Am I The Only One Around Here Who V.2

siyxx

@RhaenysB, I have this strong feeling you've read the "leaks" doing the round for Season 7 on the net .....:D

Fwiw, I have read them too, and I don't think they're real. If they are, well, stock up on the alcohol, get some show-hater friends over (or log onto here) and simply laugh while watching the season :P 

In general, though, I think they begin writing the scripts in Feb-March I guess, and filming usually begins by Aug-Sept, so I think 6 months.

AITOOAH who wishes all us anti-show people over here could watch Season 7 together, preferably drinking everytime a character acts OOC, or something? I don't know too many people in RL who resent the show as much as I do, the book reader friends have more of a mild dislike. 

No you're not. I would love to do this. Since it's practically impossible we should just chat in the rant and rave threads. IMO we could make a drinking game or bingo (in case we don't want to be drunk after 20 minutes) with the following categories. 

- Drink everytime something "epic" happens. 

- Drink everytime something "shocking" happens. 

- Drink everytime a character acts OOC

- Drink everytime a character teleports. 

- Drink everytime a character does something "badass". 

- Drink everytime the show contradicts itself (something like Tyrion claiming that Theom mocked him while it was actually the other way round). 

- Drink everytime a Stark or Snow does something stupid. 

- Drink everytime Daenerys lists her titles  or everytime she makes her generic Dany speeches. 

- Drink everytime a character makes a dickjoke.

Did I miss something? 

Re feminism: The shows version of feminism is terrible. I wouldn't even call it feminism, because it has nothing to do with the feminism I know and believe in. 

Re leaks: Most of it sounds fake and parts of it have actually been debunked on Reddit. 

Am I the only one around here who liked Areo Hotah in the books? 

8 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

No you're not. I would love to do this. Since it's practically impossible we should just chat in the rant and rave threads. IMO we could make a drinking game or bingo (in case we don't want to be drunk after 20 minutes) with the following categories. 

- Drink everytime something "epic" happens. 

- Drink everytime something "shocking" happens. 

- Drink everytime a character acts OOC

- Drink everytime a character teleports. 

- Drink everytime a character does something "badass". 

- Drink everytime the show contradicts itself (something like Tyrion claiming that Theom mocked him while it was actually the other way round). 

- Drink everytime Stark or Snow does something stupid. 

- Drink everytime Daenerys lists her titles  or everytime she makes her generic Dany speeches. 

- Drink everytime a character makes a dickjoke.

Did I miss something? 

Re feminism: The shows version of feminism is terrible. I wouldn't even call it feminism, because it has nothing to do with the feminism I know and believe in. 

Re leaks: Most of it sounds fake and parts of it have actually been debunked on Reddit. 

Am I the only one around here who liked Areo Hotah in the books? 

I don't know if I'm the right person to answer about Areo Hotah, I don't really know people who are his fans, but they probably exist.

I was going to answer to the previous post, but I got ninjuad and the computer ate my answer. I just want to say that something like that already exists - there were Liveblogs on Fandomfollowing during season 6, where amazing 'book snobs' who often criticize GoT on Tumblr and run that website were commenting on each episode as it was airing, (other people were commenting, too) and there was a Book Snob Bingo - they would tick a box each time a character would act in a completely opposite way than in the books, each time there's a dick joke, each other Tyrion gets praised by someone, etc. and then they'd see if they have the Bingo for that episode. I don't watch the show anymore and it was past my bedtime anyway, but it was always fun to read the blog the next day.

@RhaenysB I'd say that a show set in a feudal patriarchal society must be feminist, because the alternative would be not explore/criticize the inequality and injustices of that society, and instead pretend that it's wonderful. I think GRRM does that very well in the books. But that's not what the show is doing. The show runners seem to think that showing women being ;badass' and beating up or killing men is what feminism is about. It's a caricature of feminism, and it reminds me of Kate Beaton's parody of Strong Female Characters. http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php/index.php?id=311

AITOOAH who hated it when Brienne fought and beat Sandor, not so much because of itself but because they were trying to make it look like it was something super feminist? Like, oh look, a woman beat up a dude! Yay, girl power! Oh well, sucks for you, the majority of women who can't beat up men in a physical fight, because who can win a fight is what power/success/awesomeness/superiority is all about.

