The Stark family. Not you Robb.

Jon's Queen Consort

I have said it numberless times but I would like to talk more about it. Ever since TWOIAF we have a small part of the Stark family tree. Now what I find very curious and interesting even a foreshadowing is that while in Stark family there were Kings named Jon and Brandon Stark, two other named Rickon and there are even a Sansa and an Arya. Yet what isn’t there is a Robb. From what we know so far when the majority of Ned’s children and his bastard were named after a Stark but his firstborn heir and later the King doesn’t have a family name. However we see a Robb in the Riverlands, Red Robb Rivers, a Blackwood bastard and a famed archer.

Could this be because after thousands of years of Starks being the Northern overlords Robb was the one who lost the North while the other children will claim it back?

I think Robb was named for Eddard's one true love. Its only fitting to name his first born to the man, Ned knelt at, despite having a piece of land whose as big as Winterfell's garden. A person who forced Ned to fight in a war which wasn't his and act as a father to an ungrateful piece of crap earning the ire of the iron islands in the process. The very man who pushed Ned to lie about his nephew's origins hurting his own wife in the process.  The man who allowed his little princess to be promised to that piece of crap,  and who ended up losing his life and that of half of his family just to safeguard the drunkard's honour. 

I certainly have thought so. All the Stark kids, including Jon, have been given a significant and/or historical Stark name… except that poor Robb. I do believe that careful readers who also love in-world history would put this together at some point and I think it was done on purpose.  The one who dies is not given a Stark name and he dies where his birth name originates from. 

To me and a few others, it seems that every time a Stark leaves the north and ventures too far south below the neck, or for too long (not 100% which one yet), they always end up dead. Rickard, Brandon, Ned, Robb, Lady, Rickon (Son of Cregan), etc. I think it is also imperative that if they do die while south, that their bones are brought back north and interred correctly so that they may be at peace.

I know we are waiting for Ned's bones to show up… but I can't remember what happened to Robb and Grey Wind's bones. Maybe Arya finds them and brings them home? She has learned how to clean and prep dead bodies while with the FM (maybe not to the point that Robb and GW would be now?), but she could help. Robb was, after all, a Stark child and King in the North :commie:

6 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I certainly have thought so. All the Stark kids, including Jon, have been given a significant and/or historical Stark name… except that poor Robb. I do believe that careful readers who also love in-world history would put this together at some point and I think it was done on purpose.  The one who dies is not given a Stark name and he dies where his birth name originates from. 

To me and a few others, it seems that every time a Stark leaves the north and ventures too far south below the neck, or for too long (not 100% which one yet), they always end up dead. Rickard, Brandon, Ned, Robb, Lady, etc. I think it is also imperative that if they do die while south, that their bones are brought back north and interred correctly so that they may be at peace.

I know we are waiting for Ned's bones to show up… but I can't remember what happened to Robb and Grey Wind's bones. Maybe Arya fins them and brings them home? She has learned how to clean and prep dead bodies while with the FM (maybe not to the point that Robb and GW would be now?), but she could help. Robb was, after all, a Stark child and King in the North :commie:

Cregan Stark

15 minutes ago, devilish said:

I think Robb was named for Eddard's one true love.

Then he would had been Robert.

8 minutes ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

I think Robb is named after Robert. Bran is after his brother, Jon is after Jon Arryn and the Greatjon, Arya is after Arya Flint?, Rickon is after Rickard Stark and Rickard Karstark.

I don't agree. 

If Robb was after Robert he would had been named Robbert. I think that he was named after Robb Rivers. Bran is a traditional Stark name.There was a King Jon Stark, but he was named after Jon Arryn. There are three Rickon Stark so far, Ned's son, Cragan's son and Cregan's father. Why Ned should name his children after GreatJon or Karstark?

15 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The one who dies is not given a Stark name and he dies where his birth name originates from. 

I hadn't noticed that.

3 minutes ago, Ser Rolland Storn said:

I think Robb is named after Robert. Bran is after his brother, Jon is after Jon Arryn and the Greatjon, Arya is after Arya Flint?, Rickon is after Rickard Stark and Rickard Karstark.

But Robb is just Robb. It is not short for Robert as I once thought when first reading. And there was a Rickon that was married a Glover a while back. 

1 minute ago, devilish said:

He dominated the South during the hour of the wolf

Ok, so this would add to my thinking that he spent too much time down south. I know he was a short-term hand, but I couldn't remember if he died down south or not. Thanks! 

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

But Robb is just Robb. It is not short for Robert as I once thought when first reading. And there was a Rickon that was married a Glover a while back. 

Robb is short for Robert. Which is only fair. Robert was Ned's true love. I wonder if Cat ever heard Ned whispering Robert while performing his duties with her

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

However Robb is Robb not Robert. Wait was Robb Rivers Ned's one true love? :eek::ack:

Are you sure about that? He also said to Lyanna that Robert was a good man and he duped the world in believing that Jon was his bastard. Love is blind

Just now, devilish said:

Robb is short for Robert. Which is only fair. Robert was Ned's true love. I wonder if Cat ever heard Ned whispering Robert while performing his duties with her

Well, if you are gonna sink in the swamps, you should know that Robert was not Ned's greatest love :rolleyes:, but Ice was. Can't you see?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Ned_%26_Ice.jpg

2 minutes ago, devilish said:

Robb is short for Robert. 

1 minute ago, devilish said:

Are you sure about that? He also said to Lyanna that Robert was a good man and he duped the world in believing that Jon was his bastard. Love is blind

Robb is just Robb. There is no reason for being a short name. If he was after Robert he would had been named Robert and called Robb.

Also @The Fattest Leech He was born and died in Riverlands.

4 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ok, so this would add to my thinking that he spent too much time down south. I know he was a short-term hand, but I couldn't remember if he died down south or not. Thanks! 

I think Robb was also called the King of the Trident or Riverlands for a while since that's all he ever ruled over

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The reason why the wolves struggle down south is because they are not interested in making alliances with the two powerhouses in the South + they repeatedly underestimate them. 1-2 wins was enough for Robb to put a crown on his head. 

Archived