NFL 2016 Week 7: Nobody's Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Belichick operates on a different dimension from all of us mortals so maybe that's why I don't have foggiest notion what the fuck he's thinking here. 

PFF rates Jamie Collins the 9th best LB in football. The guy is basically a unicorn. Virtually the only LB in football who's equally great at rushing the passer, defending the pass and defending the run. I can't imagine a team he doesn't make better 

Not to mention in a season devoid of great teams, the Patriots are the clear Superbowl favorite this year. With their 39 year old QB who might be the MVP despite missing 4 games. And he's concerned about a 3rd round pick next year?! 

Unless Jamie Collins did something truly heinous, like accessing his team emails on a private server, I'm hanging on to all my elite talent and putting myself in the best position possible for ring #5. 

Of course now watch that third rounder turn into a Gronk level talent and become the critical piece to getting 43 year old Tom Brady a ring in 2020. 

On 10/31/2016 at 7:44 PM, Jaime L said:

Unless Jamie Collins did something truly heinous, like accessing his team emails on a private server, I'm hanging on to all my elite talent and putting myself in the best position possible for ring #5. 

He only uses surface pros. He refused to change.

More likely, Hoodie is doing his selling one year early and this will either be fine because the rest of the league suxxors or it'll make Rockroi rue the day he was traded as he sees whoever replaced him have Reche Caldwell-like eyes and stare as people run past him over and over for scores. 

Nah, I'm sure it'll be fine.

On 10/31/2016 at 8:29 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

How'd Jay play?

From stats...fine? 65% completion rate, no turnovers, okay yards, 100 rating. 

Which is pretty shocking to me given how good the Minnesota defense has been. Guess they didn't have enough film on Cutler and were expecting Hoyer the destroyer.

26 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

More likely, Hoodie is doing his selling one year early and this will either be fine because the rest of the league suxxors or it'll make Rockroi rue the day he was traded as he sees whoever replaced him have Reche Caldwell-like eyes and stare as people run past him over and over for scores. 

Nah, I'm sure it'll be fine.

But he doesn't have to sell early; that's my major problem here.  He could have kept Collins for the rest of the season, a contract season where he would want to play hard so that he gets "von Miller money" next season from some team willing to forget he's clearly not von Miller.  He does not need to sell him a year early or hold onto him for a year late; he only needs to hold onto him for 8 to 11 more games.  

I kinda get the compensatory pick theory; if, during the off-season, the Pats take in more players that require compensatory picks than they lose, they may not get ANY compensatory pick from losing Collins.  Noted.  

But you know what you DEFINITELY lose by trading away Jamie Collins?  Those 8 to 11 games.  Where you need "all hands on deck" on this D which has ... issues.  The Pats D is #3 in points given up (16.5 per game) which is the classic "bend-don't-break" philosophy of the Pats.  In yards per game- not a great metric -they are basically middle-of-the-road (total 14, pass 17, rush 11).  

How does Collins fit into this?  Well, (And I am quoting all these next few stats from memory) apparently when a QB throws to a guy Collins is covering, that QB's passer rating is ~57.6 which means that Collins is great against the pass.  Now against the run?  So, this one is interesting; when the Pats played Buffalo, Collins played only ~45 of the 68 plays on D; for nearly ALL the plays Collins was taken out was when Buffalo went into a 2-back set- ie when the Bills were going to run and Collins would have to take on the FB.  Collins had already given up the big run earlier.  I think that you can say that Collins was weakening against the run and that Belichick knew this.  

My problem is ... who cares about the run?  Seriously, the best RB the Pats will face for the remainder of the season is "Who'DaFuck'Cares" (Clemson, 3rd round) because nobody runs anymore.  CJ Anderson is on IR, Le'Veon Bell is going to go on IR so not sure why I would care in the playoffs.  If Collins is bad against the run, wouldn't somebody else step up?  The last great RB the Pats faced in the playoffs was Marshawn Lynch.  He got over 100 yards.  It. Didn't. Matter.  I'm just saying that the Pats can manage against really good running backs. 

If Collins is THAT good against the Pass... I just feel like that's a mistake.  

Now... In that same Superbowl, the Seahawks started on their own 20 with ~2 min left to play.  The first play from scrimmage was a wheel route to ... Marshawn Lynch for nearly 30 yards.  Who was covering him?  Jamie Collins!  