1 hour ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

AITOOAH who wishes all us anti-show people over here could watch Season 7 together, preferably drinking everytime a character acts OOC, or something? I don't know too many people in RL who resent the show as much as I do, the book reader friends have more of a mild dislike. 

Just wanted to say that this would be amazing!

7 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

AITOOAH who hated it when Brienne fought and beat Sandor, not so much because of itself but because they were trying to make it look like it was something super feminist? Like, oh look, a woman beat up a dude! Yay, girl power! Oh well, sucks for you, the majority of women who can't beat up men in a physical fight, because who can win a fight is what power/success/awesomeness/superiority is all about.

Nope! I for one totally agree.

And now I must ironically post this (caution: language)

AITOOAHW really really really really really wants the "night lamp" theory to be true?

I don't know what that theory is.

@Annara Snow That would be the goal, to channel the feminism grrm incorporated in the books. But instead they push a wild feminism that basically says all men are stupid and incompetent, let's kill them all and rule the world because we can. This is dumb on every level. 

@Little Scribe of Naath Haha, I read those leaks, indeed, but I don't believe any of them. The question came from a couple D&D interviews, which gave me the impression that they didn't start writing season 7 until HBO officially signed it and about four weeks after the announcement actors were already commenting how crazy the new script is. I'm hoping that I got the wrong impression and s7 script has been in the making long before HBO officially signed for s7&8. 

Re show-hate party: I don't hate the show. I dislike certain aspects of it (writing, mainly) and love to criticize it (actually I love to criticize everything). And while I rant about the idiotic plot decisions, horrible screen time allocation and poor dialogue, I am also very apologetic and defend it a lot. Admittedly there's less and less to defend, and I do enjoy a good rant, but I still appreciate the show. 

Am I the only one around here who feels a little sorry for Stephen Dillane even though I really hate Stannis? There was a lot more in that actor than the role and the directing allowed and he was about the underrated cast-member. 

6 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Am I the only one around here who feels a little sorry for Stephen Dillane even though I really hate Stannis? There was a lot more in that actor than the role and the directing allowed and he was about the underrated cast-member. 

I do not remember Stephen Dillane in much else. Shows how uncultured I am. however, with what I have seen, yes the directing could be better. Makes me wonder if the actors attempted to take the initiative and play their roles with a little more flair, but were then told to stop.

AITOOAH who thinks that Joff could have been likeable had he been fostered out as a squire away from KL?

We're in the area of heredity (or innate character) vs. environment. I think Joff would probably always have been more or less obnoxious, but could have been less loathsome with some proper parenting, and fostering could have provided that. (Though I'm not sure I really thought about it.)

Am I ... who, despite not hating the show (I can still enjoy watching it), wonders how much time they spent writing any of the scripts? Especially recently; egad.

Well, I do hate the show, but I wonder too. Although I think part of the problem is lack of time : there are so few people writing the scripts. They've got too much on their plate and they need to delegate.

Am I the only one around here who loves Sansa but also thinks some of her actions in the first book were really, really wrong and she should be held accountable for them? (I feel that people tend to view her as a terrible person or an angel who did nothing wrong)

6 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

It is about what Stannis might have planned to take down his enemies. It's worth a read if you are interested.

Carry on.

Thanks for the link. This is definitely... very interesting. 

I don't think so. Sansa was a horrible person in book 1, but she was only 11 so I'm not sure about accountability. Also, what goes around comes around, Sansa suffered a lot for those bad decisions. 

Am I the only one around here who does not obsessively love 'the Starks' as one entity (or even as particular individuals)? 

I don't obsessively love any family or character within the series. I just obsessively love the series overall. So you're not alone, and there are even some people who HATE the Starks with the fire of a bajillion suns--one in particular comes to mind who I think has to be deliberately trolling because the arguments he/she uses are beyond ridiculous.

AITOOAHW thinks the costuming quality has really fallen off in recent seasons?

No, you're not I would love to hear more about it. I always wanted to learn more about Elia. Some characters describe her as weak, but apparently she also had a great wit. She sounds quite intetsting and I could easily imagine that a lot of characters had a false view of her. 

Am I the only one around here who would love to learn more about Visenya Targaryen? 

