HBO's Westworld- Enter the maze [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

This was probably mentioned but I was surprised when William got shot, even if it just left a bruise. Not consistent with what happens when people shoot the Man in Black. So I guess that supports the idea that he is special host? Or the "gold package" makes you invincible, but that seems like it'd take the fun out of it. 

Just now, RumHam said:

This was probably mentioned but I was surprised when William got shot, even if it just left a bruise. Not consistent with what happens when people shoot the Man in Black. So I guess that supports the idea that he is special host? Or the "gold package" makes you invincible, but that seems like it'd take the fun out of it. 

Or MiB is so used to it now, that he doesn't even flinch when he gets shot. He could be full of bruises.;)

But, as you say, it does also support the theory that he is a special host.

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I think we saw exactly what happened, she broke out of her loop, rode away and met up with William and everything we've seen is going on at the same time. 

Exactly. With this episode's evidence I'm resting my theory.

2 hours ago, The Monkey said:

Interesting how differently people think. I imagine this to be at least 300 years into the future.

300 is too far - if it was 40K a day would probably be cheap. I went for 30+ on the assumption the park has been around 30 years and the host tech turned up tomorrow. It's a minimum though but like others say it's plausibly this century. The npn hosts feel fairly contemporary too as if they aren't so different from us

34 minutes ago, red snow said:

Exactly. With this episode's evidence I'm resting my theory.

Okay. I'm 97% agreeing...one MINOR point...with the new back story added to Teddy...and this is really where it falls apart for me, but I need to type this out to help convince myself it's silly...Teddy's promise to Dolores makes that much more sense now.  He told her he'd come back, and now when he does, it's something...

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Or MiB is so used to it now, that he doesn't even flinch when he gets shot. He could be full of bruises.;)

Yeah, that's how I took it as. MiB knows all too well what it feels like, and wasn't just plain surprised like William was. While essentially harmless, it does add some level of danger and excitement to the guests as nobody likes to get shot with a paintball gun. 

I think that these glitches are intentional...and someone is intentionally pushing the limits if what the hosts can think and feel, --which is why they brought up Arnold--  I'm just not sure whether its Bernard,(who has the motive because of his son) or Dr Ford (who, lets face it, used to eat people)

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, that's how I took it as. MiB knows all too well what it feels like, and wasn't just plain surprised like William was. While essentially harmless, it does add some level of danger and excitement to the guests as nobody likes to get shot with a paintball gun. 

I guess it depends how hard they actually hit, I thought William was spun around and knocked off his feet by the impact. I just can't see someone being shot in the gut by a paintballish projectile and not reacting at all. 

I was just realizing how creepy it is that they have child hosts. That didn't really sink in at first. Like if a guest encountered that little British kid (who may or may not be based on young Ford) and decided to bugger him, you think the staff would just let that happen? 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I guess it depends how hard they actually hit, I thought William was spun around and knocked off his feet by the impact. I just can't see someone being shot in the gut by a paintballish projectile and not reacting at all. 

I was just realizing how creepy it is that they have child hosts. That didn't really sink in at first. Like if a guest encountered that little British kid (who may or may not be based on young Ford) and decided to bugger him, you think the staff would just let that happen? 

They don't judge. 

9 hours ago, RumHam said:

That is incredibly dark although that kid is the only one (i think) we've seen and may therefore be a host that Ford secrets away? I also think society does place limits on what's considered "entertainment" eg you'd never see the scenario you described as an option in a video game. Although if this is entertainment for the elite, maybe nothing is truly off limits? Using the video game analogy there are often characters you can't kill as they are vital to the storyline eg in Resident evil you simply can't target certain characters with a gun (I admit I tried). That may happen in Westworld?

I wonder if the players pay upfront for damage caused or whether there's a surcharge for destroying hosts? It can't be cheap to fix ones that have their insides blown out or decapitated.

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Okay. I'm 97% agreeing...one MINOR point...with the new back story added to Teddy...and this is really where it falls apart for me, but I need to type this out to help convince myself it's silly...Teddy's promise to Dolores makes that much more sense now.  He told her he'd come back, and now when he does, it's something...

