Sopranos- so awesome

Calibandar

One of my favourite exchanges was in the season 3 episode "Pine Barrens" where Tony calls Paulie but the cell reception is bad:

[Tony] "It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast. The guy you're looking for is some kinda ex-commando or some shit. He killed 16 Chechen rebels single-handed.

[Paulie] "Get the fuck outta here."

[Tony] He was with the Interior Ministry. Guys some kinda Russian Green Beret."

[Paulie to Chris] "You're not gonna believe this. He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator."

[Chris] "His house looked like shit!"

:lol:

Did you say favorite episode list? :D

1. Pine Barrens

2. College 

3. Whitecaps 

4. Funhouse

5. From Where to Eternity 

6. Long Term Parking 

7. Whoever Did This

8. The Knight in White Satin Armor

9. Boca

10.  The Blue Comet 

The order of 2-10 I could probably switch around a bit after another rewatch,  but Pine Barrens is by far my favorite episode. It's actually my favorite single hour of television ever. 

Nice list. Pretty much echoes my own, except for Long Term Parking. Dunno if I want to have that in my favourite episodes list. While it was an excellent episode, knowing what happens actually makes me dread watching it. Talk about an emotional gut punch!

29 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Did you say favorite episode list? :D

8. The Knight in White Satin Armor

Just watched this last night. At the end of the episode Tony sits down in his couch after a night of hard work cleaning up for Janice, Carmela says she's leaving for Italy or else she'll commit suicide like the Russian goomar. And then the song "Hey heyyyyyy, I save the world today, everybody's happy now " comes on, which is a lovely ironic song to come in at that moment.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Just watched this last night. At the end of the episode Tony sits down in his couch after a night of hard work cleaning up for Janice, Carmela says she's leaving for Italy or else she'll commit suicide like the Russian goomar. And then the song "Hey heyyyyyy, I save the world today, everybody's happy now " comes on, which is a lovely ironic song to come in at that moment.

The music was second to none on The Sopranos. 

One of my personal favorites was the use of Van Morrison's Glad Tidings to close out S5. Just a perfect choice. 

Yeah Pine Barrens is at the top of my list, as well. Chris and Paulie at their best.

The end of Denial, Anger, Acceptance (S1E3) always gets me.  Love the vocal solo that Meadow and her friend sing stoned out of their minds.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm on to season 5 in my rewatch and I forgot what an incredible baby Tony is when Melfi turns his advances down. It's like the first time he's ever heard no from a woman, or just no in general. Also forgot about how fucking annoying A.J. is this season. Understandable given his age and the situation going on, but still.

Tony B. is talking about going into business with his Korean boss and Paulie walks over with this gem, "Word to the wise, remember Pearl Harbor". 

The Sopranos is one of those shows --like The Wire-- that whenever the subject of "the greatest TV shows of all time" comes up... its always mentioned at or near the top... And as much as I always loved Boardwalk Empire, it never really compared to this...

We have a few things on our binge list we've yet to get to... and I'd like to re-watch the Expanse before S2... but a Sopranos binge sounds like a great idea...

• 3 months later...

I'm watching this show for the first time.  I bring episodes on my iPad when I have time to kill on flights because my wife doesn't want to watch a violent show like this at home with me. 

I've missed my window to really discuss this with anyone.  It's locked in nostalgic amber for most people now. 

My biggest impression of this is that it's fundamentally a show about family and close relationships in our lives, and the whole mob aspect is just a juiced-up setting and consequences.  His antagonists so far are his negative, manipulative mother, his elderly uncle who resists the rise of the next generation, his flaky, mooching sister, his brother-in-law who wants to usurp his status and be the alpha, and his old friend who breaks his trust.

As I watch, I keep wondering if we're supposed to root for Tony.  He may have been one of the earliest anti-heroes, but he lacks any sympathetic foundation like Walter White (who destroys and repudiates our sympathy as the story progresses).  The show becomes braver about acknowledging the negative, exploitative/parasitic and unglamorous impact on bystanders and civilians.  Like with most anti-heroes, just telling the story from their perspective makes the audience sympathize and accept, but it wears thin.  I'm glad S3 shows more of the FBI because I'm rooting for them in the long run, although I know they can't have any easy or quick victory because there's several seasons yet to go.

On October 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Ramsay B. said:

So I'm on to season 5 in my rewatch and I forgot what an incredible baby Tony is when Melfi turns his advances down. It's like the first time he's ever heard no from a woman, or just no in general. Also forgot about how fucking annoying A.J. is this season. Understandable given his age and the situation going on, but still.

Tony B. is talking about going into business with his Korean boss and Paulie walks over with this gem, "Word to the wise, remember Pearl Harbor". 

Just started a season 5 re-watch with my fiance whom has never seen the show. She loves it. Just finished s5e2. I'm happy we got to the Blundetto episodes. Forgot how funny it was when he made that joke about tony being fat in that weird ass voice.

Other things that I died at the second time around is when Ralph makes the Jenny Sac joke.... Pure gold. Chris's intervention when he turns the tables and just shits on everyone and gets his ass kicked was just as funny this time. Also, this short clip is hysterical:

Shut the dooooooooooooor

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Just started a season 5 re-watch with my fiance whom has never seen the show. She loves it. Just finished s5e2. I'm happy we got to the Blundetto episodes. Forgot how funny it was when he made that joke about tony being fat in that weird ass voice.

Other things that I died at the second time around is when Ralph makes the Jenny Sac joke.... Pure gold. Chris's intervention when he turns the tables and just shits on everyone and gets his ass kicked was just as funny this time. Also, this short clip is hysterical:

Shut the dooooooooooooor

Chis's intervention (and how it devolved into the ass kicking) was some funny shit.

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

As I watch, I keep wondering if we're supposed to root for Tony.  

I think for most of the series I did root for him because I found him cool and sympathetic.

Sometimes he is wrong, and yet oftentimes he is dealing with other people that are seriously flawed themselves or just worse than Tony, like Nictarion indicated. In the discussions with his family, for instance Meadow and Carmela, I sort of go back and forth on whose POV I find most sympathetic, it's certainly not like Tony is always in the wrong there either. But mostly it's just so enjoyable to follow what he's doing.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

As I watch, I keep wondering if we're supposed to root for Tony. 

The fatter Tony gets the less likable he becomes. This is something that was done on purpose, iirc. 

By season 4 it's pretty obvious Tony is a giant nonredeemable fucktard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunate Son and Full Leather Jacket are favorites of mine, my list is otherwise similar to Nictarions.

As for great lines - "How about Gloria Trillo...she still...hangin around?".  That always gets a laugh due to Gandolfini's delivery and face. 

Archived