The Stark family. Not you Robb.

Jon's Queen Consort

To me it is in line with Ned's personality that he would name his two sons born during the Rebellion after his two most beloved people and brothers in arms: Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon. Note that he names his youngest Rickon and not Rickard (Bran is probably Brandon but not called that way in order to avoid confusion).

Red Robb Rivers was a bastard of House Blackwood, which has a Northern origin and is still very strongly tied to Northern religion and custom. So maybe Robb is a Northern variety of Robert, albeit very rare.

Edric Dayne is named after Ned, yet his name is not Eddard. There are lots of Walda's named after Walder Frey. There are probably many more examples like that, I don't think copying the precise spelling is overly important.

13 minutes ago, devilish said:

Its tongue to cheek. But seriously Ned's respect towards Robert is disturbing

What!?! No it's not. Since both had to die within the first half of the first book, the readers had to be given a strong showing of how brotherly and close and respectable they were to each other kinda quickly. 

Anyway, this has little to do with the topic of Robb and his un-Stark name and claim to the North and such. 

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Edric Dayne is named after Ned, yet his name is not Eddard. There are lots of Walda's named after Walder Frey. There are probably many more examples like that, I don't think copying the precise spelling is overly important.

We don't know if he was named after Ned, his nickname was just Ned.

41 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I certainly have thought so. All the Stark kids, including Jon, have been given a significant and/or historical Stark name… except that poor Robb. I do believe that careful readers who also love in-world history would put this together at some point and I think it was done on purpose.  The one who dies is not given a Stark name and he dies where his birth name originates from. 

To me and a few others, it seems that every time a Stark leaves the north and ventures too far south below the neck, or for too long (not 100% which one yet), they always end up dead. Rickard, Brandon, Ned, Robb, Lady, etc.

Here's a problem, though: the Ned spent his entire youth in the South, culminating in fighting and winning the war for Bob, but what did him in was his relatively brief gig as Bob's hand, several years after.

(Serious mode off...)

25 minutes ago, devilish said:

Robb is short for Robert. Which is only fair. Robert was Ned's true love. I wonder if Cat ever heard Ned whispering Robert while performing his duties with her

Whispering? Pshaw. Whispering is for duplicitous fellas, the likes of Varys and Littlefinger. Ned don't whisper. "For Robert!" he shouted, and he came up snarling, lifting the frost-covered longsword with both hands and swinging it around... She probably thought he was expressing his patriotism. Silly Cat.

(The quote is actually from the books, though I might have taken it out of context).

11 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

The name Walda is the feminine version of Walder. The girls were given that name to honor their father/grandfather/old guy on the seat-father.

This is probably like the way Arya takes the name Arry when she is hiding as a boy. It seems to be the male version of Arya. Which could make sense because this is Arya's first, self appointed, hiding name. It sounds like her name, but one apart, just like Arya is still herself, but one apart as she is in hiding.

Probably also IF Edric is truly named after Eddard, then it was in honor of him and not directly after him or else his name would be Eddard or Ned. Maybe Ned had a different nickname while down south? Don't know but one is never mentioned.

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

This is probably like the way Arya takes the name Arry when she is hiding as a boy. It seems to be the male version of Arya. Which could make sense because this is Arya's first, self appointed, hiding name. It sounds like her name, but one apart, just like Arya is still herself, but one apart as she is in hiding.

Like Viserra seems to be the female version of Viserys and this is why I don't agree for those who say that Jon was named Viserys after Visenya.

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The name Walda is the feminine version of Walder. The girls were given that name to honor their father/grandfather/old guy on the seat-father.

Probably also IF Edric is truly named after Eddard, then it was in honor of him and not directly after him or else his name would be Eddard or Ned. Maybe Ned had a different nickname while down south? Don't know but one is never mentioned.

What is the difference between being named after and being named in honour of someone? Is it just that the spelling can be slightly different in the latter case? If so then Robb is named in honour of Robert.

8 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Here's a problem, though: the Ned spent his entire youth in the South, culminating in fighting and winning the war for Bob, but what did him in was his relatively brief gig as Bob's hand, several years after.

(Serious mode off...)

Whispering? Pshaw. Whispering is for duplicitous fellas, the likes of Varys and Littlefinger. Ned don't whisper. "For Robert!" he shouted, and he came up snarling, lifting the frost-covered longsword with both hands and swinging it around... She probably thought he was expressing his patriotism. Silly Cat.

