Sopranos- so awesome

Calibandar

11 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Sopranos definitely went out on top imo. 6b is one of the best final seasons of any show. Chasing It the only episode that wasnt top notch. 

Agreed. Which is something I don't think it gets enough credit for tbh. The war vs Phil/NY was a great final storyline. Especially compared to some of the other all time great shows final seasons (the newspaper storyline in The Wire, the Nazis in Breaking Bad, etc)

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Agreed. Which is something I don't think it gets enough credit for tbh. The war vs Phil/NY was a great final storyline. Especially compared to some of the other all time great shows final seasons (the newspaper storyline in The Wire, the Nazis in Breaking Bad, etc)

Yeah for me only The Shield had a better final season. Justified was pretty good as well. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah for me only The Shield had a better final season. Justified was pretty good as well. 

The Shield's final season will probably never be topped for me.So fucking tense, I thought I'd get an ulcer.

Frankly,The Shield doesn't get enough credit. It had a rough patch with S3 but it legit one of the best shows ever but it's rarely in the discussions along with The Sopranos and The Wire. I honestly think it's cause of the people who made and broadcasted it.The aesthetic probably didn't help, even if it was deliberate.

As for mobsters being rich: I mean, they do pretty darn well for themselves. They're not Escobar rich or anything but the top guys are quite well off for their actual ability to contribute to society. Paulie isn't really supposed to be a "top" guy, which is why he tried to have Vito and Ralphie whacked. Tony, Ralphie, Richie...all were on their way to doing good before they ruined it with things like gambling and Janice. 

The Shield is definitely a top 10 show for me. Maybe even top 5. And only Six Feet Under comes close to touching it for best series finale. But even that is basically due to the final 5-10 minutes or so. Family Meeting is brilliant from start to finish. The letter scene is one of the best I've ever seen on television. I really need to get around to doing a rewatch one of these days...

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Everything Paulie was gold. Easily my second favorite character after Tony. He provided some of the funniest moments of the series. Probably didn't hurt that Tony Sirico had some real life organized crime experience in his younger years either. He made Paulie feel very authentic. 

I loved his beef with Feech. 

"He jumped out of the tree, and came at me with a chainsaw." :lol:

" You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. Guy was an interior decorator!"

"Interior decorator? His house looked like shit!"

re: the ending, I didn't watch the show the first time around, I binged it only a couple years ago. So I'd heard a lot about the ending already and was prepared for sudden disappointment. Maybe that helped, but I loved it. I thought it was completely unambiguous while at the same time allowed the audience the chance to get there on their own, if that makes sense. Or at least that was how it hit me.

Oh dear, The Sopranos ending. During the shows run, the ending left me in a black rage. The building up of tension before that was great and I remember yelling at the tv for Meadow to just park that fucking car! Even though I've come to appreciate the ending on subsequent rewatches, it is still not one of my favourites. The second half of season 6 was just brilliant though.

re: The Shield. Easily a top 5 show in my book. I'm putting off doing a rewatch until the 4k conversion is released. I think it is due sometime this year.

Everything Paulie was gold. Easily my second favorite character after Tony. He provided some of the funniest moments of the series. Probably didn't hurt that Tony Sirico had some real life organized crime experience in his younger years either. He made Paulie feel very authentic. 

I loved his beef with Feech. 

"He jumped out of the tree, and came at me with a chainsaw.

Hah, Paulie has some hilarious scenes.  When Chris tosses little Paulie out of the window, and Paulie flips out and takes his Cadillac to Chris' front yard - yet the best has to be when Tony stops by and sees his painting of PieohMy retouched with the General's uniform up on Paulie's mantel.  Still gets laughs, every time.

