Will Daenerys become greatest ruler of all time?

blckp

30 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

And I could think of only few people who has the potential and she definitely has it.

You are right. I don't believe in flawless people who has all the best qualities and I think the circumstances do matter. No one would have believed if it is said that prime time Robert or Aerys would become bad rulers. So for any person the journey do matter. 

I don't know if you see that or not but I definitely see qualities that would make her a good ruler. It is care and compassion for her people. She genuinely wish for the good of the people. She wants them to be well fed and happy. She dislikes inequality. All she wants is Westeros as her home and its people her family, her children. She would be ruthless against her enemies but it comes for her people she would sacrifice for them.

Her worldview at present may not be very refined and her thinking may be black and white. But once she matures and begins to see things the right way her qualities would suit a good ruler. A good ruler must be tough towards the enemy and compassionate towards people. I see her being closer to these qualities.

And it may hard to take age into account but Dany's problems could be easily attributed to her age and lack of experience. If you compare me with my 16 year old self there is a lot of difference and I hardly think like that guy anymore. I hate it when people talk like the characters are almost will be locked on their development and they will continue to be so. An older wiser Dany would see the world different than the Dany we see in the books.

For the last bolded if I am a teenager and I have to give my first ruling I would decide based on emotion too. But it would be really unfair if you judged that I would always be the same when I am only a teenager. 

Well, lots of the rulers have potential. I personally think any of the remaining candidates could become decent rulers; doesn't mean they will, of course. Frankly, I want to see her in a situation where she doesn't have a clear moral high ground and isn't opposing someone as despicable as slavers. Ditto with Aegon and, to some extent, Jon. I give Dany some leeway due to her youth and inexperience, and slavery is so terrible it's easy to forgive some of her mistakes. Before she goes to Westeros, however, I think she needs to think long and hard about what she actually wants to achieve, and just as important, why she is doing what she is.

29 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Well, lots of the rulers have potential. I personally think any of the remaining candidates could become decent rulers; doesn't mean they will, of course. Frankly, I want to see her in a situation where she doesn't have a clear moral high ground and isn't opposing someone as despicable as slavers. Ditto with Aegon and, to some extent, Jon. I give Dany some leeway due to her youth and inexperience, and slavery is so terrible it's easy to forgive some of her mistakes. Before she goes to Westeros, however, I think she needs to think long and hard about what she actually wants to achieve, and just as important, why she is doing what she is.

Aren't we debating only the potentials or we are making up our own story of how they will become? I would rather leave the latter to Martin.

No this clear moral high ground she has is debatable. Her Slaver's Bay arc is not good vs evil. Her situation in Slaver's Bay has already made her to struggle with morality and full of self-doubts and consequences that came to bite her back. Her moral high ground only caused her more problems while keeping her stand is the right thing to do to bring change. In fact Martin could not have given any more challenge to her than making her to learn ruling in Slaver's Bay. In fact slaver's despicable things stopped being problems in ASOS. In Dance, she experience real problems like running a starving city where people are at odds where she has problems that could not always be solved by what she wished. Her moral high ground is repeatedly questioned as Martin brings different perspectives into the story.

She already has an idea about what she wants to achieve in Westeros. To be a good Queen. But why she is doing that it's a different question and I hope she gets an answer.  

Archived