Which do you prefer? Greyjoys or Hoares? Tyrells or Gardners? Baratheons or Durrandons? Teague or Justman?

The Grey Wolf

Yeah, the  world-book really made me like the Gardners, Durrandons, and Hoares especially. All those Ironborn kings with sobriquets like "demon-lover" and "the soulless" probably got those for being very tolerant while (unlike Harmund III) having the strength to back up their reforms. F*** the drowned priests!

As for the Teagues and Justmans, I don't think its a coincidence that both fell not due to their own faults but rather due to outside interference in their affairs. Honestly, I just wish we got more on kings from the other Riverlands dynasties. Plus, how can anyone not like them considering their origins? One of them was started by a Blackwood-Bracken bastard! (My personal theory is that Benedict I Justman was a Bracken on his mother's side and a Blackwood on his father's but that's pure speculation.)

Anyway, didn't Ran a while back say that some material had to be excised from TWOIAF concerning the 7K, the Dothraki, and Yi Ti? I wonder what those details are... 

Guest jasonothegreat

Personally the Hoares to me were set up to be killed off, like the way they were described, it makes sens for them to be history, while I enjoy the Greyjoys as I find them much more representative of the barren islands they inhabit. The Gardeners are cooler than the Tyrell's in every way, considering they are likely the most ancient house and the Tyrell's are nothing but upjumped stewards. House Durrandon and Baratheon are literally the same, the way i see it there is no real difference. Finally the Justman's are simply superior because of their great Romeo-Juliet beginning 

Greyjoy, Gardener, Justman (I'd choose Mudd if it was an option, Oldstones is one of my favourite locations in Westeros). When it come to Durrandon/Baratheon I also agree that Baratheons as we know them (a.k.a. Stormlords) are essentially as much Durrandons as they are Baratheons, I'm sorry I can't choose, it's my favourite kingdom.

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

QFT.

That is a reason for dislike them. 

What does QFT mean?

And I beg to differ. The whole Romeo-Juilet aspect of Benedict I Justman being a Bracken-Blackwood bastard is what makes him and his dynasty so likeable IMO. Also, just because all the Brackens we know are deliberately unlikeable doesn't mean that there weren't likeable ones historically.

7 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

What does QFT mean?

And I beg to differ. The whole Romeo-Juilet aspect of Benedict I Justman being a Bracken-Blackwood bastard is what makes him and his dynasty so likeable IMO. Also, just because all the Brackens we know are deliberately unlikeable doesn't mean that there weren't likeable ones historically.

I agree there rivals, both have produced great men and monsters for sure. Just like the Boltons and Starks, Tyrells and Florents. 

Justman (Mudd is the best however..), Greyjoy for the Red Kraken and Victarion, Gardener for the three or four great kings they had that assimilated the Andals peacefully, and Baratheons of course for Orys and Robert.

On 2016-10-23 at 6:21 PM, The Grey Wolf said:

What does QFT mean?

True enough. But sadly the World book is kind of filled with Brackens combining the idiot and the asshole traits. :(

• 5 months later...

Hoare/Greyjoy, Gardeners, Durrandon/Baratheon, no idea. In general the old houses are way better, cooler and more robust. The old Storm Kings, for example. I do really like House Durrandon, but at the same time I must show my appreciation for the slight Valyrian streak in House Baratheon, even if it's only visible in Steffon Baratheon having had silvery-white stripes in his nightblack hair and beard.

On 10/23/2016 at 5:21 AM, The Doctor's Consort said:

QFT.

That is a reason for dislike them. 

Martin sure does make the Bracken's look like evil ones in the pairing with Blackwood's.

15 hours ago, Adam Targaryen said:

even if it's only visible in Steffon Baratheon having had silvery-white stripes in his nightblack hair and beard.

I don't recall that.

10 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Martin sure does make the Bracken's look like evil ones in the pairing with Blackwood's.

I hated them since AFFC when Jonos told Jaime how to harm Tytos.

Archived