U.S. Elections: Orange is the New Wack

Manhole Eunuchsbane

@DunderMifflin:

And you keep saying that it's racism because data, case closed. Like you are the world's best data decipherer that can't possibly be wrong.

Its fine if we disagree, no need to be hostile about it.

It seems like you've been skeptical of whether racism (and other -isms) are the primary drivers of Trumpism.  Data aside, doesn't it just kind of defy logic to believe they aren'tgiven the incessant messaging of the campaign (not to mention the glaring fact that the Clinton platform is the one actually proposing to address economic hardship)?  It kind of strains credulity to claim "it's something else" rather than -isms driving his fans, kind of like how it would be ludicrous if someone claims to "really love" Mein Kampf for "Hitler's delightful turns of phrase," rather than anything, you know, offensive.  

17 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Apparently the Donald was not pleased with the new SNL sketch last night...

http://fortune.com/2016/10/16/donald-trump-snl-baldwin-show/

Alec Baldwin, as Trump, blustered his way through the question, noting he’d brought four women who had accused former President Bill Clinton of abusing them. “Their voices need to be heard.” But what about the women accusing Trump of sexual misconduct? “They need to shut the hell up.”

:lol:

“I do like how generous he is. Just last Friday he handed me this election,” McKinnon’s Clinton quipped, an allusion to the fact that polls have shown Hillary Clinton’s lead growing since the 2005 Trump tape was published.

:lol:

Seems that clip was pretty good. I'll have to watch it.

Trump needs to get a sense of humor, among other things.

8 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

@DunderMifflin:

It seems like you've been skeptical of whether racism (and other -isms) are the primary drivers of Trumpism.  Data aside, doesn't it just kind of defy logic to believe they aren'tgiven the incessant messaging of the campaign (not to mention the glaring fact that the Clinton platform is the one actually proposing to address economic hardship)?  It's kind of strains credulity to claim "it's something else" rather than -isms driving his fans, kind of like how I'd find it ludicrous if someone claims to really love Mein Kampf for "Hitler's delightful turns of phrase," rather than anything, you know, offensive.  

I can't even decipher anything about what Trump's campaign is about. He seems to base policies on how bad somebody pissed him off that day. So I certainly don't see racism as any sort of undebatable central theme of his campaign.

Just now, DunderMifflin said:

I can't even decipher anything about what Trump's campaign is about. He seems to base policies on how bad somebody pissed him off that week. So I certainly don't see racism as any sort of undebatable central theme of his campaign.

is this a joke?

From the last thread, on the white working class rural men thing, what I'm seeing from briefly looking at the data is that these people are not actually worse off economically than urban men and women of all races that do not support Trump, but nevertheless perceive that they are. Is that what other people are seeing?

If that's the case, that people who used to have a double scoop are bitching about now having a single scoop like everyone else, I can see why there is a moral case for why we really should not GAF. It seems like that is the objection to carrying on about the stuff in the Cracked piece (in addition to the author's implicit condescension to those voters in stripping them of their agency and reasoning faculties)?

But, pragmatically, seeing as these people may otherwise go violent on us and could again threaten to stick us with a Trumpster-type for President, what do Democrats do to appeal to these voters, to tell a better, different story (especially now that we've welcomed so many 100 scoop fat cats into our party)? Are they really just irredeemable?

3 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

is this a joke?

Well if you ignore data about Trump voter motivations, and you ignore bitherism, and you ignore Trump's claims about the Central Park five, and you ignore Trumps claims about rising crime, and you ignore Trump's claim about a judge of Mexican heritage, and you ignore Trump's claims about mexicans and Muslims, then I guess there is a point that racism isn't a part of Trump's campaign.

10 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

is this a joke?

not in context of the general US political system including the Democratic party I don't see it as anything more outlandishly racist than typical US politics of the past 2+ centuries. 

His campaign to me looks like a temper tantrum exercise in lashing out at anything and everything that can be lashed out at.

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Trump needs to get a sense of humor, among other things.

It's the one thing money can't buy.

In other news, the Pence campaign (which continues to be distinct from but affiliated to the Trump campaign) admits that the Russians do seem to be trying to influence the election by hacking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mike-pence-russia-hack_us_5803842fe4b06e0475955319?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

It's always funny to see the guy who insults someone everytime he thinks he can get away with it and then later says ''it's a joke, man'', turns into a professional victim whenever someone in the media doesn't worship the ground he walks on.

It's also disturbing that SNL barely has to exaggerate in order to spoof Trump.

In the latest closed due reaching comment limitation discussion of these matters, Butterbumps said:

But I'm not talking about their racism!   Even in the part of my post that you quoted!   I'm talking about the underlying feeling that one is entitled to things as it's always been (even just economically), and how this is unproductive and hugely troubling.

Partly this is because that segment of the Orange Stalin's kool-aiders don't believe in evolution = change either.  Very poor to bad to no education leads to this.  And the Republicans have been starving public education ever since the Civil Rights Acts -- particularly history and science because the money's gone to the private sector such as charters that treat education like a capitalist venture and even channels our public funds to private religious institutions, home schooling, etc.

This is equally true of so-called higher institutions too, such as the for-profit so-called colleges and overtly religious ones.  I've talked with a lot of students who have come through these systems from pre-school through the so-called colleges, and the levels of their ignorance of the basics of science and history and literature -- and even the Bible itself -- are terrifying.  Even more terrifying is what they have been taught, particularly about women and the history of the world.

Archived