US Healthcare insurance

Iskaral Pust

On the subject of Obamacare reforms not working out quite as planned, I found this report to be both horrifying and of interest. 

Obamacare has made it illegal for insurers to discriminate over preexisting conditions.  A group from Harvard bring forth the claim that insurers went around this by making their plans particularly shitty for patients with specific diagnoses to discourage them from signing up.  

They focused their report on access to HIV medications, and claim that insurers specifically excluded core drugs from all but their most expensive plans.  The discriminatory complaint was filed against 6 insurers in 6 states.  

http://khn.org/NjY3NTg2

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm sure your system will be simple and without pain or difficulty.  

;)

No, just a lot less pain and difficulty.

Exactly.  Being a physican isn't just punching a clock.  You shouldn't just walk out on a patient because a shift is over.  The idea that it could be that is scary unto itself.

Nobody is suggesting that. But if a doctor does have to work long hours to look after particular patients, surely it would be reasonable for them to subsequently be assigned fewer new patients to allow them to take some time in lieu later? Assuming there are enough other doctors to do the needed work.

6 minutes ago, felice said:

No, just a lot less pain and difficulty.

Nobody is suggesting that. But if a doctor does have to work long hours to look after particular patients, surely it would be reasonable for them to subsequently be assigned fewer new patients to allow them to take some time in lieu later? Assuming there are enough other doctors to do the needed work.

And how many is that?  Should some med school grads only be allowed to work part time for situations such as that?  My problem with "planned economics" is that no plan, however well wrought, long survives contact with reality.  

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And how many is that?  Should some med school grads only be allowed to work part time for situations such as that?  My problem with "planned economics" is that no plan, however well wrought, long survives contact with reality.  

alternate spelling of planned economy: 'union'

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kalbear,

If we go to single payer doctors and other Medicial professionals become government employees, don't they?

Not necessarily at all. They simply have one of two options:

-either they take what the government states they can take for services provided

-or they make a deal and take extra, but have to announce it.

In neither case are they government-run systems at all. This is how it works in a lot of places, like IIRC Switzerland and Taiwan. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Not necessarily at all. They simply have one of two options:

-either they take what the government states they can take for services provided

-or they make a deal and take extra, but have to announce it.

In neither case are they government-run systems at all. This is how it works in a lot of places, like IIRC Switzerland and Taiwan. 

I thought the Swiss had a mandate for buying private insurance?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I thought the Swiss had a mandate for buying private insurance?

Yes, they do. That's correct. That has nothing to do with whether or not the doctors or hospitals are state-run, however. Just like the US they have fully public hospitals, semi-public and entirely private clinics. 

Note also that the required insurance is heavily mandated for specific fee structures and the like, and each insurance company has to be approved. They also all have to sell to everyone. 

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Kalbear,

If we go to single payer doctors and other Medicial professionals become government employees, don't they?

Very few Canadian physicians are employed by government. Apart from public health and pathologists employed directly by hospitals or health authorities, most bill fee-for-service or are compensated via a salary-esque alternate financing plan. But physicians are by and large "independent contractors" regardless of how their compensation is structured. 

And how many is that?  Should some med school grads only be allowed to work part time for situations such as that?

No. Divide the total number of hours of doctoring required by the average number of hours doctors would prefer to work, and set the number of places at med school to aim for that target (taking into account graduation rates, retirement rates, etc). That way, all doctors will be able to work approximately as much as they want to, on average.

37 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

This thread reminded me that my annual enrollment deadline was tomorrow, so I just completed that.  Surprisingly it only went up a measly 2.7% with the same deductibles and coverages.  

Good outcome for you.  Is that because your employer picked up the increase or was the total cost basically stable?

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Good outcome for you.  Is that because your employer picked up the increase or was the total cost basically stable?

I can't find the info on how much my employer is paying for next year (I think they might mail that out to me, but not sure).  I'm going to guess they're not paying a larger percentage than last year and that the cost was probably stable.  It's a very large company (100k+ employees).

But anyway, reading through this thread I feel quite fortunate, even though I'm not entirely happy with the coverage it's better than what many have.

On 10/18/2016 at 0:41 PM, Ariadne23 said:

As one professor told our incoming class on the first day of law school "You all must really want to do this for the love of it, because it doesn't make any financial sense for most of you."

Is this a widespread come-to-jesus talk?  I remember Raidne posted the same thing once.  (or is it a new user account and I didn't realize it?)

4 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Is this a widespread come-to-jesus talk?  I remember Raidne posted the same thing once.  (or is it a new user account and I didn't realize it?)

oooh drama

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Seems like. All my lawyer friends who were in law school around that time heard some version or another. They don't give doctors the same speech?

Archived