The Iron Throne's Debt

The Lord Bastard

On 17.10.2016 at 7:50 PM, Maester of Valyria said:

It's not his fault if a ship sinks or a caravan is taken by bandits. He wouldn't have had to do this very often to amass a significant amount. In addition to which he could simply have made successful investments (say with a threefold return) that he presented to the Crown as having only made a twofold return.

Precisely. He could easily have skimmed from top of what he actually was bringing in.

He still had to be better than competition. He could not create losses where the alternative had been no losses.

Well yes, of course he blamed it on Robert, maybe not to his face but certainly to Arryn and the Small Council.

And probably his face, too. "I´m coming up with the money - more than my beleaguered predecessor did. Even I cannot squeeze as much as Your Grace wants."

Baelish almost certainly took steps to create a debt that was sustainable in good times, but would quickly become a millstone when chaos erupted (as he helped ensure it would). Robert didn't care about a debt that wasn't urgent, and I imagine the Small Council had more pressing immediate concerns.

More importantly, keeping the books a mess was probably intentional. Cleaning out Crown finances and delivering a profitably working system clearly spelt out in books... would have been a quick way to get fired in favour of a nobler replacement, like Tyrion or Rosby, to do the now easy job.

We also know that the budget includes wages for people who don't exist (ex. Red Keep dungeons)

And the dungeons have not had a chaplain since Baelor the Blessed. No hand or ruler since, not Baelor Breakspear, nor Aegon V nor Tywin, has thought to stop that salary.

Archived