Gendry as third dragon rider?

NorthernChild

I was looking at the lineage of the Targaryens and I noticed how the Baratheon lineage has been long connected with Targaryens. Robert's Grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen, the sister of Daenerys's Grandfather, Jaehaerys II Targaryen. Robert and Daenerys share the same great grandparents, Aegon V Targaryen and Betha Blackwood. Gendry being Robert's Bastards also has the dragons blood. So could he be a dragon rider along with Daenerys and Jon? I have not read past A Storm of Swords and where I am there is still many of Robert's bastards still alive, but Gendry seems one of the more central of the bastards so in my opinion I think is the most likely, but one of the other bastards may be as well. What do you think?

I think it's extremely unlikely. The dragons won't get to Westeros without already having riders, if they ever make it at all. So someone who's already a rider would have to die, and somehow Gendry would have to meet up with whichever army that dragon was with (no guarantee that it will be Dany's) and then somehow without any training be accepted by that dragon as its rider.

More likely he'd wind up as Drag-'n-Snax (TM)

If the purity of the Targaryen blood comes into question, it seems unlikely. Daenaerys is 100% Targaryen (4 Targ grandparents). If R+L=J, then Jon would be 50% Targaryen (2 Targ grandparents).

None of Gendry's grandparents is a Targ.Only one out of his sixteen grand-grand-granparents is a Targaryen. There should be many candidates in Westeros with more dragon blood than him.

Archived