HBO's Westworld- Enter the maze [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

Seems like we have final confirmation that the MiB is just a guest. Although between the references to his Foundation, the business/family that Logan and William are part of, the Westworld Board, and the fact that the Board already has a representative in the park, it looks like the show is developing some bigger plotline than just 'Are robots human?' I think the robots plotline is still going to be the main one, but its not the only one. It makes me wonder if we'll get some scenes outside the park and its employee facilities at some point; something back in the 'real world.'

Also, is Delores actually 'dreaming' when she's talking to Bernard? That is, is it some kind of remote conversation and she isn't physically there with him? Because if she is physically there I don't see how she would've gotten away from Logan and William during the night for that talk at the start; unless those talks are actually happening in a different timeline from her time with William.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Also, is Delores actually 'dreaming' when she's talking to Bernard? That is, is it some kind of remote conversation and she isn't physically there with him? Because if she is physically there I don't see how she would've gotten away from Logan and William during the night for that talk at the start; unless those talks are actually happening in a different timeline from her time with William.

That was my conclusion, too. The room she is in when she talks to Bernard only looks similar to the facility rooms, possibly as a way to fool us, but it's just a neutral "location" in her mind.

Been really enjoying this and that there is a real building of something beyond the hosts Robots being self-aware.

Did not get into Lost and reading some reviews have them drawing negative on this and appears to be from issues with that show.  I am enjoying the ride right now especially with Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris.  Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton have also been outstanding.

This always comes to mind when I hear  Habenera

Spoiler

Ford's god complex is a bit terrifying. I'm wondering if he had Arnold "accidentally" killed and the MiB is finding clues Arnold left behind for him. Basically the "I left an envelope with instructions in case anything happens to me" routine. Interesting bit of information from the other guest trying to strike up conversation with the MiB about his foundation saving a loved one.

I had to check whether Armistice always had the snake tattoo. I thought maybe it was added later for Ford's new storyline. Nope always there.

I am loving the awakening of the hosts. It was very well done with Maeve and the explanation of the shades being tied into the Native American myth. It is very Twilight Zone for the hosts. So much of this seems very Promethian to me, but I've yet to settle on any one character filling the role of Prometheus. The image of Teddy tied to the tree with the vulture waiting only added to my thoughts of Prometheus.

Can't wait for the Ford and MiB showdown next week.

I watch with subtitles and the MiB is referred to as the MiB. Why would they keep his identity secret? If he was a member of the board, why would he say that he was on vacation? The creators say "Ed's character represents all that is human." Why the ambiguity? Is the Wyatt story new? If it hadn't been created then the MiB would be stuck at the Snake Lady level. Bernard introduced Dolores to the maze, so the MiB's quest isn't unique to him, as I thought it was. I think Bernard said that the maze led to freedom while the MiB says he'll find truth. I'm not ready to give up on the idea that the MiB is a host, perhaps Arnold's Opus, looking for its creator after thirty years of learning by repeating.

Wouldn't the MiB have figured how to blow the lock y himself? Instead the omniscient "request for two pyrotechnic low level explosions." Someone is minding him. 

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Yeah I am thinking its some kind of virtual interface.  Not sure if it is in every host or if Bernard added some kind of backdoor into Dolores' programming to have his little conversations and story time.

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

That conversation between Ford and the CEO was creepy af.. The way he kept referring to her as " there have been many of u over the years..."  I really thought that the CEO, Bernard and all the other employees are actually Robots. Especially since Ford knows their entire "backstory" 

Yeah that was the most intrigueing part of the episode for me. Theres this whole mysterious storyline between Ford/creator, handlers/security/mgt, corporate/investors and all the subtle tensions, competition and armwrestling between these parties.

Very curious how this "outside the park drama"  continues to play out.

7 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It also kind of makes him appear less sinister. 

Definitely. The guest who confronted him was saying something about his foundation and saving his sisters life which implies he's probably a pretty good dude outside the park. 

Thinking again about how far in the future this might be, some of the stuff they've shown in this episode suggests that nano-technology is prevalent. Could be just micro-technology, but to make everything look and feel realistic, but then have them not function on command like the fake cigar bombs or the guns make me think everything is embedded with nano-robots that can be controlled remotely.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Definitely. The guest who confronted him was saying something about his foundation and saving his sisters life which implies he's probably a pretty good dude outside the park. 

The same goes for Logan too. He's kind of a dick but something William said led me to believe that he's mugh different on the outside. 

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Well, I hope this episode puts the "MiB" is an android to rest after all.

Really interested in the Maeve storyline now.

It also confirms that MiB is not Arnold. 

Now I'm thinking that Arnold's death in the park was part of the critical failure 30 years ago. The way MiB said it, that Arnold broke the rule of guests not being able to die in the park, suggests that Arnold's death wasn't just some mishap, like he fell and broke his neck, but it was a serious incident that more than likely involved malfunctioning hosts.

Archived