US Elections - furniture shopping with disaster

all swedes are racist

Just now, Guess who's back said:

It's amazing that the same people that supported Sanders are now supporting Clinton

Why is that amazing? Why would anybody that supported Sanders logically support Trump?

26 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Weren't the Trumpkins supposed to have some devastating guest present at the debate last night? Like the Benghazi mom and Obama's Hamas-supporting half-brother were just previews of how nasty this was going to be? If there was, I never heard anything about it. Just another fart in the wind from a desperate and pathetic old bully who projects his own weakness and insecurities on others?

Didn't they bring Bill Clinton's supposed illegitimate son or something?

Say, I'm a Sander's supporter.

Does it make a lick of fuckin sense to support a guy that has Stephen Moore and Larry Kudlow as advisors? No it doesn't.

Just how in fuck do you go from a lefty guy like Sanders to a guy that is supported by Supply Siders?

Anyone?

Bueller?

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Again - Washington and Oregon have 100% vote by mail ballots, and they absolutely love it. Encourage your states to use it. It's cheaper, it results in fairly high turnout, and it's faster to do. It greatly encourages voter turnout amongst those who are busy. 

I voted by mail yesterday in California and it was great!  I voted for candidates and issues I would never have guessed I would be able to vote for since first voting in 1974.  Not just the first woman candidate of a major party this year but to eliminate the death penalty and legalize recreational marijuana?  Gadzooks!    Never thought that would happen, yes, the issues mentioned are just for my state but still.  What year to be voting.  :)

46 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Okay, this is an old gripe of mine. But, I just want to mention it. It's amazing that same people that bitch about Benghazi the most are the same people that refuse to acknowledge George Bush's massive military fuck ups.

Yup. And no one ever remembers the hundreds of Marines that died in Lebanon because Saint Ronald the Whitewashed left them out to dry.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's really the story of Trump's life over the last 25 years or so. He thinks he's doing something brilliant, and his paid stooges surrounding him are reinforcing it while a majority of people are just shaking their heads and calling him a bozo.

Well, he did have Scott Baio and Billy Baldwin there. Poor Donald Trump. He couldn't even get a top-tier Baldwin.

24 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

It's amazing that the same people that supported Sanders are now supporting Clinton

Why? Their policies weren't that different in the primaries, she gave him unprecedented input on the platform committee, and she basically adopted his higher education plan on the debate stage last night. Oh right, and Bernie endorsed her. This is some weak shit concern trolling.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Vox and Nate Silver seem to agree with Kalbear regarding Hillary's debate performances. Looks like she's received significant poll jumps after each debate...

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/19/13340828/hillary-clinton-debate-trump-won?ICID=ref_fark

Hillary needled Trump effectively enough, but I feel like the article slides over providence in order to tie everything together neatly.

The moment set in motion all that came next. It set off the explosive debate about the language Trump uses to talk about women. It was the context for the leaked audio of Trump from 2005. It’s what led Trump to go full Breitbart and try to turn the second debate into a referendum on Bill Clinton’s sexual past — a strategy that top Republicans had warned him against, and that widened the gap between the GOP and its presidential nominee.

No,it wasn't context for the tape, the tape was context for the tape.It needed no introduction. Hillary clearly won the first debate and likely got her biggest surge and was never really behind or close after that...but everything from right before the second debate was tainted by things like the tape or the accusations coming out (assuming Clinton didn't leak them). 

Nor do I feel like Trump's Bill Clinton attack was as stupid as it seems. Like, Hillary seemed clearly skittish to attack him on it during the second debate, cause then Trump would just drag the conversation down to "we both did it", something he can live with while she,as the front-runner, didn't have to. 

Sure, it didn't win him any votes in the long term but...at the time people were talking about him dropping out of the race. It was a matter of survival and keeping some base around him. And it seemed to work. He lived to fight another day, bleeding out but not dead cause Hillary didn't really go for the jugular on that topic.

If the tapes hadn't come out Trump would still be behind by virtue of the first debate most likely, but I do feel like there was something different about them than just Clinton trotting out Alicia Machado with a nice bullseye on her. (for that matter, something she learned after they got lucky with the Khan thing) The tapes affected Republicans, Machado didn't.

24 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

:lmao:

Even in the opening minutes of the debate, you can tell that Trump has been completely unnerved by seeing the Access Hollywood Bus in the front row of the audience. During an impassioned statement about strengthening the border, Trump trailed off mid-sentence and stared directly into the headlights of the bus for nearly 10 seconds before he was able to compose himself and continue. Throughout the debate so far, he’s been shooting rushed glances at the bus, as if he wishes it would just drive out of the auditorium.

