U.S. Elections: Trumpsterfire Unchained

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I think Gary Johnson should be invited to the third debate. Sure, he doesnt know much about the world outside out borders, but come on. A 15% floor in polls for who needs to be invited? If we just took polls on who should be invited to the debate , he'd get much higher numbers.

I also think it would be (at this point in time) an alternative for GoP voters who cant get themselves to vote for Clinton, and might actually help her electoral vote count a bit, except maybe in New Mexico.

Nice title!

Today's polling appears to have staunched the bleeding somewhat for Trump, having him only down 9 instead of 11 in a four-way race. This is still the highest overall total that Clinton has ever had over Trump, even from before the primaries. It'll probably still not be quite as bad as expected...assuming more things don't come out. Which is almost certainly not a safe assumption.

I also wish that Clinton would simply release her transcripts at this point and put more pressure on Trump to release his tax returns, but I don't think that'll help and it's probably wise not to divert any attention from the Trumpstain. 

2 minutes ago, Notone said:

I am more curious how it will influence the senate races, and possibly the house. The presidential race is I think de facto over. Unless something surprising happens.

Well, we'll all get to see the effects of one of the most coordinated ground games in history vs one of the least since the advent of the television, so that'll certainly be surprising.  And I'm sure the Clinton campaign has more to release at some point as well.  Remember, Trump refused to let his campaign do any opposition research on him, so they actually don't even know what Clinton might have so it'll be a surprise to everyone too!  Hurray!

4 minutes ago, Notone said:

I am more curious how it will influence the senate races, and possibly the house. The presidential race is I think de facto over. Unless something surprising happens.

The Republican Senators offering apologia for Trump deserve to be burned by their support.

I would expect that some of his primaries opponents did some digging Cruz (would look like the most natural candidate for that) or Kasich (he has stayed as far away from Trump as possible, and I don't think it was mere moral considerations), but yes. I also think there's more to come up about the Donald. 

3 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Remember, Trump refused to let his campaign do any opposition research on him, so they actually don't even know what Clinton might have so it'll be a surprise to everyone too!  Hurray!

Holy shit, what? I can't believe they didn't have someone do it anyway. They would have to, right?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The Republican Senators offering apologia for Trump deserve to be burned by their support.

And yet they probably won't. Not even remotely.

For about 40% of the Republican population the only thing that matters is voting Republican. Note that this is largely true for Democrats too; what we haven't seen is a Democrat so fucking insane that we would question this as being unreasonable. 

But right now, about 40% of the population is willing to vote for someone completely antithetical to their moral beliefs, to their ethical views, and even their political values so long as they are a Republican.

Furthermore, about half of that 40% are genuinely, happily, and enthusiastically for Trump. And they will vocally state this over and over again. For them, him wanting to grab women by the pussy is a feature, not a bug. For them, him talking about attempting to fuck other married women while he was married is a feature. For them, him wanting to appoint special prosecution and jail a private citizen because of his own judgment is a feature. As long as he shares their views they want that authoritarian leadership. 

10 minutes ago, Notone said:

I saw some analysis the other day, maybe on Vox, that suggests that a Trump loss by eight points would seriously threaten the GOP House lock. I won't get my hopes up. Taking back the Senate would be nice.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They most certainly do. But the hardcore Trump base already threatened not to vote for anybody downticket that is not fully backing Trump. So in the swing states they are stuck between annoyed swing voters, that are outraged over their support for Trump and (part of) their base, who have their pitchforks ready. 

Rock, GOP Senators, Hardplace. 

2 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Does anyone know if McCain's endorsement take-back will move the polls even a bit in Arizona?

Anyway, I'm still waiting on the Apprentice tape bombshell. It may never come to be, or may not even exist.....but its fun to speculate.

Well, if we're turning the election into a reality TV show we might as well go Full Monty. Let's see what else is out there. 

The only thing worse would be out and out rape or murder.

9 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Anyway, I'm still waiting on the Apprentice tape bombshell. It may never come to be, or may not even exist.....but its fun to speculate.

I don't think we're getting anything. Burnett is one of the most powerful producers in TV and he's made it clear that he will professionally bury anyone who leaks the tapes.

10 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Well, if we're turning the election into a reality TV show we might as well go Full Monty. Let's see what else is out there. 

The only thing worse would be out and out rape or murder.

Don't think that rape would move the needle, tbh.  The Ivana deposition transcript is largely ignored.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I don't think we're getting anything. Burnett is one of the most powerful producers in TV and he's made it clear that he will professionally bury anyone who leaks the tapes.

It would have to be someone with precisely zero f*cks to give who had access.  And I assume none of it would be available through a hack?

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He actually came out and said otherwise. 

Archived