US Elections - furniture shopping with disaster

all swedes are racist

Also: at this point I totally buy the conspiracy theory from the people who did a biography on Trump that he's essentially praying for Putin/Wikileaks to ride in and save him, which is why he won't go against the man.

I see no other real political benefit to ever uttering the words "our country has no idea" when faced with the accusation that Putin is rigging an election. Fuck, I see no real reason to come back to Putin after dismissing Hillary's dodge. 

He's begging for help from daddy.

23 minutes ago, Mexal said:

And that makes sense because of the people you surround yourself around. But if you look across the country, it's quite different and there are enough studies to show that.

I'm curious as to how you see how this industry  which is quite large, is because of the people I surround myself with.

Are you suggesting I give up a 26 year well paying career because they are Trump supporters?  Are you saying I choose who my managers and competitors hire?

Because I can absolutely guarantee you I wish there were more women and minorities in my industry.  I fully believe this industry would be better off if there were.  I also absolutely guarantee you that I do not enjoy being one of three women at a conference, or too many times the only woman at a work function.

And my original comment referred to people all across the country, many of which work for large international companies, which tend to be headquartered in cities I don't live in..  So I'm not quite sure how that is people I am surrounding myself around.

Some points about Trump voters and demographics:

At least among Whites, Trump voters tend to be older. There is a confound between age and having a college degree -- people now over 60 grew up during a time when it was less necessary to have a Bachelors degree to obtain a well-paying job.

I often wonder when i see that in polling Trump voters don't feel worried about their own economic circumstances whether or not the pollsters have asked about how they see the economic circumstances of their children and grandchildren in the future. I think a lot of the fears of Trump voters over immigration and the advancement of minorities is because they are fearful for the future of their descendants, not themselves.

And of course another factor in regard to college education is what one majored in and the "industry" one is in. It doesn't surprise me that male chemists with college degrees who are employed outside of academia are a group with a high level of support for Trump. I have seen in past Presidential election years statistics on the stated occupation of donors to Republican and Democratic candidates -- in the past, accountants have skewed strongly toward the Republicans and librarians have skewed well over 90% to the Democrats. I would expect there to be similar big differences this year between exact occupations (though the skews might not be quite the same as in the past,). 

Anecdotally, since I am a male employed in a chemical company, I should note that Trumpism has not broken out among many of my colleagues.

Then again, IMO we are a fairly progressive company active in LGBT rights and outreach for women/minorities. Some of that culture might be permeating through the ranks.

43 minutes ago, Maya Mia said:

I'm curious as to how you see how this industry  which is quite large, is because of the people I surround myself with.

Are you suggesting I give up a 26 year well paying career because they are Trump supporters?  Are you saying I choose who my managers and competitors hire?

Because I can absolutely guarantee you I wish there were more women and minorities in my industry.  I fully believe this industry would be better off if there were.  I also absolutely guarantee you that I do not enjoy being one of three women at a conference, or too many times the only woman at a work function.

And my original comment referred to people all across the country, many of which work for large international companies, which tend to be headquartered in cities I don't live in..  So I'm not quite sure how that is people I am surrounding myself around.

No, I'm not suggesting you give up a well paying career because there are Trump supporters or saying you choose your managers or your competitors. I'm saying your comments are entirely based on anecdotal evidence that isn't representative of the country as a whole. When you see statements that say Trump's base is uneducated white men, it doesn't mean that everyone who supports him is uneducated or white men, but that polls conducted across the country suggest that is a large portion of his followers, to the point where that's the only demographic where he has a clear, distinguishable advantage over Clinton.

Every day I check the early voting stats, and somehow it just makes me happy.  Elections are exciting, and thinking of all those people casting votes makes me smile.  Florida has already had 800,000 votes cast!  That's great!  Like every year, I'm hoping for a good turnout. 

Democracy isn't perfect, but it certainly has it's moments. 

32 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Anecdotally, since I am a male employed in a chemical company, I should note that Trumpism has not broken out among many of my colleagues.

That reminds me, a friend sent me an editorial from the local conservative paper in the chemical company town he grew up in on why they are not endorsing Trump and what their position is instead. Somebody should send a copy to Paul Ryan.

19 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

That reminds me, a friend sent me an editorial from the local conservative paper in the chemical company town he grew up in on why they are not endorsing Trump and what their position is instead. Somebody should send a copy to Paul Ryan.

There are so many newspapers who have not endorsed a Democrat in decades who are choosing Clinton over Trump. Is there any daily newspaper in the USA that has endorsed Trump?

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

There are so many newspapers who have not endorsed a Democrat in decades who are choosing Clinton over Trump. Is there any daily newspaper in the USA that has endorsed Trump?

Only a couple that I can find, none major. Truly was not aware it's a near shut-out. What a weird election.

OMG.  I was hoping to acquit myself of this mess today, but I went to the courthouse and the line was around the building three times and out the door.  More local polls open up next week, so I'll go then.  It was crazy man.  It looked exactly like it did for early voting back in 2008.  I think (from my anecdota) that NC is going for HRC.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

This guy is insane. We know this but jesus.

OMG.  I mean, it's obvious that this man has never prepared for a job interview or an exam, but he knows that it's POSSIBLE, right????

After hee-hawing my way through the debate last night with the help of some of you fine people, I watched 30 Rock.  It happened to be season two and I caught Jack's, "Make this country great again" speech.  I lost my shit.  Hilarious.

http://crooksandliars.com/2016/05/watch-donald-trump-based-campaign-season-2

Can.  Not.  Make.  This.  Up.

This morning we had a Nasty Women roll call in the office.  Are we there yet?

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/the-fight-partys-future-gop-voters-turn-paul-ryan

Now, however, Trump has made Ryan out to be an enemy to the conservative cause; prominent far-right activists are accusing him of being involved in conspiracies against the GOP; and leading voices in Republican media have labeled Ryan a “saboteur” who needs to be replaced on Capitol Hill.

Paul Ryan: This month's winner of the "Not Conservative Enough" Award.

Archived