Four or five elements

KnightTime

Is grrm using the Chinese five elements as theme for his world instead of the old four elements  of Europe and Asia?

instead of earth, fire, water and air:

- water

- fire

- metal

- earth

- wood

on the other hand, the others seams to me to bee the embodiment of ice...? Or are they servants of the drowned god in a cold climate? Is it a coincidence that the iron islands is situated where they are? Was the sea stone chair originally constructed by the others?

The five phases are usually used to describe the state in nature:

• Wood/Spring=(72 days) a period of growth, which generates abundant wood and vitality
  • Fire/Summer=(72 days) a period of swelling, flowering, brimming with fire and energy
  • Earth=(72 days=4x18days (4 transitional seasons x 18days each) the in-between transitional seasonal periods, or a separate 'season' known as Late Summer or Long Summer - in the latter case associated with leveling and dampening (moderation) and fruition
  • Metal/Autumn=(72 days) a period of harvesting and collecting
  • Water/Winter=(72 days) a period of retreat, where stillness and storage pervades

Read more here:

Five elements

I'm not convinced he's "using" either, but if he was I don't see why he would use a far-Asian concept on a clearly European based world. I mean sure there's the clearly Asian-ish Yi Ti, but we never even actually see there. And it's not like the Iron Islanders use iron any more than anyone else, it's just the only noteworthy resource on their otherwise gods-forsaken spits of land. The Rock islands don't sound as good. 

42 minutes ago, LordImp said:

My guess about the seastone chair is that it was built by a ancient race from Asshai. 

Yes. 

Archived