Illyrio Sarella hands and glamors

Venus414

Why did he keep her hands especially if she had greyscale? Isn't that contagious? Spooky.

Mellisandre had listed "fingerbones" as things that can be used to aide in Glamouring. (Which made me think of both Davos and Ilyrio) 

Also, this whole grayscale thing- 

seems that kids could develop immunity, and it comes from breathing the mist from the drowned gods.  

Thats where I'm at.

19 hours ago, Venus414 said:

Why did he keep her hands especially if she had greyscale? Isn't that contagious? Spooky.

Spooky? Maybe. Hilarious? Only if they get up and do a song and dance.

I am not sure if it is contagious after the affected parts have been cut off. Possibly not because the flesh dies, blood is drained and bones eventually dry. But on this I just don't know, not can I find any evidence that says one way or another. If there is another smarty pants out there that can answer this for sure, chime in.

Mellisandre had listed "fingerbones" as things that can be used to aide in Glamouring. (Which made me think of both Davos and Ilyrio) 

• "The bones help," said Melisandre. "The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man's boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones. With whispered words and prayer, a man's shadow can be drawn forth from such and draped about another like a cloak. The wearer's essence does not change, only his seeming."

That quote by Mel is pretty creepy and one that can explain a lot in the series. For instance, in Dance when Bran is nearing Bloodraven's cave (maybe at it?) and Bran is warging Summer, it is then that summer hunts and eats a wight and Bran (as Summer) thinks, "There was still enough meat on it to fill his empty belly, and after that was done he cracked the arm bones for the marrow. Only then did the arm remember it was dead."

Also, Starks tend to die when they go south of the Neck. Daddy Rickard, Uncle Brandon, Lyanna, Ned, Lady. When they die, they are not at rest until their bones are brought home to Winterfell... even Lady's bones were buried in the yard and her two brothers stayed near them. We know what happened to Cat, the Red Rahloo interruption didn't help. Robb was the only Stark to die and not be returned home and this may have been forshadowed by the fact that he was the only one int he series so far that did not have a northern name... preferably from a Stark family member or king.

Jon mentions several times feeling cold to the bone. Kinda like this, "there are dark days and cold nights ahead, I feel it in my bones." And remember, when Jon is mutiny stabbed, the last thing he feels is the cold. Again, creepy when you look back on it.

Bones being of importance is all over ASOIAF, So, yea, I do think the bones help make a stronger glamour rather than a spell with something non-personal. Think of how when Arya first puts a face on, she is immediately flooded with the memory and pains of the person it used to be. Apparently the advanced version of the Faceless Men training and technique is actually to use a glamour to change your face, which is why Arya saw Jaqen's face change in front of her right before he separated from her and gave her the iron coin.

Davos missing his finger bones could mean there was a shift in his identity, or maybe he is going to forget some things? I know it has been talked about around here, but until we get more info it is all speculation on that part. He does hold them and make his prayers to them, and if bones remember, yet he lost his... what does that mean? On the other hand (get it) a weirwood tree is often described as "bone", whether in color or boney hands, etc. Davos could be praying to the old gods (even though he claims he is not religious) and we see Davos being set up for a big mission that includes "saving" the blood of the north- RICKON!!!

Also, this whole grayscale thing- 

seems that kids could develop immunity, and it comes from breathing the mist from the drowned gods.  

Thats where I'm at.

I think kids get the immunity if they have it and it is cured in them, like Shireen. And I think it makes them immune to the nastier cousin to grey scale, the grey plague. However, I think they can still be a carrier and it can "bloom" if the conditions are right. Stannis is loving to Shireen, but even he is careful not to touch it.

In Dance, Val gets upset that Shireen is there and hanging out around baby Monster and the milkwives and tells Jon she should be given the gift of mercy because it would be cleaner that way. Val, who has a detailed backstory of her own, including healer (but that is another topic), she and the wildlings have experience with greyscale and Jon does not. Val knows what she is talking about when she says Shireen is unclean. She tells Jon , "it sleeps only to wake again." Jon doesn't get this yet... which means, with the wall potentially falling and maybe dragons or something melting shit up north, the wall could melt enough to create the perfect conditions for greyscale to "bloom" up north... in the cold damp. This last part is just speculation, though.

• [Jon] "The maesters say greyscale is not—"
[Val] "The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey death sleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean!"

Right now in the story we have Jon Con who just landed in Westeros with greyscale, we have a grey plague outbreak in the east at Yi Ti, we have Tyrion scared he might have it (most likely not), and we have a "cured" girl with greyscale up at the Watch in close, cramped, cold conditions with hundreds thousands of other people. Most of this takes place in ADWD, so the way I figure it, this seems like something to keep an eye on on the next book. But that's just me :dunno:

Most likely this is something caused by the drowned god. I do agree with that. It is all over Planetos. But what is important is what it set up now and for TWOW.

12 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Spooky? Maybe. Hilarious? Only if they get up and do a song and dance.

