Sabaa Tahir

Bennis of the Brown Stench

I've searched and I cannot believe there is not a thread about the Ember in the Ashes series. There is some romance and dystopian stuff but the series is a lot deeper. If you are interested in Arabic culture there is a lot of stuff here to discover.

I thought "An Ember in the Ashes" was great but the recently released "A Torch Against the Night" was even better. The novels are grounded in lots of history (Roman Empire) and present day troubles (refugees).

Very surprised this board doesn't have a discussion about this. Do you guys dislike YA?

Ember in the Ashes was okay, but I don't think it's particularly unique or evocative of Arabic culture or anything- it's a fairly standard teen-oppressing dystopia, just in a fantasy desert rather than future-SF. I've read worse. I've read better.

Eta: why is every new YA-SFF book suddenly a teen-oppressing dystopia, anyway? I know Hunger Games was popular, but even Harry fucking Potter and Twilight didn't seem to have that glaring an effect on what was published afer them. Almost everything making a splash in that market now seems to be aiming for that same niche.

• 11 months later...

Archived