Sophie Turner was definitely robbed

Emie

Sansa was robbed of her character and storyline when they sent her to Winterfell and Ramsay and made her a pawn of Littlefinger. Sophie Turner did not deserve an Emmy nomination at all in my opinion, I could hardly make sense of any of her looks and gestures in the context she was in, and not even Meryl Streep could have pulled of the scene with Baelish where they both could not make sense of why he gave her to the Boltons in the first place! Then she complained that Jon did not seek her counsel on the battle plans because she could contribute and then when he asked her advice she complained that she knows nothing of barrel strategy well either the writers have lost the plot or the character has?

On 11/1/2016 at 10:42 PM, arabian said:

Yes, yes, yes to Cunningham. So, so brilliant. And also an exultant YES! to the DInklage/dragons comment. I was watching the behind-the-scenes bit on that scene and you see Dinklage acting against a piece of plastic there. I mean, when you watch the scene, the dragons look SO REAL, you can completely feel and understand why and how Tyrion is reacting that way, so openly, so vulnerably as he is. Tyrion is face to face with real-live dragons! It was just amazing and incredible... but damn! To watch Dinklage do parts of that scene against nothing, just a piece of nothing and realize this man was bringing that level of feeling and emotion to something that was solely in his imagination? Dear LORD! Damn straight he deserved that nomination. And we're not even talking about his scenes dealing with all the discussions pre/during/post his deal with the masters, and being made the Hand of the Queen. Dinklage is amazing.

Not mentioned by you, but I'll say it about Maisie Williams. I will argue till I'm red in the face that despite her less than stellar storyline (God, D&D could have done so much more with her Braavos arc if they actually cared just a tenth for Arya of what they do for Sansa), she deserved her nomination. What Williams did with Arya watching the play, viewers being able to see Arya remember Ned being beheaded, that terrible moment and Arya reliving it, just through her facial expression, the look in her eyes. All the work she did as blind Arya, the conversations with Lady Crane, and of course, that final scene with Jaquen and the delivery of the line owning her identity was all perfection.

And the above is all why she deserved the nomination and Sophie Turner did not. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, there were so many times throughout the season when viewers just did not have any clue why Sansa did or said what she did or said. We couldn't get a read on the actress because she wasn't able to convey the emotion through her eyes, through her facial expressions. She just didn't get the intent across to the viewer so the viewer was left all too often to come up with their own interpretation. The same could not be said for Maisie Williams' Arya, we always knew what Arya's state of mind was--even when she was "No one." She was able to show us the layers of "No one" lain over Arya, and we could always see when Arya peeked through, or when the Faceless Men's mentality was on the surface.

That is why the one actress got (and deserved) the nomination, and the other did not.

Exactly.

On 11/3/2016 at 2:54 PM, JonSnow4President said:

Anyone who looks at this show and picks Turner as the actor/actress who got slighted loses all credibility in judging acting in my eyes.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that view is so off what I see, I can't trust that person's critical vision. 

THIS TRUTH RIGHT HERE.

On 11/1/2016 at 10:42 PM, arabian said:

Yes, yes, yes to Cunningham. So, so brilliant. And also an exultant YES! to the DInklage/dragons comment. I was watching the behind-the-scenes bit on that scene and you see Dinklage acting against a piece of plastic there. I mean, when you watch the scene, the dragons look SO REAL, you can completely feel and understand why and how Tyrion is reacting that way, so openly, so vulnerably as he is. Tyrion is face to face with real-live dragons! It was just amazing and incredible... but damn! To watch Dinklage do parts of that scene against nothing, just a piece of nothing and realize this man was bringing that level of feeling and emotion to something that was solely in his imagination? Dear LORD! Damn straight he deserved that nomination. And we're not even talking about his scenes dealing with all the discussions pre/during/post his deal with the masters, and being made the Hand of the Queen. Dinklage is amazing.

Not mentioned by you, but I'll say it about Maisie Williams. I will argue till I'm red in the face that despite her less than stellar storyline (God, D&D could have done so much more with her Braavos arc if they actually cared just a tenth for Arya of what they do for Sansa), she deserved her nomination. What Williams did with Arya watching the play, viewers being able to see Arya remember Ned being beheaded, that terrible moment and Arya reliving it, just through her facial expression, the look in her eyes. All the work she did as blind Arya, the conversations with Lady Crane, and of course, that final scene with Jaquen and the delivery of the line owning her identity was all perfection.