I am not sure if it is contagious after the affected parts have been cut off. Possibly not because the flesh dies, blood is drained and bones eventually dry. But on this I just don't know, not can I find any evidence that says one way or another. If there is another smarty pants out there that can answer this for sure, chime in.

• "The bones help," said Melisandre. "The bones remember. The strongest glamors are built of such things. A dead man's boots, a hank of hair, a bag of fingerbones. With whispered words and prayer, a man's shadow can be drawn forth from such and draped about another like a cloak. The wearer's essence does not change, only his seeming."

That quote by Mel is pretty creepy and one that can explain a lot in the series. For instance, in Dance when Bran is nearing Bloodraven's cave (maybe at it?) and Bran is warging Summer, it is then that summer hunts and eats a wight and Bran (as Summer) thinks, "There was still enough meat on it to fill his empty belly, and after that was done he cracked the arm bones for the marrow. Only then did the arm remember it was dead."

Also, Starks tend to die when they go south of the Neck. Lyanna, Ned, Lady. When they die, they are not at rest until their bones are brought home to Winterfell... even Lady's bones were buried in the yard and her two brothers stayed near them. Robb was the only Stark to die and not be returned home and this may have been forshadowed by the fact that he was the only one int he series so far that did not have a northern name... preferably from a Stark family member or king.

Jon mentions several times feeling cold to the bone. Kinda like this, "there are dark days and cold nights ahead, I feel it in my bones." And remember, when Jon is mutiny stabbed, the last thing he feels is the cold. Again, creepy when you look back on it.

Bones being of importance is all over ASOIAF, So, yea, I do think the bones help make a stronger glamour rather than a spell with something non-personal. Think of how when Arya first puts a face on, she is immediately flooded with the memory and pains of the person it used to be. Apparently the advanced version of the Faceless Men training and technique is actually to use a glamour to change your face, which is why Arya saw Jaqen's face change in front of her right before he separated from her and gave her the iron coin.

Davos missing his finger bones could mean there was a shift in his identity, or maybe he is going to forget some things? I know it has been talked about around here, but until we get more info it is all speculation on that part. He does hold them and make his prayers to them, and if bones remember, yet he lost his... what does that mean? On the other hand (get it) a weirwood tree is often described as "bone", whether in color or boney hands, etc. Davos could be praying to the old gods (even though he claims he is not religious) and we see Davos being set up for a big mission that includes "saving" the blood of the north- RICKON!!!

I think kids get the immunity if they have it and it is cured in them, like Shireen. And I think it makes them immune to the nastier cousin to grey scale, the grey plague. However, I think they can still be a carrier and it can "bloom" if the conditions are right. Stannis is loving to Shireen, but even he is careful not to touch it.

In Dance, Val gets upset that Shireen is there and hanging out around baby Monster and the milkwives and tells Jon she should be given the gift of mercy because it would be cleaner that way. Val, who has a detailed backstory of her own, including healer (but that is another topic), she and the wildlings have experience with greyscale and Jon does not. Val knows what she is talking about when she says Shireen is unclean. She tells Jon , "it sleeps only to wake again." Jon doesn't get this yet... which means, with the wall potentially falling and maybe dragons or something melting shit up north, the wall could melt enough to create the perfect conditions for greyscale to "bloom" up north... in the cold damp. This last part is just speculation, though.

• [Jon] "The maesters say greyscale is not—"
[Val] "The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey death sleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean!"

Right now in the story we have Jon Con who just landed in Westeros with greyscale, we have a grey plague outbreak in the east at Yi Ti, we have Tyrion scared he might have it (most likely not), and we have a "cured" girl with greyscale up at the Watch in close, cramped, cold conditions with hundreds thousands of other people. Most of this takes place in ADWD, so the way I figure it, this seems like something to keep an eye on on the next book. But that's just me :dunno:

Most likely this is something caused by the drowned god. I do agree with that. It is all over Planetos. But what is important is what it set up now and for TWOW.

So much yes!! I love the connections with blood and bones and less about names, I think it's alluding to bastards having the same gifts and often a bone to pick with those that won't share their Piece of the pie! 

I wonder if Lady Dustin does know where Neds bones are, I'm not sure.

the plague is spreading but I wonder if Shireens blood and bones remember like immunity.  Chicken pox can become shingles in the elderly, but in kids it's not a big deal and they get over it, even if it leaves a tiny scar. ( I know it's more severe than chicken pox I'm just using it for the example that exposure to it builds immunity and actually has a protective effect!) What if a plague swept over Westeros and took out all the crazy warring adults and left only the immune children? Just a random thought.

Love! 

• 2 weeks later...

If Mel found the finger bones washed up on Dragonstone when Davos lost it than she should be able to put a strong Glamour on his son if she wanted to.

The hands however are a different story.  I do not see how those could be attached to a person to create a glamour without the dead nature of the flesh still being apparent.  That person would also need to have no hands.

Archived