MLB Postseason: All Arms on Deck

Myshkin

Looks like the Buccos are close to trading Cutch to the Nats. I'm actually OK with this as long as the return is good enough, but I'll be honest I expect to end up underwhelmed and pissed off. Also, there's rumblings they are looking to trade some other players with higher salaries (for the Pirates this is 5-7 million) like Josh Harrison and Tony Watson. Shit like this is being taken really negatively here after the Liriano trade with Toronto which was essentially a salary dump and giving up two of their top 10 prospects in return for the Jays taking on Liriano's enormous ($13 million) contract for this season. I've stuck with this team through 20 straight losing seasons, but the penny pinching is getting fucking ridiculous.

Draft pick compensation is still around, but teams won't have to give up first round picks anymore. Strangely though, the picks they will have to give up are now tied to whether or not they're over the luxury tax limit. 

Also, no international draft, but I think they're reconfiguring the signing pool money. 

And they're reconfiguring how profit sharing works. Not sure exactly what they're doing with it, but it definitely needs to be reworked. Big market teams shouldn't be forced to dump money every year into Jeffrey Loria's personal bank account. 

Seeing now the international signing age cap has been raised. Before new CBA players over 23 years old weren't subject to international pool spending limits; they were considered true free agents. Now that age has been raised to 25. This will have an immediate and fairly profound impact. Japanese phenom Shohei Otani was waiting until next year, when he'd be 23, to make the transition to the MLB. Now he'll have to wait two additional years. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What happens if they aren't healthy after ten days? I'd hate for a player to get shifted to the 60 day D.L. for something minor. 

Yeah. Odd they didn't add another layer as an alternative...

And good on the All Star Game news.  It will be nice to see home field in Wrigley proper next season. :P

23 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Seeing now the international signing age cap has been raised. Before new CBA players over 23 years old weren't subject to international pool spending limits; they were considered true free agents. Now that age has been raised to 25. This will have an immediate and fairly profound impact. Japanese phenom Shohei Otani was waiting until next year, when he'd be 23, to make the transition to the MLB. Now he'll have to wait two additional years. 

Does that apply to him or just amateur players?

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Does that apply to him or just amateur players?

Not clear yet. Apparently Cuban players need to be at least 25 years old and have at least 6 years service time in the Serie Nacional to be exempt from the international pool spending limits, but it's unclear right now if the same rules apply to Asian players. Some reporters seem to think these rules will apply to all international players, while others think the MLB's existing agreement with the NPB would override these rules. 

18 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Not clear yet. Apparently Cuban players need to be at least 25 years old and have at least 6 years service time in the Serie Nacional to be exempt from the international pool spending limits, but it's unclear right now if the same rules apply to Asian players. Some reporters seem to think these rules will apply to all international players, while others think the MLB's existing agreement with the NPB would override these rules. 

Every article read mentions aamateur players only so hopefully the MLB agreements with NPB and the KBO don't change as a result. There is just too much MLB ready talent in Asia. 

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Every article read mentions aamateur players only so hopefully the MLB agreements with NPB and the KBO don't change as a result. There is just too much MLB ready talent in Asia. 

I'm seeing it reported that the age cap is for professional as well as amateur players. I think that's really lame. 

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I'm seeing it reported that the age cap is for professional as well as amateur players. I think that's really lame. 

That's terrible, some of these things are absolutely stupid. I suppose if Otani wanted to come now they could really backload the contract but the fact that they have to is absurd.

Edit:

Sports Illustrated is reporting that it pertains to amateur players. Although others say it applies to international players over 25 who have been professional less than three years. Others say all international players regardless of whether they are amateur or professional and others say it isn't clear. 

https://www.google.com/amp/www.si.com/mlb/2016/12/01/mlb-avoids-lockout-new-cba-deal%3Famp%3D1?client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us

7 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The Nats, I feel like the Giants are going to be players for Chapman .  

You don't think the Yanks are at the front of the line for Chapman? From the little I've read on him, seems like it is his favored destination.

7 hours ago, Bonesy said:

Just getting back into the mix so posting what could be insipid.

Who gets Melancon? Nationals or Giants?

Rumors say that the Giants have made him the best offer. I guess it boils down to where he prefers to play. I'm hoping they make a serious run at Fowler as well, but it looks like his asking price is kind of ridiculous. 18 mill per? Not sure he's worth it.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Rumors say that the Giants have made him the best offer. I guess it boils down to where he prefers to play. I'm hoping they make a serious run at Fowler as well, but it looks like his asking price is kind of ridiculous. 18 mill per? Not sure he's worth it.

Melancon isn't as flashy as Chapman or Jensen, but that dude performs at an elite level and is one of the best team guys there is. I was bummed when the Pirates got rid of him. He's 32, but has never been on the DL I believe. Well worth the investment.

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Melancon isn't as flashy as Chapman or Jensen, but that dude performs at an elite level and is one of the best team guys there is. I was bummed when the Pirates got rid of him. He's 32, but has never been on the DL I believe. Well worth the investment.

Yeah, I'd be way happy to get Melancon. It would be nice to stick a finger in the Dodger's eye by snaking Jensen, but I think Melancon is every bit as good and he doesn't come at as high a price. 

On 12/2/2016 at 2:30 AM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

That's terrible, some of these things are absolutely stupid. I suppose if Otani wanted to come now they could really backload the contract but the fact that they have to is absurd.

Well, the players union's primary job is to protect existing players and that includes not making it too easy for existing players to lose roster spots to new guys. And the owners will always want as much structure and control as possible over players. So it makes sense that both sides would be okay with something like thais.

2 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

You don't think the Yanks are at the front of the line for Chapman? From the little I've read on him, seems like it is his favored destination.

Well I think it's going to come done to the Yankees and the Giants .  

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Well, the players union's primary job is to protect existing players and that includes not making it too easy for existing players to lose roster spots to new guys. And the owners will always want as much structure and control as possible over players. So it makes sense that both sides would be okay with something like thais.

I kind of get it but just think it's silly, in any event I think it applies to amateur players and not professionals. 

Archived