Its possible that I am overreacting to this; that this is a trade that should have been done; that by exiling Collins to Cleveland Belichick is doing more than getting a 3rd round pick- he is once again solidifying his Alpha-Dragon status, looking at Sheard, Hightower, Solder and anyone else - "Think we 'need' you?  We. Don't."  And that's defiantly a good thing in this context.  But . . .

But the only real way I can sleep at night with this trade is that for the next 8-11 games I know that Jamie Collins' impact on those games would have been trending towards "low" which - by knowing Collins' stats, his impact, athleticism, and impact on this D - is a hard pill to swallow.  

Because right now I think the major reason Collins was traded was because his demands were what was hard for Belichick to swallow.  

28 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

How'd Jay play?

There were a couple of bad throws that could/should have been picks. Other than that, he played really well.  He seemed to really be aware of his body language and attitude for once though. More so than in the rest of his time with the team. It was nice to see him back overall. 

From my fantasy forum, apparently Collins was saying he wanted "Von Miller money" on his contract.  If BB knew he had no chance in hell of resigning him, I can see trying to get a day 1 contributor (3rd rounder) next year by sacrificing half a season of Collins if he believes he has the depth. 

7 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

From my fantasy forum, apparently Collins was saying he wanted "Von Miller money" on his contract.  If BB knew he had no chance in hell of resigning him, I can see trying to get a day 1 contributor (3rd rounder) next year by sacrificing half a season of Collins if he believes he has the depth. 

But do the Pats have that Depth?  The Pats have been trying to find athletic LBs all season.  First, they signed Mingo who had been cut from (you guessed it) Cleveland; last week, the Past traded for under-performing Lions LB Kyle Van Noy; they have been impressed with Roberts who had been eating into Collins' reps.  And Donte Hightower is one of the best LBs in the NFL.  But Mingo is REALLY small; if you think he can improve the Pats' D versus the run (as opposed to Collins) that's not going to happen.  Robert's is a rookie who other teams will learn, in due time, how to play against.  Van Noy is a Lions reject.  Hightower is not now nor has he ever been a pass rusher (that was something Collins could do).  None of these guys are very good versus the pass.  

Look, here is something I have to ask: Are the Patriots as good or better today than they were on Sunday?  

There is no reasonable person who can answer that question in the affirmative.  

10 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Jesus Tywin. You're a fucking jinx. What the hell is going on here?

Injuries. 

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

SIIXXXXX GAMMMMES

Nope. Show me a team that could survive this:

QB1: Out for the year

RB1: Likely out for the year

RB2: Missed multiple games

WR1: Missed multiple games

TE1: Missed multiple games

TE2: Out for the year

RT1: Forced to retire

RT2: Out for the year

LT1: Out for the year

LT2: Out for the year

22 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I just mean this kind of seems like a power move on The Hoodie's part. You don't want to play ball with us in terms of a reasonable contract? I can ship you off to The Factory of Sadness mid-season. On top of that, this doesn't make a lick of sense for the Browns, does it? 

It makes sense for the Browns if you look at the next 8 games as a try out. If they like what they see and he fits in their system, you try to sign him at the end of the season. If he doesn't, then maybe Cleveland saved themselves from a big money free agent mistake and he walks. Cleveland has a lot of picks IIRC so it shouldn't hurt them much, plus they suck at drafting anyway. 

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

It makes sense for the Browns if you look at the next 8 games as a try out. If they like what they see and he fits in their system, you try to sign him at the end of the season. If he doesn't, then maybe Cleveland saved themselves from a big money free agent mistake and he walks. Cleveland has a lot of picks IIRC so it shouldn't hurt them much, plus they suck at drafting anyway. 

Also remember that Cleveland gets that exclusivity window to negotiate with Collins before anyone else can (officially anyway) after the season is over but before the free-agent season begins.  

I actually think this deal makes a lot of sense for the Browns because they get a guy for ... nothing.  Or next to nothing; they give up a compensatory pick that doesn't matter to them- its not really even theirs.  They pick up a huge player who is going to play with something to prove/a chip on his shoulder and could be a center-peice of their new D.  

18 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Good Ole Boy loves having his name in the headlines, but FFS this is getting old. I didn't think a cowboy would beat a dead horse, but apparently I was wrong.

Archived