1 hour ago, Guess who's back said:

Because Orange Stalin is a traitor to the U.S. and insane and she isn't insane?  And no matter how much wrong doing and / or disagreement a voter such as myself has with her -- and even in the past with her husband -- voters such as myself do not doubt that she's thought through what she thinks and believes, and she really believes it's best for the country -- and that she actually does love and identify with the USA.  Orange Stalin proves with every word that comes out of his mouth his whole life and with every action he has ever taken and advocated in the past and present, that HE DOES NOT HAVE A BIT OF LOYALTY TO THE USA, or to we, the voters.

My wife - who has watched none of the debates - pointed out that even Clinton's outfits were coordinated for the debates - she wore red first, blue second, white third. 

Also like the idea of women wearing white to vote. 

Purely as a hypothesis, I wonder if Hillary's post-debate poll-jumps are people's reaction to actually seeing her in action, rather than the received wisdom that has been doing the rounds for the past 25 years.

As in, "everyone knows Hillary is a corrupt corporate monster who lies about everything... oh wait, she doesn't seem as bad as I thought."

On a long drive today I was able to listen to a NPR program that talked to two different groups of debate watchers in Las Vegas.  Both groups were watching in pubs and they talked to the pro Trump group first.  It was what one would expect; felt his candidate did great, really felt Trump made his case and showed up Hilary ect.; ect. 

Just about what one would expect from a supporter of either candidate really.  The gentleman interviewed was some type of low level official for the local GOP party (IIRC) and then he said, paraphrasing, 'that Trump would win because of all the voters who were secretly for him, but claiming to support someone else would vote for him on Nov. 8 and Trump would cruise to victory!'

I was stunned!  Thinking 'really? really?' there are folks who really believe this weak sauce of a way for Trump to win?  Really?  Wow, what a fantasy world the speaker has built up. 

Just now, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Purely as a hypothesis, I wonder if Hillary's post-debate poll-jumps are people's reaction to actually seeing her in action, rather than the received wisdom that has been doing the rounds for the past 25 years.

As in, "everyone knows Hillary is a corrupt corporate monster who lies about everything... oh wait, she doesn't seem as bad as I thought."

There's some reasonable wisdom to this. 

The main places that Clinton has jumped in polling have been after her 30-minute takedown of Trump in...May, I think? Then the DNC, then each debate (at least so far). In each case she was publicly available, gave long speeches, and was in general in pretty good form. Most of her negative stuff has come from small releases that weren't big public things - the basket of deplorables, the sickness thing, etc. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

There's some reasonable wisdom to this. 

The main places that Clinton has jumped in polling have been after her 30-minute takedown of Trump in...May, I think? Then the DNC, then each debate (at least so far). In each case she was publicly available, gave long speeches, and was in general in pretty good form. Most of her negative stuff has come from small releases that weren't big public things - the basket of deplorables, the sickness thing, etc. 

I've always felt nobody could match her on policy, and she does best when laying out her talking points like a professor in front of her class. That's what I thought she was best at last night, going point by point through the material, whether it was policy or listing Trump's failures.

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Just about what one would expect from a supporter of either candidate really.  The gentleman interviewed was some type of low level official for the local GOP party (IIRC) and then he said, paraphrasing, 'that Trump would win because of all the voters who were secretly for him, but claiming to support someone else would vote for him on Nov. 8 and Trump would cruise to victory!'

I was stunned!  Thinking 'really? really?' there are folks who really believe this weak sauce of a way for Trump to win?  Really?  Wow, what a fantasy world the speaker has built up. 

Remember about 50% of Trump supporters think that government data is doctored in order to make conservatives and Republicans look bad.

They don't believe in polls. They don't believe in any empirical evidence that might challenge their views.

Just one more example of why the Republican Party is a dumpster fire.

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Remember about 50% of Trump supporters think that government data is doctored in order to make conservatives and Republicans look bad.

They don't believe in polls. They don't believe in any empirical evidence that might challenge their views.

Just one more example of why the Republican Party is a dumpster fire.

It's the party of Feels over Facts. And its' Feels are hurt.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Also, in case you had any considerations for Stein...she's giving interviews to InfoWars. Yes...InfoWars. 

Sooo, she's endorsing Trump? I mean she has zero chance of becoming president so she must be saying Trump is the better option.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's the party of Feels over Facts. And its' Feels are hurt.

Yeah, I think this is extremely interesting. Cause how many times have you heard some old Republican  guy explain how he was liberal when he was younger, but then as he came to understand how the "real world" worked, as he got older, he became conservative.

Hmm.

16 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I've always felt nobody could match her on policy, and she does best when laying out her talking points like a professor in front of her class. That's what I thought she was best at last night, going point by point through the material, whether it was policy or listing Trump's failures.

That was a particular talent of Bill's too. He could talk about policy in a way that engaged the viewer/listener. Speaking in words that non-policy wonks can understand, but not condescending or talking down to the public. It's not easy to do.

Archived