NFL 2016 Week 7: Nobody's Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I thought you were just the images guy, Manhole. You can do words, too? I might have to reconsider my non-sexual crush exclusion on Jaime. 

Rock, appreciate the answer. So you think Suh was dealt with just because his stuff was so extreme, or generated so much attention,mor the union washed their hands on him?

7 hours ago, James Arryn said:

I thought you were just the images guy, Manhole. You can do words, too? I might have to reconsider my non-sexual crush exclusion on Jaime. 

Rock, appreciate the answer. So you think Suh was dealt with just because his stuff was so extreme, or generated so much attention,mor the union washed their hands on him?

Hasn't Burfict been suspended more than Suh? I think he's even been fined more than Suh while making significantly less money. From what I remember, Suh was only suspended for 2 games.

I have been enjoying the hell out of the Redskins 4 game win streak.  This last win over the Eagles was the first of the four that we significantly outplayed the other team, so that was even better.  Keeping expectations reasonable, just enjoying the ride. 

The past two games our defense has looked not just competent but actually good.  Pressuring the quarterback, mixing up looks, holding on third down.  You know, just like a good defense does.  Weirdly, the defense also hasn't gotten any turnovers either game, but hey, I like watching the other team punt, as opposed to having to rely on fluky fumbles to save us.  I think part of the problem the first few weeks was that there were a few guys who just were AWFUL on defense, and that now that those guys have either been cut (Kendall Reyes), placed on IR (David Bruton), or relegated to smaller roles (Shaun Phillips), the on-field performance is significantly improved.  I suppose that's as good an explanation as any for how we've improved so much defensively.  Although it also helps not to have to play the Steelers and Cowboys offense every week.  

Offensively, man, am I allowed to continue to bitch about Matt Jones?  He is the worst.  Yes, he had awesome numbers this week, (16 rushes for 135 yards and a touchdown), but that is mostly on the O-line.  He had what I would consider the worst 15 yard run I have ever seen in the NFL.  The play was to run left, and the O line opened up a HUGE hole.  He runs through it and is untouched for the first twelve yards.  Then, before the safety is even in the picture, he slows down and attempts a juke move which never works, takes a step sideways and is tackled.  So many times he forgets to JUST KEEP RUNNING.  If he doesn't slow down either he is tackled going forward, gaining 5 more yards, or he breaks the tackle and scores a touchdown.  He is a 220 lb back who thinks he's the next Darren Sproles. I have never seen such a big running back play with so little power.  And on top of that, Jones also has fumbling problems, and is still missing holes a lot of the time. Rob Kelly clearly outplayed him (5 carries, 59 yards) because he actually broke tackles and got yards the O line didn't gift him. 

The rest of the offense is really coming along.  The O line is looking better and better, Trent Williams is a straight up monster, we have plenty of downfield weapons such that even without a talent like Reed we can carve up a good Philly defense.  Aside from two bonehead throws from Cousins (one pick six, one defended by the WR), it was an amazing game offensively.  Watching that O line dominate is a true pleasure.

Words cannot describe the terror I was feeling at the start of the 4th quarter of Monday night's game.

I'll give you this Jace. You, through the power of the dark side, have managed to turn the hands down worst draft into the best team in B League. 

It's about family with the Ruby Ford Rejects. A team is as weak as its most disappointing Superbowl loser, and you have many...

12 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Watch your back, Manhole! 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I have been enjoying the hell out of the Redskins 4 game win streak.  This last win over the Eagles was the first of the four that we significantly outplayed the other team, so that was even better.  Keeping expectations reasonable, just enjoying the ride. 

The past two games our defense has looked not just competent but actually good.  Pressuring the quarterback, mixing up looks, holding on third down.  You know, just like a good defense does.  Weirdly, the defense also hasn't gotten any turnovers either game, but hey, I like watching the other team punt, as opposed to having to rely on fluky fumbles to save us.  I think part of the problem the first few weeks was that there were a few guys who just were AWFUL on defense, and that now that those guys have either been cut (Kendall Reyes), placed on IR (David Bruton), or relegated to smaller roles (Shaun Phillips), the on-field performance is significantly improved.  I suppose that's as good an explanation as any for how we've improved so much defensively.  Although it also helps not to have to play the Steelers and Cowboys offense every week.  

Offensively, man, am I allowed to continue to bitch about Matt Jones?  He is the worst.  Yes, he had awesome numbers this week, (16 rushes for 135 yards and a touchdown), but that is mostly on the O-line.  He had what I would consider the worst 15 yard run I have ever seen in the NFL.  The play was to run left, and the O line opened up a HUGE hole.  He runs through it and is untouched for the first twelve yards.  Then, before the safety is even in the picture, he slows down and attempts a juke move which never works, takes a step sideways and is tackled.  So many times he forgets to JUST KEEP RUNNING.  If he doesn't slow down either he is tackled going forward, gaining 5 more yards, or he breaks the tackle and scores a touchdown.  He is a 220 lb back who thinks he's the next Darren Sproles. I have never seen such a big running back play with so little power.  And on top of that, Jones also has fumbling problems, and is still missing holes a lot of the time. Rob Kelly clearly outplayed him (5 carries, 59 yards) because he actually broke tackles and got yards the O line didn't gift him. 

