Parts of 'The Winds of Winter' you are looking forward to

• 5 weeks later...

The story in the North:

• Stannis versus Boltons
  • the fragility of the allegiance of Northmen to the Bolton case, poisoned even more by the presence of the Freys
  • the scheming of Wyman Manderly (with Davos searching for Rickon)
  • the battle in the snow
  • the revelation of the true author and intention of the Pink Letter
  • the revelation of Jeyne Poole's true identity and its effect on the Stannis-Bolton cause

Dany arriving in Westeros with Dothraki, Unsullied and Dragons.

And Jon waking up (he's totes alive), picking up Longclaw and stabbing Alliser Thorne in the hurtiest part of this face.

On 11/28/2016 at 10:19 AM, JLE said:

The announcement of the release date.

Seconded.

And I'm very much looking forward to see:

a) how much in in what ways George's story will differ from the films

b )  how it fleshes out those things that did happen in the show, but which the show raced through.

c) I want a book that is extensive and detailed. The show was intriguing, but season 6 felt like one long highlight reel. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me it is as much what I want to see as what I don't want to see.

I hope he finds the resolve to cut back on all the rank growth and bring the story back to the five main characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Bran) plus a select number of important secondary characters like Cersei, Jaime, Sam and Sansa.

Tossing out a ton of secondary and tertiary characters und subplots that have grown near and dear to his heart is tough but it would make his job easier for ADOS plus it is necessary since the story is nearing the end-game and must shrink back towards its finish.

I have seen that with other successful authors - its by no means a GRRM-only problem - but once an author has a name and sells well it seems progressively harder for editors to get him to do the necessary cuts and cuts and cuts (and then more cuts) young authors get forced to do.

So I want to see secondary characters and plotlines dropping out/dying/finishing a lot in the first half and the second half more and more concentrating on the select cast that is needed for the last book.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 5:39 AM, Amris said:

For me it is as much what I want to see as what I don't want to see.

I hope he finds the resolve to cut back on all the rank growth and bring the story back to the five main characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Bran) plus a select number of important secondary characters like Cersei, Jaime, Sam and Sansa.

Tossing out a ton of secondary and tertiary characters und subplots that have grown near and dear to his heart is tough but it would make his job easier for ADOS plus it is necessary since the story is nearing the end-game and must shrink back towards its finish.

I have seen that with other successful authors - its by no means a GRRM-only problem - but once an author has a name and sells well it seems progressively harder for editors to get him to do the necessary cuts and cuts and cuts (and then more cuts) young authors get forced to do.

So I want to see secondary characters and plotlines dropping out/dying/finishing a lot in the first half and the second half more and more concentrating on the select cast that is needed for the last book.

I agree whole-heartedly.  I have bad memories of the Wheel of Time, which developed so many subplots that its story essentially ground to a halt.  Hell, one of the main characters even disappeared for an entire book, and without the excuse of a geographic split.  So he really needs to concentrate the story on the six main characters (I consider Sansa to be a main character).

In that vein, what I am looking forward to:

Daenerys arriving in Westeros

Arya returning to Westeros (the FM is one of those subplot that, frankly, has to go)

Sansa taking out Littlefinger and moving North.

Jon's revival, and the whole Northern story with Stannis and Theon, and Jeyne Poole.

Bran learning magic and doing something consequential

Tyrion getting his head out of his ass and making himself useful.

All the other characters and stories either concluding or merging with the ones listed above.

- Release day

- Finally holding the damn book in my hands and getting to read it

- The trimming down of storylines. In particular I'm looking forward to the deaths of whoever will die in WoW just so focus will finally shift to the endgame

- Jon's resurrection and the Battle of the Bastards

- Arya's storyline (hopefully) getting wrapped up

Aside from Arya, everything else in Essos is at the very bottom for me. I know that Dany will meet Tyrion, then get her dragons and army back and acquire some ships, but I'm expecting that stuff will be dragged out across the entire book and I don't care for that at all. I'll start caring once they all land in Westeros.

I would prefer to get the book soon :P The parts I am more interested are:

• Beyond the Wall. It's time to see the true North, learn more about the Others, Bran's powers.
  • Wall. How will Jon be saved and what happened after his stabbing.
  • Sansa. This arc has been left aside in Dance and the Alayne sample chapter was intriguing.

Archived