MLB Postseason: All Arms on Deck

Myshkin

No words. That the team I love won the World Series is just icing on the cake for one of the greatest baseball series I've ever seen.  Cleveland can play. Props to them and all due respect.  But in the end I cannot believe what I've witnessed.  #FlyTheW!

That game, and that series, was just fucking awesome. Holy shit. So many series before it were terrific as well. 

I put up a facebook post congratulating my true Cubs fan friends when it was 6-3 with Chapman coming in. He blew it, the next hour and a half was nuts, you guys still pulled through. Jaxom and many of my friends and family are delirious. Hell yes. If I can get one self-righteous dig in, boy do I also have a few dozen other friends posting GO CUBS! messages, who haven't said a goddamn thing in my life regarding baseball. Screw you guys, it's the Ernie Banks jersey dudes who deserve to be delirious right now. Wrigleyville is a shitshow of idiot 25 year olds, but there are a million devout Cubs fans crying tears of joy into each other's shoulders, and I respect the shit out of them. You guys deserve every minute of this celebration.

You'll beat us again next season, Cubs. Just too good. I'm all for it, let's have a fucking crazy NL Central for the next 5 years. Congratulations, Cubs. You dirty, dirty shitheads.

Honestly, last year with the terrible calls I felt the Jays were robbed and barely paid attention afterwards, probably wanted KC to lose because...justice? But mostly I was pissed ofF.

This year we were just plain beaten, and I had no angst other than the pain of knowing our last shot...we're about to be torn apart by free agency and the Yankees and Red Sox are just stacked in young talent...wasn't good enough on the day, and in awe of Miller's rubber lightning arm. So, I could just enjoy baseball, and neither team is hate able so I was pretty neutral, maybe pulling for the Cubs a bit more because of the longer drought. And it was a joy to watch, and I'm genuinely happy for Cubs fans. 

I am not a baseball fan. I do however, go to one or two games a year because it is fun, and as an overall sports fan, I will check the papers every day during the summer to see what is happening in the sport. As a six year old, while playing the sport, I told people I was a Texas Rangers fan because I lived here in Dallas. When someone asked me what my favorite team in the National league was, I decided it would be the Cubs because even at the age of six, I could relate to the "lovable loser." When I check the paper on a daily basis, the first thing I always do is to see how the Rangers and Cubs are doing.

I lived in Chicago for a few years of my life as well, and I made it more of a habit to go to Wrigley than I ever have gone to the Ballpark in Arlington.There was a couple of reasons for this. First being that it is the best place I have ever been to watch a sporting event. The neighborhood is amazing, and they have the very best hotdogs on the planet. The second reason was that it was just two train stops from my house.

I was actually at the Bartman game. I could spend hours here trying to describe the feelings from that, but it will still be insufficient in describing what it felt like to be absolutely certain a team was going to win, to not having a question that the team had already lost in the matter of an instant. It was the most unique collective experience of my lifetime. I also saw the other team I root for, the Texas Rangers, come within one strike of a World Series win twice, yet I have never seen a baseball team I root for win a championship.

I say this as a backdrop to the statement that tonight's game is among the greatest sports experiences of my lifetime. I am more invested in other sports. I have more of a connection to other teams in other sports, but I have been waiting an entire lifetime to see this. to have it happen the way it did was perfect. I was screaming at the TV when Maddon pulled Hendrix today. My heart absolutely broke when Chapman gave up that homerun. I was absolutely positive it was happening again. 

It didn't. The Cubs are World series champs, and the world is full of just a little more hope for me today.

Congrats Cubs fans. This hurts, but I still have to feel happy for that fanbase. Indians kept leaning on Kluber, Miller, and Allen, and eventually that wasn't going to hold up. Still, we never gave in and kept things going into extra innings. Maybe we'll see each other again next year.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

So what's next for Theo Epstein? Taking over the LA Clippers? The Detroit Lions? St. Louis Blues?

Luckily five more years, at least, to hopefully continue the success.

I kept my eyes dry past night, but every time I way home a highlight, or listen to a call, or see a retrospective,  I've been getting misty eyed...

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So this is LeBron's fault right? Because at his Halloween party over the weekend he mocked the Warriors for their 3-1 collapse while Cleveland was up 3-1. 

No, it is just the Grand Circle of sports frustration equity.

The Golden State Warriors blew a 3-1 NBA finals lead to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The Cleveland Indians blew a 3-1 World Series lead to the Chicago Cubs

The Chicago Blackhawks will blow a 3-1 Stanley Cup Finals lead to, oh, I dunno, The Rangers or something.

Then the Yankees will blow a 3-1 World Series lead to The Giants [or the Mets to the A's, somehow] and the cycle will be complete.  #PlayItForward.

Growing up the tribulations of the Red Sox and the Cubs were a strangely celebrated part of Baseball Lore. It was a huge part of Ken Burn's Baseball documentary.

Now that is all over.  I am wondering what will be the new lore of Baseball.  Cleveland will now take the mantle with a drought now 68 years which is approaching the Red Sox at the least.  You have the Texans and Astros from Texas without W.S titles. Also the Milwaukee Brewers have not won a W.S in almost 50 years of existence.  

The Cleveland Indians are the closest to the Red Sox.  They unfortunately do not have a demarcation point the Red Sox's had with Babe Ruth.

15 minutes ago, Salad Days Saan said:

The Chicago Blackhawks will blow a 3-1 Stanley Cup Finals lead to, oh, I dunno, The Rangers or something

Nah, the Rangers have won in the last 25 years.  It would need to be a really long suffering team that has never won the Cup, like Buffalo, or a team that hasn't won the Cup in 50 years, like the Maple Leafs.

And if you want to flip the script, I'd take the Pens or Wings blowing a 3-1 lead to St Louis, please.

/hockey fever dream

Archived