I'm not entirely following. Do you mean the fact that Delores seems to remember each day means she accepts Teddy's promise of coming back? Anyway I'd appreciate some clarification as I think you're probably making a good point and I'm being to dense to grasp it.

Not sure if I liked the time looping in this episode. Gets too hard to believe what you are seeing on the screen. I do understand why it's being done, just hate having to second guess my eyes.

Ford was pretty surprising with his hardline stance on the hosts and what they are. I have to think he knows exactly what Bernard is doing and is trying to warn him off of it.

As to the kids, there are more, we saw MiB threatening the daughter and wife of that guy and the daughter telling him to go to the snake place.

So, the "stray"... Did someone who was observing that last scene make the host wake up and then make him destroy his head? The security guy was cutting his head off, said we only need his head, then the host wakes up and gets out, only to destroy the one thing they were after? Seems pretty clear to me that he did it on command to hide something.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I'm not entirely following. Do you mean the fact that Delores seems to remember each day means she accepts Teddy's promise of coming back? Anyway I'd appreciate some clarification as I think you're probably making a good point and I'm being to dense to grasp it.

What I want to say is that Dolores has, thus far, actually always said, "You came back" to Teddy first thing when she sees him in their loop.  While it isn't exactly relevant to where Teddy had actually been before...now that Ford has given more back story to Teddy wherein he promises Dolores he will return, the earlier comments from her now have actual context...particularly if you place the Wyatt story and William's time at the park as flashback scenes we're seeing...

And I hope that makes sense...

I think Teddy's original role was as an introductory character for new guests, almost a tutor or trainer, basically their first waypoint to lay out their options, do they want to go to the brothels and gambling halls or join him hunting bounties, etc.    His loop always starts on the train, where he can interact with new guests arriving at the park and become their guide if they want him to be.   So Dolores saying "You came back"  is just acknowledging that his loop starts on the train coming into town.

Ford giving Teddy a backstory, now expands his role to include the introduction and background information for the new Wyatt story line, then he gets killed and can start his loop over.

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

I think Teddy's original role was as an introductory character for new guests, almost a tutor or trainer, basically their first waypoint to lay out their options, do they want to go to the brothels and gambling halls or join him hunting bounties, etc.    His loop always starts on the train, where he can interact with new guests arriving at the park and become their guide if they want him to be.   So Dolores saying "You came back"  is just acknowledging that his loop starts on the train coming into town.

Ford giving Teddy a backstory, now expands his role to include the introduction and background information for the new Wyatt story line, then he gets killed and can start his loop over.

Actually...is it odd that Teddy starts out on the train, in general?  Do other hosts start there...?

But yes, it does make sense that, as he's gotten of the train he's come back". It's just the new back story and the vehemence with which Dolores makes him promise and then he does...it's ALMOST, as though William is part of a flashback.  It's weak, I admit, but I think it's the thin edge of a wedge should the flashback story eventually rear it's head anyway...

56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Actually...is it odd that Teddy starts out on the train, in general?  Do other hosts start there...?

But yes, it does make sense that, as he's gotten of the train he's come back". It's just the new back story and the vehemence with which Dolores makes him promise and then he does...it's ALMOST, as though William is part of a flashback.  It's weak, I admit, but I think it's the thin edge of a wedge should the flashback story eventually rear it's head anyway...

I believe it was episode 2, when they show the people in the car you can see 3-4 people "waking" up and the other passengers looking at them. I believe they are all hosts and them arriving on the train is a part of their story.

Loving it.

Have serious questions about how the actual park works, some hosts clearly just reset the same day over and over (Teddy and Delores are a very simple story, for folk who want to kill a gunslinger and rape a girl,) whilst others are on longer loops, Hectors gang turn up a week early, that group of guys have been camped out for two days waiting for firewood, the prostitutes remember the guys from the night before. Then there's stuff about kids and violence and weapons, sure bullets might turn to dust on impact, but shrapnel must surely exist, and we've seen explosions.

But I'm willing to suspend all that. I'm being given clues bit by bit, and whilst I feel confused the show doesn't make me feel dumb.

Archived