Football: Sheikh your Money Maker

Nas!

i thought the EL offered a lab environment to experiment with different players and formations as you search for some semblance of cohesion, but it's just more of the same.

I can remember a time when I would wish United's extra games might lead to a small injury or fatigue for one of their key players, but other than DDG I can't think of any player that a rival fan might wish would miss a game or two.  Possibly Mata.  It's the collective that's so poor. 

19 hours ago, Raja said:

Arsenal struggle against teams that effectively press them high up the pitch. We'll struggle if our passing is not on point. 

Any team would. Even Barcelona, Real or Bayern. Question is, where is Tottenham gonna get goals from because since Kane has been injured, only maybe Delle Ali can but they're lacking goals. Jansen is poor, Lamela off form, Eriksen too. at keast defence is working for them.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Complete opposite of Burnley where y'all completely dominated. Seems Jose has no plan whatsoever for when you guys give up an early goal, the team just collapses. 

Mourinho likes to play away from home on 0:0 and then nick the goal at some point, did that with Chelsea when he was manager up there.. They almost did it with Liverpool and Zlatan should've scored, Chelsea caught them and Pedro turned the game around and no plan as you said. At home Jose is always more adventureous but away from home always passive and try no to leak goals, but with this defence. Not sure if they can outscore opponents.

But "keep it tight at the back and try to nick a goal from somewhere" comes from the Allardyce and Pulis school of management.  Just because you can occasionally thwart a better team doesn't excuse the fact that Utd should be the better team in the first place.  This is one of the most expensive teams ever, littered with title winners and a mix of youth and experience, plus they were already one of the meanest defenses over the past two years.  There's no excuse for playing like a midtable team.  Where's all the arrogance and style it took Ferguson so long to instill?

I keep hoping he will start Martial Rashford and Zlatan. He never does.

Then again who knows if that is the solution to all this misery, but surely it's worth a try. I would start Mata in that lien-up as well, use all the offensive qualities to try and dominate your opponent rather than hold back.

I agree with what Isk has said: it is perfectly acceptable for teams like Burnley/West Brom etc. to resort to those tactics when playing the bigger teams because they do not have the quality to go toe-to-toe. At United these tactics are unacceptable because what these tactics say to me is "we are not good enough to compete with you".

I fear it has become clear that our problems go deeper than playing style, formations or combinations of players - there are serious question marks over the attitude of the team. There have been several games already where the players looked like they couldn't be arsed. Mourinho was spot on with his post match comments: Fenerbahce approached the game like a cup final whereas we played like it was a preseason friendly.

My expectations for the season are quite low now. Even challenging for 4th place will require a massive improvement. A victory against Swansea would come as a bigger shock than a draw or loss. What are the chances of coaxing Fergie out of retirement?

There's a fun mix of games this week.  Arsenal v Spurs and Chelsea v Everton means that at least two of them will drop points, so City will have high expectations of profiting against Boro and United have a great chance of a slump-buster against Swansea.  Even if Utd are a bit shit right now, Zlatan will dominate the Swans' CBs, so lots of crosses should result in a headed goal for him or even a poacher's goal for Rashford from a knockdown.  

Liverpool host Watford, another team who've given us problems with their direct play and physical strikers, although Deeney and Ighalo were surprisingly inaccurate in their shooting last week. 

Bournemouth and Southampton should be this week's recipients of an automatic three points against Sunderland and Hull, giving them both a nice lift if Leicester (Schmeichel is injured), Watford or Utd fail to win. 

25 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Liverpool host Watford, another team who've given us problems with their direct play and physical strikers, although Deeney and Ighalo were surprisingly inaccurate in their shooting last week.

Ighalo's been really poor for ages. If Isaac Success wasn't injured I'm sure he'd have replaced him by now.

Deeney's played his way back into form a little after a rough start, but he's never been the world's most consistent finisher, his strength is in his all-round play. At this level, he needs a good partner to be really effective.

Southampton will play Hull off the park but they might not actually win. The more I watch them (and I've wound up seeing quite a few of their games this season) the more I think that if they had a striker of the level of, say, a Benteke they'd be close to, if not with, the top five. They had a difficult start and I thought Pouel was looking a likely name for manager roulette but in the last few weeks Southampton have outplayed, for large portions at least and most cases most of the game, City, Chelsea, Leicester and Inter twice, yet they've only got one win and two draws out of those games. A good keeping performance or one sneaky counter and Southampton could be in trouble.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team where I thought just one decent buy could elevate them so much.

Burnley/Palace was a cracker. Could easily have ended 3-3 as Townsend hit the post just after Burnley scored their third. One of the best games of the season. West Ham/Stoke was a bore. Disappointing result for the Hammers especially considering their tough run of fixtures coming up.

ETA. Looks like Chelsea are going top. Everton have been poor but Stekelenburg could have done alot better on both goals.

12 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

ETA. Looks like Chelsea are going top. Everton have been poor but Stekelenburg could have done alot better on both goals.

Yea for sure. Stekelenburg was bad though the first goal, he was definitely impeded by an offside player. The second was just poor.

Archived