@Dolorous Gabe I totally want the night lamp theory to be true as well, let Stannis and his men have some victory after marching through that horrid weather, and plus let the Freys finally get it for heavens sake!

Re Stephen Dillane - I haven't seen him in anything else either, but I remember he gave interviews after being killed off in S5 that D&D barely gave him anything to work with; he couldn't understand the character. It's a testament to how good an actor he is that he pulled off Stannis incredibly well without even properly grasping the character. Whenever I read Stannis i picture Dillane now.

Re Sansa - She's simultaneously one of the most overrated and underrated characters in the fandom :D People really tend to go to the extremes with her.

@Lady of Whisperers I'm sure there are quite a few people who would agree with you.

AITOOAH who is a little conflicted over R + L = J even though they believe the theory? The whole idea of someone being qualified to save the world because of "special blood" irks me slightly, and there are times I wish Jon had actually just been Ned's bastard and still saved the world in the end.

No you're not I feel the same way about it. It actually seems a bit obvious now that we know. What bothered me about it was the timetravel aspect. I'm not a big fan of timetravel in general, but it still worked in the show. 

Re Sansa: I know many of you like her character, so I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't like her at all. Neither in the show nor the books (I pity her though). I really disliked her on my first read and had a hard time getting through her chapters. I was very surpised when I joined this board and saw how many people here  loved her character so much. Quite a few people said that they started to appreciate her on re-reads- So I really tried to approach her with an open mind on my re-read and I read some of the re-read threads for her character in order to get a better view of her. I really tried to like her, but it didn't work. She's just not my character. She's still one of my least favourite characters (unless you count' Ramsey, Joffrey, Victarion or Cersei, but I would never put her into the same category as these characters) and her chapters are my least favourite in nearly all books (they got a bit better in AFFC though). Now, I can understand that many people like her, because we have all different opinions and interests. However, what bothers me is the behaviour of some of her fans. Some of her fans (not all of them) deny that she has any flaws or has ever made any mistakes and they belittle the achievements of other characters (usually of Jon, Dany and Arya who are my three favourites) in order to make Sansa's achievements look better. Defences of her are quite often linked with attacks on other characters. When one makes a negative comment about Sansa (even when it's done in a polite way) or mentions one of her mistakes, one get's directly attacked by some of her fans and a shitstorm can follow. Sure some other character's have these fans as well, but I feel like Sansa has more of these kinds of fans than other characters have and her fans tend to be much louder in that regard than the fans of other characters. One thing that really bothers me is that some (again not all) of her fans say "you don't like her because you are sexist and don't like feminine acting characters." I agree that there are some people who don't like her character, because they are sexist, but this is not the case for me. I'm a feminist and I like other femine acting characters like Arianne, Catelyn or Margery, I just don't like Sansa. I wish some of her fans would just stop with viciously attacking people who don't like her and that these kind of fans would be willing to accept that we don't all have the same opinion and can't all like her. 

Am I the only one around here who finds water magic really fascinating and would love to see more of it? 

No. I hope we will, though I'm afraid there won't be enough time.

Re Brienne's hair : I suppose I should blame the show.

Re Sansa's fans attacking others : I think the exact same thing can be said of Dany fans (not all of them, of course) who deny any flaws, accuse those who don't like her of being misogynistic etc. I don't think the problem is with fans of a specific character, it's just that some people are either extremely hateful or extremely protective of some characters so discussions become heated or downright vicious (and "misoginy" is used to defend any female character).

AITOOAHW thinks Joffrey was entertaining ?

3 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

No you're not I feel the same way about it. It actually seems a bit obvious now that we know. What bothered me about it was the timetravel aspect. I'm not a big fan of timetravel in general, but it still worked in the show. 