I've made peace with the ending, but I still don't love it, it was a cop out to some degree.  Re: the mobsters not being that rich, it makes sense, they're dealing in cash and illegal money, so they spend it on fancy stuff, expensive cars, fur coats, gambling trips, hookers and booze, LOL,  but they never invest it, and only the bosses have enough cover to live in truly nice houses....it was really the same with Breaking Bad, the only person who seemed to be living the life of a 1%er was the head of the Mexican cartel...to some degree you have to wonder for Gus, what was the point of it all, when you're living in a plain upper middle class house driving a Volvo? I do think The Sopranos has and will continue to weather the test of time as one of the greatest shows ever.

7 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Just heard him meow 3-4 times so he's here somewhere. Certainly feels good to know he's here...somewhere. Hopefully he's coming around.

?wrong thread but totally yay .

On 2/23/2017 at 8:35 PM, Isis said:

. I love Chris's intervention especially. But then I also love the relationship between Tony and Janice. It's fucking poisonous and it's clearly been festering since childhood but it's kind of electrifyingly horrible to watch. 

I find the show fascinating and entertaining in equal measures. 

Chris intervention is one of my favorite scenes. An all time classic.

Janice was so despicable. I just could not find any redeeming qualities about her.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:59 AM, Nictarion said:

Everything Paulie was gold. Easily my second favorite character after Tony.

I have to say Tony and Chris share the no.1 spot in terms of favorite characters for me.

I think Adriana might actually edge into that 3rd spot.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

?wrong thread but totally yay .

Wow lol totally wrong thread. My god.....

Having said that, I watched S5E12 last night, Long Term Parking. Chris talking about Ad losing her colon in place of a semi-colon.... lol

Sad ending to that episode.

• 2 months later...

Just finished S6.  I've been watching episodes during flights for business travel.  My too-late-to-matter summation is:

- no problem with the ending.  Nothing ambiguous at all.  I can see why the audience wanted to see the event rather than "experience" it, but that approach was heavily foreshadowed.  In the final scene, the audience feels huge tension while Tony relaxes and lowers his guard. 

- the whole show leaned heavily on mental health, almost too preachy.  Tony, Christopher, AJ, even Junior and Vito's repression.  When Carmela basically accuses Tony of self-indulgence, it's her fatigue rather than any suggestion that it's really just malingering (as Tony suggests himself early on but then becomes woke so the viewer knows how they should think).

- pretty much all of the characters were scum.  Even the relatively innocent ones like Adrianna and Meadow were still complicit enablers.  I thought the show made it clear that Carmela was even worse than that -- her money-grabbing becomes central to her character.  It's also clear just how much law-abiding, working stiffs suffer from these asshole parasites; not at all glorifying the lifestyle. 

- the show also works as a screed against toxic masculinity and conservative patriarchy.

It does a very good job of humanising awful people. Carmela is such a raging hypocrite but at the same time you feel bad for her being married to Tony. The kids are going to grow up to be horrible, entitled adults. Meadow, especially, is unremittingly shallow and ignorant - despite all of her book learning. She'll never have to live without a safety net. But getting the viewer to care what happens to Tony, just because he has anxiety attacks and likes animals, is the greatest trick of all. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

It does a very good job of humanising awful people. Carmela is such a raging hypocrite but at the same time you feel bad for her being married to Tony. The kids are going to grow up to be horrible, entitled adults. Meadow, especially, is unremittingly shallow and ignorant - despite all of her book learning. She'll never have to live without a safety net. But getting the viewer to care what happens to Tony, just because he has anxiety attacks and likes animals, is the greatest trick of all. 

Don't forget his relationship with his mother. Which was a big part of the foundation for the show. Livia was quite a piece of work  (Chase had a similar mother). He stayed and dealt with her when his sisters took off. He never really had a chance. 

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Don't forget his relationship with his mother. Which was a big part of the foundation for the show. Livia was quite a piece of work  (Chase had a similar mother). He stayed and dealt with her when his sisters took off. He never really had a chance. 

Although taking off didn't really help Janice - look how she is with Bobby's kids at the end of the show

Archived