Humans (Channel 4/AMC)

AncalagonTheBlack

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Nice first episode. 

Hide contents

I thought they'd go that way in the first season, Laura being a lawyer.  That always felt like a gun left on the mantelpiece.

Although, if they'd done this plotline in season 1 it would probably have been Anita being the object of the case. It's also a handy way to continue to include the family in the storyline, otherwise it might have been difficult to really connect them to the main plotline.

On 2/11/2016 at 1:35 PM, WinterKing said:

I really like this series, it is entertaining and raises the interesting questions about ethics, morals and conscience/self-awareness at the same time.

Yes, it's great. It could do with a bit more focus on the economics of the situation, though. With so many people being made redundant by Synthetics, who can still afford to buy anything? I'd guess there'd need to be really generous unemployment benefits...

• 3 weeks later...

Oh that ending!  Sneaky, duplicitous bastard!  And Max taking off on his own... Such a good season so far. 

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:37 PM, felice said:

Yes, it's great. It could do with a bit more focus on the economics of the situation, though. With so many people being made redundant by Synthetics, who can still afford to buy anything? I'd guess there'd need to be really generous unemployment benefits...

Maybe the price of goods has actually gone down because they're so much cheaper to produce.

:lmao: 

2 hours ago, Commodore said:

It's sort of clumsy the way they try to shoehorn in all these ethical issues (transgenderism, automation, AI consciousness)

Wat? 

2 hours ago, Commodore said:

It's sort of clumsy the way they try to shoehorn in all these ethical issues (transgenderism, automation, AI consciousness)

That's the entire point of the show, and you think they're shoehorning it in?

On 23/11/2016 at 5:59 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

Wat? 

I assume he's referring to the humans identifying as synths. The analogy is a bit of a stretch, I think.

On 23/11/2016 at 5:59 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

That's the entire point of the show, and you think they're shoehorning it in?

Yeah, ethical issues are what makes it interesting. Automation is the central premise of the show, and the consciousness stuff provides an actual plot.

• 3 months later...

Just watched season 2 on catch up.  Very enjoyable season. If it's renewed:

Spoiler

it's plot will really widen as all the synths have consciousness.

Not to mention the sub-plot of transferring consciousness either way. (Leo, perchance.)

I really felt for Pete and Karen, and for Athena finally letting go of her daughter.

And what will happen to poor Odi, getting rid of his consciousness only for it to come back?

It'll be interesting to see.  I hope it gets another season.

I may be the only one but this show connects with me in a way than Westworld ever did.  Largely because the Hawkins family whom I've grown fond of ( with the sometimes exception of Joe). Westworld has too many human douches as its primary, secondary, and background characters that I just don't  really give a fuck about it.  I actually like Humans' sociopath synth, Hester than any of them.

Anyway, I hope Humans get a third season. Even though the Season 2 finale would actually end the series on a good note (despite a few dangling plotlines).

17 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I may be the only one but this show connects with me in a way than Westworld ever did.  Largely because the Hawkins family whom I've grown fond of ( with the sometimes exception of Joe). Westworld has too many human douches as its primary, secondary, and background characters that I just don't  really give a fuck about it.  I actually like Humans' sociopath synth, Hester than any of them.

Anyway, I hope Humans get a third season. Even though the Season 2 finale would actually end the series on a good note (despite a few dangling plotlines).

I see your point completely.  Humans connects in a very different way, I think.  Westworld has a vast scope, but Humans feels very much more intimate.  I very much hope we'll get a third series too.

I enjoy Westworld a lot but I agree none of the characters are interesting enough on their own.  I was skeptical after the first episode.  It was the gradually unfolding philosophical foundations that makes it interesting.  My Tyrion Lannister test is: is any of these characters half as interesting as Tyrion?  Westworld failed that at first.

Humans passes it though.  These characters were interesting and inspired empathy from the start.  It's a different sort of show, out to do different sorts of things.

They are very different. In some ways Westworld is better. In others Humans is.

Westworld: The mystery and revelations. The big moments. (Some of the acting is phenomenal too - not that there's anything wrong with the acting in Humans)

Humans: Characters we genuinely care about - both human and synthetic, Oh... and Gemma Chan (apologies for being so very superficial :P)

Archived