Re Sansa: I know many of you like her character, so I'm probably in the minority here, but I don't like her at all. Neither in the show nor the books (I pity her though). I really disliked her on my first read and had a hard time getting through her chapters. I was very surpised when I joined this board and saw how many people here  loved her character so much. Quite a few people said that they started to appreciate her on re-reads- So I really tried to approach her with an open mind on my re-read and I read some of the re-read threads for her character in order to get a better view of her. I really tried to like her, but it didn't work. She's just not my character. She's still one of my least favourite characters (unless you count' Ramsey, Joffrey, Victarion or Cersei, but I would never put her into the same category as these characters) and her chapters are my least favourite in nearly all books (they got a bit better in AFFC though). Now, I can understand that many people like her, because we have all different opinions and interests. However, what bothers me is the behaviour of some of her fans. Some of her fans (not all of them) deny that she has any flaws or has ever made any mistakes and they belittle the achievements of other characters (usually of Jon, Dany and Arya who are my three favourites) in order to make Sansa's achievements look better. Defences of her are quite often linked with attacks on other characters. When one makes a negative comment about Sansa (even when it's done in a polite way) or mentions one of her mistakes, one get's directly attacked by some of her fans and a shitstorm can follow. Sure some other character's have these fans as well, but I feel like Sansa has more of these kinds of fans than other characters have and her fans tend to be much louder in that regard than the fans of other characters. One thing that really bothers me is that some (again not all) of her fans say "you don't like her because you are sexist and don't like feminine acting characters." I agree that there are some people who don't like her character, because they are sexist, but this is not the case for me. I'm a feminist and I like other femine acting characters like Arianne, Catelyn or Margery, I just don't like Sansa. I wish some of her fans would just stop with viciously attacking people who don't like her and that these kind of fans would be willing to accept that we don't all have the same opinion and can't all like her. 

Am I the only one around here who finds water magic really fascinating and would love to see more of it? 

Preach!

I completely agree. Even if you feel you might get attacked, don't even worry about it! Stick to your guns and say what you feel. Outside of this forum, believe me, you are part of a majority view. ;)

No you're not. I generally find villains entertaining. In the show Jack Gleeson did a fantastic job of playing him. 

Re: Sansa fans attacking others. Yes, it happens with other fans and this is one of the things I don't like about the fandom, but I've seen it more often among Sansa fans than among the fans of other characters and I would also argue that there is a greater number of Sansa fans who show that kind of behaviour than the fans of other characters showing that behaviour. Both here and on Reddit. Making a comment against Daenerys will actually get you quite a few positive comments here and a few upvotes on Reddit. Making a comment against Sansa will result in more comments against you and downvotes on Reddit (however I'm genrally not a big fan of extremely hatefull comments against charaters and think people should stop making such hateful comments). Of course this also has something to do with the popularity of characters, but I must say that it's nearly impossible these days (and this has been the case for quite a few years) to have a discussion about Sansa without it turning into an ugly fight between posters. While I this can also happen with other characters I think there have been fare more discussions about Jon, Arya or Tyrion which have remained friendly. Of course this might be due to the fact that Sansa is more polarising than these characters, but I saw discussions about Jon's and Dany's arcs in ADWD which remained far more calm than discussions about Sansa. Despite the fact that the arcs of Jon and Dany in ADWD are also polarising. In these discussions I saw more fans of Jon and Dany who where willing to admit that both characters made mistakes than Sansa fans being willing to admit that Sansa has made mistakes. There are some people who believe that Marsh was right to assassinate Jon, because Jon was breaking his vows. Now, I admit that they are some Jon fans who will directly start attacking posters who express these opinions, but I have seen more Jon fans trying to have a calm and reasonable discussion whith people who claim that Marsh was right than I saw Sansa fans trying to have a calm and reasonable discussion with people who claim that Sansa betrayed Ned. Again I don't believe that the majority of Sansa fans is so aggressive, but I must say that I've seen more agressive Sansa fans than agressive fans of other characters. However, I will also admit that Sansa haters are usually more agressive than people who hate Arya, Jon or Tyrion, but Dany and Catelyn haters can also be quite agressive (the haters of both characters outnumber the Sansa haters the Sansa haters these days) and more of their fans remain calm and reasonable. So to summarise it: I don't think the majority of Sansa fans behave this way, but I have seen this kind of behaviour more often among her fans than among the fans of other characters. Maybe this is just my impression, but I have seen quite a few people who have expressed similar views in the past and who got extremely annoyed by this kind of behaviour. 

Sorry for going off topic so much. I don't wanted to turn this into a Sansa discussion, but I wanted to clarify my point.

Am I the only one around here who really hopes that Shiera Seastar is still alive and that we will see her at some point in the story? 

Archived