Worst names in aSoIaF

Ser Scott Malkinson

All the Perras, because as someone pointed.out it means bitch in Spanish. 

Dagon is. am awesome name. im sure most of us are aware of the Lovecraft reference.

ill go with Ben Bones cause it just sounds silly

there are one time. targ names that sounds uninspired. Vaegon, Vaemon, Aelora, but no. biggie there 

10 hours ago, Gran de Lys said:

He drank wildfire. What a maroon.

I believe he was really drunk when he did that. If he had been sober he wouldn't have considering he had a newborn and was his father's oldest son at the time. Hence, why, to me, Aemond deserves the title "dumbest Targaryen". The guy had the biggest dragon in the Dance and yet contributed almost nothing to the war effort while simultaneously getting played like a fiddle by Daemon.

Anyway, how did Aerion even get a cup of Wildfire in the first place and why the hell didn't anyone stop him? Sure, he was a scary fellow by this point but still...

On 18/10/2016 at 4:31 PM, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

Frey naming conventions are also great. Beside the 16-or-so Walders and 11-or-so Walda's there's Aenys' son Rhaegar who named HIS kid Robert! Can it get any more absurd?!

Maybe the Freys knew something we do not?:D

Ok its silly but we're discussing Tyrion being Aerys son so.....;)

3 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

I believe he was really drunk when he did that. If he had been sober he wouldn't have considering he had a newborn and was his father's oldest son at the time. Hence, why, to me, Aemond deserves the title "dumbest Targaryen". The guy had the biggest dragon in the Dance and yet contributed almost nothing to the war effort while simultaneously getting played like a fiddle by Daemon.

Anyway, how did Aerion even get a cup of Wildfire in the first place and why the hell didn't anyone stop him? Sure, he was a scary fellow by this point but still...

Well, didn't Aemond kill 3 other Dragonriders? The most stupid is probably Viserys :o

4 hours ago, Goldhands said:

Well, didn't Aemond kill 3 other Dragonriders? The most stupid is probably Viserys :o

He killed Arrax/Lucerys (not much of an accomplishment considering the size difference of their dragons and the weather), helped kill Meleys/Rhaneys, and killed Caraxes. Doesn't make him any less dumb. You can be a great fighter (which we are told but never shown in Aemond's case) and still not be all that bright.

Anyway, I forgot about Viserys I and honestly IMO father and son can share that unenviable title.

On the topic of worst names for me its Aenys too. Seriously, what was GRRM thinking when he came up with that?

13 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

He killed Arrax/Lucerys (not much of an accomplishment considering the size difference of their dragons and the weather), helped kill Meleys/Rhaneys, and killed Caraxes. Doesn't make him any less dumb. You can be a great fighter (which we are told but never shown in Aemond's case) and still not be all that bright.

Anyway, I forgot about Viserys I and honestly IMO father and son can share that unenviable title.

On the topic of worst names for me its Aenys too. Seriously, what was GRRM thinking when he came up with that?

Victarion is a great fighter. Are you saying he's dumb? :lmao: 

I wouldn't call Aemond especially dumb though, just rash, which might come across as dumb in some cases (just like Jaime, for example, who isn't an idiot, but was incredibly rash in the Whispering Woods. And Ned and Sansa aren't dumb either, as some like to claim, they're just really naive). Viserys I was an idiot though.

14 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Uhm, I meant the Beggar King but Viserys I works too I guess.

I was a little surprised to see Aenys mentioned so often, not necessarily that it's a strong name or anything, just the implications that it sounds like anus which makes it "one of the worst."

I always pronounce it Aynees or Aynies, with a long E sound at the end. 

Mad King Aerys isn't pronounced Arus is it? 

20 minutes ago, erra said:

I was a little surprised to see Aenys mentioned so often, not necessarily that it's a strong name or anything, just the implications that it sounds like anus which makes it "one of the worst."

Personally, I always pronounce Aenys as Aeneas but its still pretty bad regardless how you say it.

2 hours ago, erra said:

I was thinking the same thing when I kept seeing Aenys on here. Except my pronunciation in my head is more of a Ayniss.

On ‎19‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 0:52 AM, Daena the Defiant said:

Jennalyn Fowler always makes me cringe.  

I also - controversial opinion time - always thought that the name 'Cersei' glared as atypical for the pseudo-Iberian (kinda) feel that is going on for House Lannister. The suffix is completely unique and the allusion to Circe the Sorceress just makes it stick out among the Joannas, Myrcellas, Gennas, Cerennas et al. 

I blame that one on the father. Tywin wanted an outstanding name for an outstanding daughter.

I know real life people who named their daughter Yuma Taipeh Cheyenne.

Archived