Sopranos- so awesome

Calibandar

I started re-watching the Sopranos recently, a bit too soon really because I normally leave a few years in between but it had been quite a while since I had seen season 1 and 2.

I wanted to add to an exisiting thread but they've all been archived.

Anyway, that second season is just so good. I go back and forth between laughter at some of the ridiculously funny stuff that goes on, all set in what is an otherwise serious setting and story. All of the characters are so good. Richie Aprile is the best antagonist across all seasons IMO, what a face. I'd forgotten how good this second season was.

Chris- what a character, I just love seeing him in action in every season. Adriana- hot and interesting. Paulie and Sil, Puss being a double agent, the magnificent Furio brought in from Italy, the mess with Janice and Tony's mother still being there. Junior is somewhat sidelined this second season after the first but he still has some good scenes. Fat Fuck Bacala as Tony calls him has his introduction here as well. Then there is some interesting sessions going on with him and Melfi who's become an obsessed alcoholic in her own right. Just seems like they are firing on all cylinders here. Everybody has things to do. 

I'm just amazed someone made a tv show this good.

It just so happens that I've started a rewatch as well - recently purchased the series on Blu-Ray. It's been a little over 3 years since my last rewatch and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm still on season 1 and finished the episode "College" yesterday. Brilliant episode. Definitely consider The Sopranos along with The Wire as the two best shows I've ever watched with The Shield and Deadwood not far behind.

I've been rewatching it for the first time since it originally aired. I'm on season 4 like episode 4. Adriana just found out her new bestie was an agent, Furio and Carm started their little flirting and Johnny Sack found out about Ralphie's fat joke about his wife.  I don't know what took me so long but it's good to be back.

Just ran into this Bobbi Bacala gem: "You know, Quasimodo predicted all this." 

I left it unfinished in the last season a few years ago. This year I tried to catch up from the last episode I watched but couldn't remember quite well which was the last one. I need to finish it though.

There are a lot of amazing characters, but I remember that both my mom and I suddenly found ourselves having the hots for Tony XD the macho attitude not only worked in Dr Melfi :D

:D I was just fucking around I do rate the Sopranos higher than The Wire and Deadwood but it's all a matter of preference. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

The Shield and Deadwood not far behind.

Man The Shield is so good. They try a little too hard for shock factor with some of the case of the week stuff (Fucking Kurt Sutter) but the Strike teams story from start to finish is brilliant. 

Season 2 is still my favorite by far. Nice to hear some well deserved gushing over it. I couldn't agree more wrt Richie being the best antagonist to Tony. Considering how good some of the others were (Livia/Junior, Ralphie, Phil, etc) that says a lot. I always thought the way they wrapped his storyline up was brilliant too. 

Ice never seen the sopranos but i have obviously heard the praise it gets. I remember it was named the best written TV series by the writers guild of america. I remember when a&e used to run reruns of the sopranos but i never watched it there. Is there anyway for me to watch it on cable?

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

They have, The Wire and Deadwood.

I enjoyed The Sopranos though, just not quite as much as those two.

Nah, Mark was right the first time. 

But like he said, it's a matter of preference. The Wire is a very close second for me. And Deadwood is somewhere in my top 5. Hard to rank it above a show like The Sopranos though, which had a brilliant final season. It truly went out on top, imo.

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Even more amazing that no one has made a better show since :D 

I agree with this. It is the best show ever made. It's also got incredible re-watch value for several reasons.

The Wire is also fantastic but it has to come second to this.

27 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Season 2 is still my favorite by far. Nice to hear some well deserved gushing over it. I couldn't agree more wrt Richie being the best antagonist to Tony. Considering how good some of the others were (Livia/Junior, Ralphie, Phil, etc) that says a lot. I always thought the way they wrapped his storyline up was brilliant too. 

"Don't give me those manson lamps" as Tony puts it when Richie wants to defy him again. These two guys had some great confrontations and they were always right on the edge of bursting.

I just watched the episode 11 where he goes down in a way that no one saw coming. I agree Ralphie and Phil are superb as well, but just a notch below Richie. Two of those as Janice's boyfriends as well, old Phil might have had a shot.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Just ran into this Bobbi Bacala gem: "You know, Quasimodo predicted all this." 

LoL. Another scene I found really amusing is one where Tony, having just killed the Devalaqua kid with Puss, is told by the lawyer to spend more time in the garbage business. So they go to what Richie calls "The Garbage men's ball" but on the way there Tony hears something displeasing about Richie. So at the gathering he pulls him aside:

Tony: "Got any blow"

Richie: "........ what?"

Tony" Got any blow, you fuck?"

And then Richie realizes he's found out about him still dealing dope on the garbage routes.