The rest of the offense is really coming along.  The O line is looking better and better, Trent Williams is a straight up monster, we have plenty of downfield weapons such that even without a talent like Reed we can carve up a good Philly defense.  Aside from two bonehead throws from Cousins (one pick six, one defended by the WR), it was an amazing game offensively.  Watching that O line dominate is a true pleasure.

Yeah also think our team gets more dynamic when Chris Thompson lines up in the backfield (except when they bizarrely put him in as our goalline back - McVay and Gruden are great offensive minds until they go autistic inside the 5). Never thought I'd be saying this but kinda like what's brewing at RB. But yes, Rob Kelley's 50 yard run was the most impressive of the day. That was blocked to get 2. Seems like he's literally gotten his feet under him in the NFL- and the way he cuts is more decisive than Jones. My biggest issue with Rob is that he has the same hair as Matt Jones so I can't tell instantly who's in the game. And both have been dragged down by it in the most painful fashion imaginable. 

The O-line is probably the best unit on this team - Bill Callahan is fantastic.  And the passcatchers are second. Also wonder if the running game was so good last week because VD was the TE full time instead of Jordan Reed. 

Hopefully the D keeps up it's shocking improvement. Even Joe Barry looks less confused on the sidelines. Ryan Kerrigan apparently hates Carson Wentz more than you or I hate anything in this world. 

I hope fair weather fan Joe House continues to pick against them as he's always wrong. And yet now that people are starting to believe watch them have a let down in Detroit...

22 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah also think our team gets more dynamic when Chris Thompson lines up in the backfield (except when they bizarrely put him in as our goalline back - McVay and Gruden are great offensive minds until they go autistic inside the 5). Never thought I'd be saying this but kinda like what's brewing at RB. But yes, Rob Kelley's 50 yard run was the most impressive of the day. That was blocked to get 2. Seems like he's literally gotten his feet under him in the NFL- and the way he cuts is more decisive than Jones. My biggest issue with Rob is that he has the same hair as Matt Jones so I can't tell instantly who's in the game. And both have been dragged down by it in the most painful fashion imaginable. 

The O-line is probably the best unit on this team - Bill Callahan is fantastic.  And the passcatchers are second. Also wonder if the running game was so good last week because VD was the TE full time instead of Jordan Reed. 

Hopefully the D keeps up it's shocking improvement. Even Joe Barry looks less confused on the sidelines. Ryan Kerrigan apparently hates Carson Wentz more than you or I hate anything in this world. 

I'll admit that from what I've seen thus far I am a Rob Kelley fan.  He runs hard and his a nice mix of speed, agility and power.  Watching him run, he is doing exactly what I keep yelling at Matt Jones to do.  His pass pro has been good for a rookie, although I don't know if he can catch or run routes.  Definitely want to see more of him.

Having dreadlocks if you are a running back is just straight up stupid.  I have no idea why two different runners would want to give defenses an incredibly painful thing to grab on to when tackling them.  I think there is a real chance that Kelly scores a td on that one run if he didn't have dreadlocks.  At the very least it's a horsecollar and 15 more yards. 

Vernon Davis blocking helped some, but the whole O line was kicking ass.  Hell, even Garcon and Crowder were getting in on the action (not DJax, but whatever).  It is really weird that our running game came alive against Philly, who were one of the league's best against the run.  Really hoping we keep that going against Detroit.

I hope fair weather fan Joe House continues to pick against them as he's always wrong. And yet now that people are starting to believe watch them have a let down in Detroit...

The Detroit game is definitely a toss-up. Road games are tough, and Detroit is a very average team.  Detroit's defense is really poor, but their offense has been putting up great numbers.  The interesting thing is that they are not actually a very good running team (bottom third in both yards and yards/rush), but their passing game is legit.  I'll admit I'm less scared of that than I am about an elite running team with strong complementary passing.  I'm glad Breeland is back.  If our pass rush continues to show up like it did against Baltimore and Philly, I like our chances.  Detroit has already given up 15 sacks in six games (tied for 6th most in the league), so obviously it can be done.  

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Detroit game is definitely a toss-up. Road games are tough, and Detroit is a very average team.  Detroit's defense is really poor, but their offense has been putting up great numbers.  The interesting thing is that they are not actually a very good running team (bottom third in both yards and yards/rush), but their passing game is legit.  I'll admit I'm less scared of that than I am about an elite running team with strong complementary passing.  I'm glad Breeland is back.  If our pass rush continues to show up like it did against Baltimore and Philly, I like our chances.  Detroit has already given up 15 sacks in six games (tied for 6th most in the league), so obviously it can be done.  

Agreed it's closer to a 50/50 than I would like but if this team is a legit playoff contender it's a game they win. I haven't watched a lot of Lions football this year outside of noting they've played everyone tough - but apparently they have the worst defensive DVOA in the league. Hopefully things come easy for the Captain? 

