Worst names in aSoIaF

Ser Scott Malkinson

14 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

The Aenys' obviously always manage to get a smile, especially when hearing people try and say the name without saying what it sounds like.

But for some reason Haegon has always amused me too. It just seems like Daemon went "Well, I have another son and I already have an Aegon. I know! I'll put a 'H' in front of it"

Yes that's so true.

1 hour ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Also, Triarch Belicho is named after Patriots coach Bill Belichick. He was eaten by eaten by Giants. The Patrots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl back in 2007. GRRM is a Giants fan. 

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Belicho

There is another Football reference: Patrek of King's Mountain is named after a friend of  GRRM Patrick St. Denis of Montreal. Patrick is a fan of the Dallas Cowboys football team (whose logo is a blue star), while George supports the New York Giants.

Ser patrek gets ripped apart by a giant.

I don't think that Patrek is a bad name though.

Just now, Bironic said:

There is another Football reference: Patrek of King's Mountain is named after a friend of  GRRM Patrick St. Denis of Montreal. Patrick is a fan of the Dallas Cowboys football team (whose logo is a blue star), while George supports the New York Giants.

Ser patrek gets ripped apart by a giant.

I don't think that Patrek is a bad name though.

This one was put in because he lost a bet if I'm correct.

4 hours ago, GyantSpyder said:

I think he does a good job of making most of the references blend in for the most part, but then there's Grover, Elmo and Kermit Tully.

Oh god this.  A million times this.  I wanted to rage scream when I read that.  It's not even clever.

I'm actually going to go way off the board here just to say that Richard Lonmouth sounds like the name of an actual medieval British person, and for that reason it always struck me as a stupid name for an ASOIAF character.  I really don't understand why its fine for some Stormlanders to have normal names like Robert, Richard, and Justin, but no one else does. 

14 minutes ago, estermonty python said:

Oh god this.  A million times this.  I wanted to rage scream when I read that.  It's not even clever.

I'm actually going to go way off the board here just to say that Richard Lonmouth sounds like the name of an actual medieval British person, and for that reason it always struck me as a stupid name for an ASOIAF character.  I really don't understand why its fine for some Stormlanders to have normal names like Robert, Richard, and Justin, but no one else does. 

Actually every region has some normal names. The north has Owen, Brandon, Ethan and Theo. The reach has Garth, Otto, Tom, Sam etc. You've got Dornishmen named Arthur, Westermen named Jason, Riverlanders named Jason or William and Valemen named Adrian, Robert. I could go on, but I think I've proven my point.

As for Kermit Tully...I'd be annoyed but GRRM made me like him enough that I can look past the blatant reference.

Jennalyn Fowler always makes me cringe.  

I also - controversial opinion time - always thought that the name 'Cersei' glared as atypical for the pseudo-Iberian (kinda) feel that is going on for House Lannister. The suffix is completely unique and the allusion to Circe the Sorceress just makes it stick out among the Joannas, Myrcellas, Gennas, Cerennas et al. 

8 hours ago, ApostolinO said:

“Lancel. Gods, what a stupid name. Lancel Lannister. Who named you, boy, some half-wit with a stutter?”  - Show Bob

I read that in the voice of Sideshow Bob. It was surprisingly fitting. 

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

Balon Greyjoy because Balon means balloon in my language.

Perra Frey is terrible because Perra means "bitch" in Spanish. Again, sort of fitting because we're talking about a Frey. 

Also Euron because piss. 

5 hours ago, Gran de Lys said:

I always cringe at Aerion Brightflame, only because I share a name with The Dumbest Targaryen, minus an "e."

Hey, that title belongs to Aemond!

3 hours ago, dariopatke said:

I seem to be the only one who likes Ghiscari names.

You're not alone. I find them easy to pronounce and differentiate personally.

3 hours ago, Daena the Defiant said:

Jennalyn Fowler always makes me cringe.  

Yeah, Jennelyn is terrible (but not quite as much as Nimble Dick or Dickon Manwoody IMO)

Archived