Another good one is the restaurant scene in s2 where Tony, Carmela and Adriana are eating, Chris comes in, upset.

Within two sentences he is raging to the women about how they're always talking about "Prosciutto, beans and cheese" and he won't have it. He departs and leaves Adriana in tears, claiming " and yet I am always so supportive of everything he does, his art, his screenplay....."

Camera zooms in on Tony ..... " His what???" 

Uh oh. :)

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

It just so happens that I've started a rewatch as well - recently purchased the series on Blu-Ray. It's been a little over 3 years since my last rewatch and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm still on season 1 and finished the episode "College" yesterday. Brilliant episode. Definitely consider The Sopranos along with The Wire as the two best shows I've ever watched with The Shield and Deadwood not far behind.

I remember that as an excellent episode.

The Shield is the show from your list that I still need to watch. I've heard great things but always put it off, like Breaking Bad.

so?

1 minute ago, Calibandar said:

I agree with this. It is the best show ever made. It's also got incredible re-watch value for several reasons.

The Wire is also fantastic but it has to come second to this.

"Don't give me those manson lamps" as Tony puts it when Richie wants to defy him as well.

I just watched the episode 11 where he goes down in a way that no one saw coming. I agree Ralphie and Phil are superb as well, but just a notch below Richie. Two of those as Janice's boyfriends as well.

LoL. Another scene I found really amusing is one where Tony, having just killed the Devalaqua kid with Puss, is told by the lawyer to spend more time in the garbage business. So they go to what Richie calls "The Garbage men's ball" but on the way there Tony hears something displeasing about Richie. So at the gathering he pulls him aside:

Tony: "Got any blow"

Richie: "........ what?"

Tony" Got any blow, you fuck?"

And then Richie realizes he's found out about him still dealing dope on the garbage routes.

Another good one is the restaurant scene in s2 where Tony, Carmela and Adriana are eating, Chris comes in, upset.

Within two sentences he is raging to the women about how they're always talking about "Prosciutto, beans and cheese" and he won't have it. He departs and leaves Adriana in tears, claiming " and yet I am always so supportive of everything he does, his art, his screenplay....."

Camera zooms in on Tony ..... " His what???" 

Uh oh. :)

I remember that as an excellent episode.

The Shield is the show from your list that I still need to watch. I've heard great things but always put it off, like Breaking Bad.

Do you know if theres a way to watch it on cable .

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

Nah, Mark was right the first time. 

But like he said, it's a matter of preference. The Wire is a very close second for me. And Deadwood is somewhere in my top 5. Hard to rank it above a show like The Sopranos though, which had a brilliant final season. It truly went out on top, imo.

Yeah, it's subjective, I really enjoyed The Sopranos but just like those two a little bit more, I'm probably due a Sopranos rewatch though to be fair.

2 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

so?

Do you know if theres a way to watch it on cable .

A&E reruns a censored version but I don't know their schedule. You're better off watching the original version through rentals or Amazon Prime in my opinion though.

6 hours ago, WarGalley said:

A&E reruns a censored version but I don't know their schedule. You're better off watching the original version through rentals or Amazon Prime in my opinion though.

oh OK yeah i should have assumed it was censored.

I'm getting close to my first Sopranos re-watch here in about a month I'd say. Watching Boardwalk Empire with my fiance.  I have Sopranos up next to show her. God, she's such an HBO noob. She has no idea what she's in for.

Some sweet remember whens-

Drea de Matteo killing it as Adriana

Anabella Sciorria as Tony's Porsche selling gumar

Tony subtlely correcting the Y.E.C. who thought humans roamed around with dinosaurs

Paulies painting of a Napoleon/Tony

The gas pump "whack" gone wrong, where car rolls on guys head

Christopher being so belligerant at his intervention that it turns into a beatdown fest

Meadow growing into a young lady, also watching her attempts at manipulating Carm and Tony over the seasons lol.

Tony having the Sinatra loud speakered off the yacht to persuade a waterfront owners position

^^^Just a handful of so many memories

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Some sweet remember whens-

Drea de Matteo killing it as Adriana

Anabella Sciorria as Tony's Porsche selling gumar

Tony subtlely correcting the Y.E.C. who thought humans roamed around with dinosaurs

Paulies painting of a Napoleon/Tony

The gas pump "whack" gone wrong, where car rolls on guys head

Christopher being so belligerant at his intervention that it turns into a beatdown fest

Meadow growing into a young lady, also watching her attempts at manipulating Carm and Tony over the seasons lol.

Tony having the Sinatra loud speakered off the yacht to persuade a waterfront owners position

^^^Just a handful of so many memories

Gloria worked at a Mercedes-Benz dealership. 

It was Dean Martin. "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle" :lol:

Archived