And the next 7 weeks after Detroit are all brutally tough. FO has us with the 4th toughest schedule the rest of the way. Gotta gather up the acorns now, because winter is coming. 

9 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

And the next 7 weeks after Detroit are all brutally tough. FO has us with the 4th toughest schedule the rest of the way. Gotta gather up the acorns now, because winter is coming. 

Yeah, it is hard to imagine us making the playoffs if we can't beat the Lions.  The stretch after that of Bengals (in London), Vikings, Packers, @Dallas, @Arizona, @Philly is really tough.  On the plus side, at least the Panthers game is looking a lot more winnable?  Although Cam Newton always kills us.  So the final stretch of Panthers, Bears, Giants looks pretty fine, it's just this six game patch coming up.

14 minutes ago, sperry said:

I am not impressed with Matt Jones either. Really have no idea why they got rid of Alfred Morris.

Morris was missing holes a lot last year.  He also wasn't breaking nearly as many tackles as he had earlier in his career.  It was speculated that he was hurt, but he was such a good soldier he never let that on.  I don't know.  But Morris in 2015 (and the first half of 2014 too) was a very unimpressive runner.  Even if you throw out the 2012 dream season, if Morris had continued to show up like he did in 2013, he would still be in DC, and a much richer man to boot. 

4 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Haven't watched the Skins except for the Eagles game. Not sure if you should take the Eagles as a bell-weather for your defense. The Eagles O-Line looked horrific without Lane Johnson. Astonishingly bad. And your best guy seemed to be lined up on our confused guy, which did not help.

Redskins O-Line looked very good, and I did not see anything in the preseason that made me think that might be the case. Interesting that the Skins and the Cowboys might have elite O-lines, does not bode well for the Eagles for the immediate future.

1 minute ago, SerPaladin said:

Haven't watched the Skins except for the Eagles game. Not sure if you should take the Eagles as a bell-weather for your defense. The Eagles O-Line looked horrific without Lane Johnson. Astonishingly bad. And your best guy seemed to be lined up on our confused guy, which did not help.

Redskins O-Line looked very good, and I did not see anything in the preseason that made me think that might be the case. Interesting that the Skins and the Cowboys might have elite O-lines, does not bode well for the Eagles for the immediate future.

Yeah, I forget the name of the backup Eagles RT but he couldn't have been worse. Kerrigan hasn't been great this season but facing that guy got him back on track in terms of usual sack pace. Pray for Wentz if that RT is suiting up again against the Vikings.

Redskins O-line was a great pass blocking line last year and have been again this year. Successful run blocking is new - hopefully it's a result of it starting to click for the young guys Scherff/Moses. 

32 minutes ago, SerPaladin said:

Kerrigan was the most disruptive, but he only got 2 of the 5 sacks on Sunday.  There was a lot more going wrong than just the right tackle. 

The success of the running game was completely out of left field.  In previous games Matt Jones kept missing the holes and just running into the back of whichever O lineman he felt like.  Against Philly, the holes were often so big no runner could possibly miss them.  The result was a really big day on the ground.  I'm really hoping Detroit gets a hefty portion of the running game, keep Stafford off the field. 

What do y'all think about the NFL's stance on PED's unknowingly consumed.  It feels wrong to me to punish a guy for eating too much foreign beef if travelling the world, or consuming some because of an entirely unregulated supplement industry.  Personally, I feel for Johnson, and think the 10 game suspension is ridiculous if he was able to prove it came from a protein supplement he consumes which was on the NFL(PA?) approved list (which is my understanding of the facts). This is coming from someone who thinks the Eagles need to just be swallowed by a giant sinkhole. 

7 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

What do y'all think about the NFL's stance on PED's unknowingly consumed.  It feels wrong to me to punish a guy for eating too much foreign beef if travelling the world, or consuming some because of an entirely unregulated supplement industry.  Personally, I feel for Johnson, and think the 10 game suspension is ridiculous if he was able to prove it came from a protein supplement he consumes which was on the NFL(PA?) approved list (which is my understanding of the facts). This is coming from someone who thinks the Eagles need to just be swallowed by a giant sinkhole. 

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I more or less assume that anyone who is found guilty of taking PEDs took them knowingly.  While it is possible that it was just an honest misunderstanding, I think it is a lot more likely that they are just saying that because they got caught.  This goes double for repeat offenders, and this is Johnson's second positive PED test in just four years in the league. 

But for the record, I don't know any details about Johnson's particular case. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I more or less assume that anyone who is found guilty of taking PEDs took them knowingly.  While it is possible that it was just an honest misunderstanding, I think it is a lot more likely that they are just saying that because they got caught.  This goes double for repeat offenders, and this is Johnson's second positive PED test in just four years in the league. 

But for the record, I don't know any details about Johnson's particular case. 

The thing that gets me is Johnson's first was something similar where he didn't check a supplement he was taking.  He owned up to that one and took it like a man because he knew he didn't do his due diligence.  Lends credence in my mind to the him not knowingly taking the second one. 

Archived