Courtesy

The Lord Bastard

During my ASOIAF re-read something occurred to me. I wonder what the protocol is when you're in the presence of the Queen of England. What do you have to say to her? Do you have to do anything particular like go to one knee? 

It got me thinking about protocol and courtesy in general. Is there some sort of book where you can learn it all? The things that got me thinking were...

"You are very kind to say so." 

Bran at a Winterfell feat sending over dishes of food to certain Lords so that they could have the first portion. 

The lines Bran has memorized such as "May your summers be long and your harvest plentiful." 

1 hour ago, The Lord Bastard said:

During my ASOIAF re-read something occurred to me. I wonder what the protocol is when you're in the presence of the Queen of England. What do you have to say to her? Do you have to do anything particular like go to one knee?

If you're ever in the position where you officially meet the queen, one of her staff will speak to you beforehand to tell you what to do.

There are etiquette manuals, yes. More formal etiquette than the good manners that (I hope) you were taught growing up are likely to be out of place in situations that don't call for that level of formality.

3 hours ago, The Lord Bastard said:

I wonder what the protocol is when you're in the presence of the Queen of England. What do you have to say to her? Do you have to do anything particular like go to one knee?  

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

If you're ever in the position where you officially meet the queen, one of her staff will speak to you beforehand to tell you what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvZkkdPrT7I&list=TL2Hd3tyqt2kNaLcEpmsk2xUMipbOheT6T

21 hours ago, Raja said:

Don't you go "You're majesty" the first time and then "Ma'am"? ( 200 years of British colonisation has taught us well) 

Well, if you were really taught to start addressing her with 'You are...', shouldn't it be "You are a majesty" or "You are majestic" ...? ;)

For US citizens, the protocol in a receiving line to meet a personage such as the Queen of England is to wait for her to extend her hand, and then you may extend yours. (You'll most likely be given instructions by her staff on matters such as the "don't touch" rule).  US citizens should not bow or curtsy to this or any monarch. A good etiquette source book (that is US specific) is Emily Post's Etiquette.  It is now in its 18th edition.  Since I'm relying on an old 15th edition, I should update. 

On 10/16/2016 at 10:26 PM, Ravenhair said:

For US citizens, the protocol in a receiving line to meet a personage such as the Queen of England is to wait for her to extend her hand, and then you may extend yours. (You'll most likely be given instructions by her staff on matters such as the "don't touch" rule).  US citizens should not bow or curtsy to this or any monarch. A good etiquette source book (that is US specific) is Emily Post's Etiquette.  It is now in its 18th edition.  Since I'm relying on an old 15th edition, I should update. 

^^^^This.  I have a copy at home (seriously, Ravenhair, I DO!  I just don't read it!).   I do pull it out and dust it off when faced with a situation where I think I'll be out of my depth.  It's a fascinating read.

On 10/15/2016 at 3:54 PM, Maltaran said:

One of her staff will offer advice on what people normally do if asked, but no-one is under any obligation to bow, curtsey, not speak first or not offer your hand first. The Queen, unlike her mother, will speak to you anyway. 

Archived