly as slavers. The slaves are Ghiscari too. How many times do I have to say it. THE SLAVES ARE ALSO GHISCARI!!! THEY ARE HUMAN BEINGS YOU INSENSITIVE FOOL. STOP IGNORING THEIR PRESENCE IN THE CULTURE. Genicdie means systematically wiping out a whole culturr not killing certain people within a culture. She never attempts genicide. NEVER. 

Stop using personal attacks. 

In a place called Slaver’s Bay, slavery is a cultural aspect, a terrible one but still a cultural aspect. Dany killed children because of their culture hence it doesn’t matter about her motivation she committed genocide.

12 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

In a place called Slaver’s Bay, slavery is a cultural aspect, a terrible one but still a cultural aspect. Dany killed children because of their culture hence it doesn’t matter about her motivation she committed genocide. Also in Mereen Dany becomes a slaver herself. 

On 10/27/2016 at 11:48 PM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

In a place called Slaver’s Bay, slavery is a cultural aspect, a terrible one but still a cultural aspect. Dany killed children because of their culture hence it doesn’t matter about her motivation she committed genocide.

Genocide is the intentional action to destroy a people (usually defined as an ethnicnationalracial, or religiousgroup) in whole or in part. The hybrid word is a combination of génos ("race, people") and -cide ("to kill").[1] The United Nations Genocide Conventiondefines it as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group".[2][3]

Its not genicide. Genicide is the the attempt to wipe a culture out based on race or ethnicity. It is not what she did. Right or wrong, it was not genicide any more than what Tywin did.

Archived