(The quote is actually from the books, though I might have taken it out of context).

First: never use serious mode with me :ack:.                                       I'm kidding, I knew what you meant.

Yeah, this is what was kinda mentioned above and I tried to parse out a little, the difference betwenn just going south, or staying too long. It seems that it could be staying too long at this point. Or it could be going south-south past the areas where the old gods, CotF, or those who just don't deal in bronze and iron still "roam". Ned went too far south, and was having actual physical difficulties because of it, and he started messing with the ways of southern rule (Cersei's incestuous bastards) and he got himself in a position to be killed.

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Like Viserra seems to be the female version of Viserys and this is why I don't agree for those who say that Jon was named Viserys after Visenya.

Hey, that is a very good point! I'll have to remember that because it doesn't fit within the story to do so.

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

What is the difference between being named after and being named in honour of someone? Is it just that the spelling can be slightly different in the latter case? If so then Robb is named in honour of Robert.

I guess what I am saying is that I am not totally convinced that Edric= our known Ned. And if so, then something may happen to Edric that parallels Ned.

There is written account of every other Stark kid having a traditional Stark name. The exception is Robb, who was born and died in the Riverlands. Also, Robb, the first born and a male, wasn't named after Ned or any other historical Stark kinda speaks volumes as well.

3 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Robb is probably named after Robert. You don't have to give someone the exact same name to honour them. Just like Rickon is probably named, at least partly, for Ned's own father.

True. But there were "historical" Rickon's in the Stark lineage so it could easily have come from tradition as well. There are no Robb's or Robert's for the Starks. Even the bastard Jon has a traditional Stark name if it comes down to that.

Also, with all of the honor and admiration that Ned has for his old friend Robert, if Robb (with 2 b's) was named after Robert, then why wasn't the reader every told so. Seems a silly thing to keep "hidden" when Ned is so forthcoming about Robert in all other aspects.

57 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ok, so this would add to my thinking that he spent too much time down south. I know he was a short-term hand, but I couldn't remember if he died down south or not. Thanks! 

He was Hand for a day in KL for Aegon III, and only  held court there for six days. He marched South with an army but actually never did do any battle (he wanted to, but didn't get the chance). He arrested 22 men for the poisoning and murder of Aegon II, and presided over the trials and executions of these men. Several chose the NW, others chose death and were beheaded. He resigned the day after, married Black Aly Blackwood (instead of a Targ princess) and went back North. The men he had in his army were unwed, childless and homeless or yougn sons. Many of those remained South.

It's a "time" thing and what the Stark ends up doing South. A Stark (ruler of the underworld) can preside over murderous crimes and perform justice, but when they start to meddle too much in the non-underworld, fate takes care of them harshly.

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

True. But there were "historical" Rickon's in the Stark lineage so it could easily have come from tradition as well. There are no Robb's or Robert's for the Starks. Even the bastard Jon has a traditional Stark name if it comes down to that.

That is my point. It is quite strange how Ned's heir wasn't named after a Stark.

2 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

He was Hand for a day in KL for Aegon III, and only  held court there for six days. He marched South with an army but actually never did do any battle (he wanted to, but didn't get the chance). He arrested 22 men for the poisoning and murder of Aegon II, and presided over the trials and executions of these men. Several chose the NW, others chose death and were beheaded. He resigned the day after and went back North. The men he had in his army were unwed, childless and homeless or yougn sons. Many of those remained South.

It's a "time" thing and what the Stark ends up doing South. A Stark (ruler of the underworld) can preside over murderous crimes and perform justice, but when they start to meddle too much in the non-underworld, fate takes care of them harshly.

Ah! Thank you. This is where my thinking on this always ended up going- to the time and work rather than just the travel south. Thank you.

30 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

Ned was neither heir nor ruler of the North when he was fostered in the Vale.

13 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

There is written account of every other Stark kid having a traditional Stark name. The exception is Robb, who was born and died in the Riverlands. Also, Robb, the first born and a male, wasn't named after Ned or any other historical Stark kinda speaks volumes as well.

It is certainly a meta-oddity. I'm not so sure that Ned named him even. Robb was born in Riverrun while Ned was fighting and absent. It's possible that Catelyn actually named him.

Archived