Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

Wahey, City drop points. I think that's definitely put an end to any talk of a City procession to the title. It looks like it's going to be a good title race.

Liverpool being on points at the top of the league is pretty pleasing as well. I wasn't expecting that, especially given the tough start to the season. We just need to improve a bit defensively. Despite fairly poor number of clean sheets I actually do feel like it's an improvement on the last few years, it doesn't like quite as fragile faced with any sort of pressure the way it has been but there's still the potential for at least one key mistake every game.

3 hours ago, Notone said:

Sneak peek at the Mourinho post game presser.

"If the referee had shown David Luiz the red card, it would have been a different." 

again Jose is talking too much.. there was no red card for Chelsea's defender.

It looked a clear red, as did Herrera's foul on Allen against Stoke, as did Sissoko's elbow injury into a face yesterday, and Lamela definitely should have seen a second yellow yesterday.  And let's not start on all the WBA fouls that didn't get cards yesterday.

Some managers -- Poch, Pulis and Mourinho especially -- send their players out to foul as much as possible and rely on the referee's reluctance to show a red card.  It's pretty rich for Mourinho to complain when an opposing player doesn't receive a red since he has cynically exploited that his whole career. 

In fairness the officials probably missed the Sissoko elbow and 2 yellows has a bit of leeway for subjectivity, Atkinson just bottled the decision today. I can't really remember the view the officials had of the Herrera foul.

Alright, most managers and Mourinho in particular might be inconsistent about their reaction to fouls depending on who commits them but it's not hard to see why he'd be unhappy with that decision.

• Chris Smalling was dreadful again. Partially at fault for goal 1, 3 and 4. He has never convinced me as a solid defender and he continues the trend of being a liability. Should have blocked Hazard's shot. Should not have allowed him to come inside at 10 yards from goal, terrible defending. And between him, Blind and De Gea, one of the three should have had the ball instead of Pedro for the 1-0.
  • Pogba has been utterly mundane so far and continued that trend as well. He and Herrera both were extremely lazy in allowing Konte to just walk away from them on that 4th goal. Of course you'd still think Chris Smalling would be able to block an offensive non-entity but nope. The midfield looked overrun and incapable. 

All in all the team is lucky to take 1 point from 2 games against title favourites. Clearly underperforming.

Hard to say why they were so bad. Easily demoralized maybe? The thing that is structural with this team is the incredible defensive frailty. I think this is partly down to the fact that Smalling and Blind just aren't very good defenders anyway and are thus liabilities in every game. They will have good moments, but each match there are moments when they are tricked and found out by attackers. Blind of course is not a defender anyway. The second problem is that everyone can clearly see that the offensive play is completely hobbled. Relying on a brilliant moment from someone but no real plan going forward.

Archived