And the above is all why she deserved the nomination and Sophie Turner did not. As has been mentioned several times in this thread, there were so many times throughout the season when viewers just did not have any clue why Sansa did or said what she did or said. We couldn't get a read on the actress because she wasn't able to convey the emotion through her eyes, through her facial expressions. She just didn't get the intent across to the viewer so the viewer was left all too often to come up with their own interpretation. The same could not be said for Maisie Williams' Arya, we always knew what Arya's state of mind was--even when she was "No one." She was able to show us the layers of "No one" lain over Arya, and we could always see when Arya peeked through, or when the Faceless Men's mentality was on the surface.

That is why the one actress got (and deserved) the nomination, and the other did not.

Very well said. Williams is leaps and bounds better than Turner in acting, she's actually much better than even Harington and Clarke. The scene where she buries Needle, her acting while blind....really good.

Turner actually does not have the challenges which Williams and even Harington, Clarke have to face while acting. She doesn't have to act much against props or plastic, doesn't have to speak High Valyrian, no action scenes or being blind, stuff like that. She still does just about an okay job as Sansa.

Dinklage is a very good actor but slightly inconsistent. I think you can see his enthusiasm about shooting a particular scene reflected in his acting.

On 3/11/2016 at 8:54 PM, JonSnow4President said:

Anyone who looks at this show and picks Turner as the actor/actress who got slighted loses all credibility in judging acting in my eyes.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that view is so off what I see, I can't trust that person's critical vision. 

QFT. To me she seems bored and lethargic most of the times.  

On 20/10/2016 at 8:25 PM, JonSnow4President said:

Clarke is worse,

QFT. She seems that her eyebrows do all the acting.

Very well said. Williams is leaps and bounds better than Turner in acting, she's actually much better than even Harington and Clarke. The scene where she buries Needle, her acting while blind....really good.

Me thinks that Williams was much better in DW than in GoT.

On 11/5/2016 at 6:40 PM, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Turner actually does not have the challenges which Williams and even Harington, Clarke have to face while acting. She doesn't have to act much against props or plastic, doesn't have to speak High Valyrian, no action scenes or being blind, stuff like that. She still does just about an okay job as Sansa.

Truth be told, the various Academies and awarding bodies usually award people who are able to create a character out of script and make it alive and vibrant as the real person. That said, rare are those who can count on acting award by doing a lot of CGI, imagined languages or action sequences. Simply, between the work of special effects department and stunts, many of those cases are not the product of the actor's work. 

The role of Sansa is truly for the great actor's work. Yes, Miss Turner struggles with that, heck, I believe entire writing for Sansa has been completely off. Who is to blame? I do think that Sansa can be amazing role for someone. Is Miss Turner the right person. She seems sweet and kind enough, but I think someone else might have done better work. But, then again, who would know what Miss Turner would be able to do with the right material.

1 hour ago, Risto said:

Truth be told, the various Academies and awarding bodies usually award people who are able to create a character out of script and make it alive and vibrant as the real person. That said, rare are those who can count on acting award by doing a lot of CGI, imagined languages or action sequences. Simply, between the work of special effects department and stunts, many of those cases are not the product of the actor's work. 

The role of Sansa is truly for the great actor's work. Yes, Miss Turner struggles with that, heck, I believe entire writing for Sansa has been completely off. Who is to blame? I do think that Sansa can be amazing role for someone. Is Miss Turner the right person. She seems sweet and kind enough, but I think someone else might have done better work. But, then again, who would know what Miss Turner would be able to do with the right material.

Well, my meaning was more that she doesn't have to really push herself, or get out of her comfort zone for the role. Like someone mentioned with the example of Dinklage above, who was able to produce a great performance while acting against a prop, or in the case of Emilia who has to learn a few words of an alien tongue and be able to give the impression of speaking it decently well and expressing herself in it, or with Maisie and Kit who had to definitely undergo specific training for their roles, brave wearing stuff like the contacts for blindness or being stuck filming most of the time in cold weather conditions, stuff like that. 

Think of a Leonardo DiCaprio in the Revenant, say. There are some roles where actors have to push themselves, Sansa was not one of those. The material they gave her was terrible, I'll definitely agree, but I still feel acting wise she did just okay. The only other role I've seen Turner in was X-Men Apocalypse, she wasn't anything special in that either.

Archived