NFL 2016 Week 7: Nobody's Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

I'm glad the Jets are terrible this year. With that incentive out of the way, I don't feel any urge to watch any NFL games this season. The league office is terrible and the players are destroying themselves; its not something that should be supported any longer.

And I don't seem to be alone in not feeling like watching anymore. NFL ratings are down 11% from last season. I'm sure some of that is because too many star players either have retired or are playing poorly and some of it is for anger over the national anthem stuff; but whatever the reasons, I think its a good thing that people are tuning out.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's worse than the Ray Rice thing on a lot of levels. 

• Josh Brown had a history of DV
  • Josh Brown admitted this
  • Brown's wife was taken to another hotel room BY THE NFL
  • Mara admits he knew all of this
  • Mara signed him AFTER HE FOUND THIS OUT
  • The NFL suspended Brown one game because they were hiding the reason for it - DV
  • AND IT'S FUCKING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH

Seriously, the NFL knew that Brown did this, helped his wife escape him, reported on it and then covered it up so that he only got a one-game suspension. 

Fuck them. Fuck the Giants players sticking behind Brown too. 

The three things bolded are what are mind boggling to me. Mara says in the piece I read that the incident was disturbing, when they had to move his wife, and yet he signs him to a contract after that? Seriously wtf! I would be prouder of my team if they sucked as bad as the factory of sadness, but did it the right way and cut players like this. I could at least know that they understand that some things are more important than winning.

Also, I think this is why I am liking college football more. Of course as I type this I remember I just read about Louisville paying prostitutes to have sex with recruits so yeah...maybe Madden football seasons will be what I watch next year?

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm glad the Jets are terrible this year. With that incentive out of the way, I don't feel any urge to watch any NFL games this season. The league office is terrible and the players are destroying themselves; its not something that should be supported any longer.

And I don't seem to be alone in not feeling like watching anymore. NFL ratings are down 11% from last season. I'm sure some of that is because too many star players either have retired or are playing poorly and some of it is for anger over the national anthem stuff; but whatever the reasons, I think its a good thing that people are tuning out.

I'm certainly watching less. Last season and this season, since Baby Dante has been mobile and I don't want him watching football, I hardly ever watch games in real time. I DVR the Pats game and watch it later, fast forwarding through a lot of it. It's rare for me to watch any other games. I barely pay attention to the primetime games. My evening hours are precious.

I've decided I need to treat the NFL like I did cigarettes: a beloved part of a different life that doesn't fit in the life I want for my family. A gross and harmful addiction to quit over time. Baby Dante loves baseball and runs around the house swinging his arms like he's batting, yelling "Besbool! Besbool!" He's so active I suspect he'll need sports to burn up his energy when he's older, and I'd be fine with him taking up baseball. If he wants basketball or soccer, fine. But never football.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

And seriously, he's a fucking kicker. 

They protected a kicker.

This is the mind-boggling thing, and what I said at the time they announced the 1 game suspension. Risk-Reward was way out of line. Ray Rice was a marketable star. This piece of shit is a FUCKING KICKER.

I'm so done with the NFL and ESPN. I'll continue to watch the Pats games but that is it. Brady gets a 4 game suspension for something that never happened and Goodell continues to allow these thugs to beat the shit out of their wives. I'm so done until that douche bag is gone. I'll never watch ESPN again either. Fuck those guys. 

Other than that I don't have any strong opinions. 

Roger Goodell thinks fans are too dumb to understand how the league handles their wildly inconsistent penalties and attempts to sweep domestic violence under the rug, and they were really trying hard to investigate Josh Brown, but darn that uncooperative law enforcement:

Conway: The criticism that comes back to you is that people see punishments for touchdown celebrations but then only one game for a domestic violence incident. It must be very difficult to balance those things and explain them?

Goodell: They are. I understand the public’s misunderstanding of those things and how that can be difficult for them to understand how we get to those positions. But those are things that we have to do. I think it’s a lot deeper and a lot more complicated than it appears but it gets a lot of focus.

Conway: Lots of positives but it has also been a tumultuous year in terms of the issues the NFL have had to deal with and I know this week with Josh Brown, that’s another thing that has come back as an issue, that’s perhaps overshadowing this weekend in terms of how the League deals with domestic violence. Are you happy in terms of Josh Brown with the investigation that was carried out and the one game punishment that was given to him?

Goodell: Well you have to go and get the facts. We have asked repeatedly for those facts and the information that’s been gathered by law enforcement both orally and in writing. And we weren’t able to get access to it. So you have to make decisions on whatever information you have. We take this issue incredibly seriously. This is something we’ve been working on with policy changes, to educating our players to make sure they understand how they deal with issues with their family, give them resources to be able to deal with this. But when it happens we’re not going to tolerate it. So we have some new information here, we’ll evaluate that in the context of our policy and we’ll take it from there.

Also, the sheriff that Goodell tried to blame for their failure to realize Josh Brown was a domestic abuser says Goodell is a moron and an asshole and his investigators are morons too:

Urquhart said the first contact following Brown’s arrest in May 2015 came from a “goofus” named Robert Agnew, using a generic Comcast email address and listing a post office box in the sleepy suburb of Woodinville as his address.

“‘NFL, National Football League,’ he could have [said] any of that,” Urquhart said Thursday on KIRO 97.3 FM radio in Seattle, according to ESPN. “We had no idea who this yokel is.

“Nowhere on the request does he say that he works for the NFL and so, we don’t know that it’s the NFL and we’re not gonna give it out anyway, so we denied it,” Urquhart added, via Pro Football Talk. “To our discredit, perhaps, we didn’t use the Google, to Google this guy’s name. Turns out that he is a security representative based in Seattle for the NFL. But he never told us that. The NFL never told us that. At no time has the NFL ever filed a written request – public disclosure request – for any of these files. Period. It’s never happened.”

Burn them all down.

2 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Does that 'I earned the right to wear NFL gear' commercial create a snarling dragon monster composed entirely of rage in anyone else's stomach?

No.  I just think they're dumb after the first one.  Although I did suddenly buy my first NFL Jersey last week (going to my first game a month from now).  Sadly, the advice that they tend to run big backfired, so I need to return it.  Think I'll be in the minority showing up to a Cowboys game with a guard's jersey, but the big guys need love too. 

Archived