Worst names in aSoIaF

Ser Scott Malkinson

GRRM has come up with a lot of awful names for his character. I think I know most of the worst ones but maybe there's some I've missed...

None can beat the glorious Dickon Manwoody, but there are also gems such as ser Uther Shett and the Aenyses (Aenys Targaryen and Aenys Frey).

Then there's the stutterers like Lancel Lannister, Ynys Yronwood and Drogon the dragon.

And, of course, all the horrible, unpronounceable Essosi names I'm not even going to try to write down. Write down your favourites if you like, I'll check the spelling ;)

Who did I miss? What (type of) names do you find the most horrendous?

Dickon Manwoody is supposed to be silly.

Yronwood is the stereotypical surfeit of Ys in Fantasy names, but I think the most cringeworthy names are the ones that blatantly reference other works (Gormon Peake, Dagon Greyjoy, Drogo*. Sam wouldn't be an issue were it not that he plays the Sam Gamgee sidekick role too). Those have the effect of breaking suspension of disbelief. 

*Yes, Khal Drogo shares a name with Frodo Baggins' Dad.

9 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Yronwood is the stereotypical surfeit of Ys in Fantasy names, but I think the most cringeworthy names are the ones that blatantly reference other works (Gormon Peake, Dagon Greyjoy, Drogo*. Sam wouldn't be an issue were it not that he plays the Sam Gamgee sidekick role too). Those have the effect of breaking suspension of disbelief. 

Yes Sam is the worst for exactly this reason. I mean I understand that when you have 100's of names and a wide body of influence that some characters will wind up having names you liked from other places. But to take a central character like Sam, a POV character, and just outright give him the name of the archetype character he is based on is no bueno. 

54 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I know it's supposed to be silly, and I love it!

That's why I'm looking for these names, because I enjoy them so much.

55 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

So that's where Frodo's dad went...

I think Sam works better in this story, even if he seems to have a similar role, because not every other character has an insanely awesome name: Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Gandalf the Grey, even Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took have some ring of awesomeness... and then there is SAM!

Aenys always makes me chuckle. 

Dagon Greyjoy always made me think of Boomhower from King of the Hill...Dagon man.

And yeah, pretty much every Slaver's Bay name. Not necessarily bad but seemingly unnecessarily complex. Whenever I'm reading I just kind of think "something something said....that one guy that starts with an M...."

Euron greyjoy

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Yes these are the worst.

53 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Dick Crabb

52 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

That reminds me. Dick Crabb, aka Nimble Dick. Ugh.

OMG HOW COULD I HAVE FORGOTTEN 'NIMBLE' DICK CRABB :rofl: 

52 minutes ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Dick Straw

I think you get it now. I'm done. :D

srsly, how many dick-jokes did he make?!

The Aenys' obviously always manage to get a smile, especially when hearing people try and say the name without saying what it sounds like.

But for some reason Haegon has always amused me too. It just seems like Daemon went "Well, I have another son and I already have an Aegon. I know! I'll put a 'H' in front of it"

Archived