Changing Theon's ethnicity was stupid

Khal Heldo

4 hours ago, dornishdragon said:

Dornish people (Salty and Sandy Dornishman) ae the ones that have Middle Eastern traits Ironborn do not they are Western European looking but with dark hair and some with dark eyes also. 

Wrong. The Greyjoys have black hair and tanned skin. These are Middle Eastern traits.

55 minutes ago, Khal Heldo said:

Wrong. The Greyjoys have black hair and tanned skin. These are Middle Eastern traits.

The only description available on the wiki for any greyjoy family member that could possibly refer to skin is "dark," which is inconclusive because it can be used to refer to white people with black hair and features. 

Find me a quote with tan skin (not tanned, as that refers to lighter people made darker by the sun) and I might believe you.  asearchoficeandfire.com is a useful tool.

Whaaaa'? 

I'm pretty sure the Greyjoys/Ironborn were never supposed to be Middle Eastern. That's the Martells and some of Essos. 

They were probably going for a Viking vibe with fair haired actors playing the Greyjoys. And anyways, does it honestly matter? Alfie Allen and Gemma Whealan are such great actors, I wouldn't change them for the world just to have dark haired actors. 

But then I hate the Greyjoys and I don't give a crap about what they look like. If Khal Drogo or Oberyn were blond I would probably feel the same way. 

15 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

The only description available on the wiki for any greyjoy family member that could possibly refer to skin is "dark," which is inconclusive because it can be used to refer to white people with black hair and features. 

Find me a quote with tan skin (not tanned, as that refers to lighter people made darker by the sun) and I might believe you.  asearchoficeandfire.com is a useful tool.

From A Clash of Kings, Theon II:

Theon turned to give her an appraising glance. He liked what he saw. Ironborn, he knew at a glance; lean and long-legged, with black hair cut short, wind-chafed skin, strong sure hands, a dirk at her belt. Her nose was too big and too sharp for her thin face, but her smile made up for it. 

51 minutes ago, Khal Heldo said:

From A Clash of Kings, Theon II:

Yes, black hair.  While my head hair is a very dark brown, my facial hair is black.  My dad and grandfather have black hair, and that side of the family, at least according to those DNA tests you send in the mail, is "pure" white (Western European mutt more or less). My mom's side is similar, with a little bit above trace of African. 

Wind-chafed skin is more a sunburnt look, and has nothing to do with the person's natural skin color besides it being light enough to show that redness.  

That does NOTHING for you buddy. 

On 11. oktober 2016 at 4:40 AM, Khal Heldo said:

In the books the Ironborns have Mid Eastern traits. For the show they cast the Scandinavian Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy and subsequently all other Ironborn are played by Scandinavian actors.

Alfie Allen is from England. Scandinavians are from Norway , Sweden and Denmark . 

I don't think GRRM intended for the Ironborn to be poc, but I've always thought they should've been in the show. Heck, they could've made them like they were some Rhoynar who refused to burn their ships and stay in shitty Dorne, so Nymeria told them to get fucked and they sailed to the Iron Islands and settled there. 

Frankly, the show could really use a LOT more diversity as it is. Back in season 2 I had hopes when they cast a black actor for Sallador Saan despite him being a white blonde Lyseni in the books, but then Thoros of Myr was white, the dude from the Iron Bank was white, Daario Naharis was white, the new Red Priestess was white. Shit, every Essos role should've gone to people of color as far as I'm concerned. 

On 10/11/2016 at 6:15 AM, TWR said:

I never got middle Eastern from the Ironborn, maybe black Irish. I know the Greyjoy's have dark hair and eyes, but I can't recall their complexion ever being described

The Greyjoys look Southern European but the rest of the ironborn run the gamut of dark haired and fair haired.

First off, the Ironborn are clearly inspired by the Vikings.

Secondly, the Greyjoys are supposed to have black hair, as do the Baratheons, and the Blackwoods, and a huge portion of what's known as "white people" in real life. Whoever has told you that white people are all blond and blue eyed has lied to you, buddy.

Third, the Greyjoys having black hair doesn't mean that all Ironborn have black hair, just that family.

Fourth, wind-chafed skin means just that. Tanned skin is not a "Middle Eastern trait", it's a trait of people who spend a lot of time in the sun. As Asha does, being a ship captain/viking equivalent.

Archived