Nap Rooms for University Students - Good Idea?

Theda Baratheon

19 hours ago, Fez said:

Regardless of stereotypes, invoking millennials here is wrong. The concept of generations is pretty vague (except baby boomers, which is the only one specifically tracked by the US census and is anyone born between 1946 and 1964), but its generally agreed that the millennial generation started sometime in the early 1980s overlapping with the end of Generation X (Generation Y is no longer considered a thing). Its not agreed exactly when the millennial generation ended, but it was sometime around the year 2000. Most millennials finished college a long time ago. The youngest ones are still in college now, but most standard-age college students (so, not adults going back) at this point are the older members of the next generation; which doesn't have a catchy name yet.

Point being, figure out some new excuses for whatever's going on at college campuses, its primarily not millennials' fault anymore. I'm a millennial and I finished college almost 10 years ago.

Typically a generation is considered to last 25 years; though naming generations always has overlaps, and pretty wooly start and end dates, and are generalised steretypes based on shared formative experiences. Equally, just because the US census specifies the "baby boomer" generation with specific dates, doesn't mean that those dates are written in stone. Equally, named generations seem to be a very Western thing.

Anyway, as generalisations, you've got (+/- 5 years at each end):

Born 1885-1905 - the "Lost" generation - used to describe those who's teen-tween years fought in WWI

Born 1905-1925 - the "Greatest" generation - used to describe those who fought in WWII

Born 1925-1945 - the "Silent" or "Luck" generation - lived through, but generally too young to fight in WWII

Born 1945-1965 - the "Baby Boomers" - the products in a definite spike in birth rates as soldiers returned home combined with the widespread onset of modern medicine

Born 1965-1985 - "Generation X" - who grew up watching the fall of national institutions and rise of super-corporations

Born 1985-2005* - "Millenials" - basically the first post-cold-war generation; and IIRC the first "generation" with greater numbers than the baby boomers in the Western World. Had previously been known as Generation Y by those with liited imaginations, or Generation XL by those with a cruel sense of humour

Born 2005*-current - I believe "Post-Millenials" is the current vogue term bu those with a lack of imagination; but that'll change over the next decade or so - none currently at Uni for the current topic.

* Actually, I believe the economic crash of 2008 is considered to be the end of the millenial generation - one of very few with a more specific start/end date

42 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

* Actually, I believe the economic crash of 2008 is considered to be the end of the millenial generation - one of very few with a more specific start/end date

I most often hear 9/11 as the end of the millennial generation.

4 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Saunas and nap area in same room????

Not in the same room.  It's a bath house.  There are rooms with baths, some cold baths, some hot, some warm.  Other rooms with different types of saunas.  There is a room for napping.  

21 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Not in the same room.  It's a bath house.  There are rooms with baths, some cold baths, some hot, some warm.  Other rooms with different types of saunas.  There is a room for napping.  

Oh okay, I don't see a problem with that, sounds nice. I was gonna say, though...in the same room...no thanks, LOL

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Regardless of stereotypes, invoking millennials here is wrong. The concept of generations is pretty vague (except baby boomers, which is the only one specifically tracked by the US census and is anyone born between 1946 and 1964), but its generally agreed that the millennial generation started sometime in the early 1980s overlapping with the end of Generation X (Generation Y is no longer considered a thing). Its not agreed exactly when the millennial generation ended, but it was sometime around the year 2000. Most millennials finished college a long time ago. The youngest ones are still in college now, but most standard-age college students (so, not adults going back) at this point are the older members of the next generation; which doesn't have a catchy name yet.

Point being, figure out some new excuses for whatever's going on at college campuses, its primarily not millennials' fault anymore. I'm a millennial and I finished college almost 10 years ago.

Uh, Fez, your math is off.

Even though I normally hear people use 2000 instead of 2005 as the last birth year for "Millennials", that would mean that the youngest Millennials are turning 16 this year, which would mean that "most standard-age college students" are definitely NOT yet among the "older members of the next generation". It will be at least another four years before that would be so, according to your own dating.

11 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Uh, Fez, your math is off.

Even though I normally hear people use 2000 instead of 2005 as the last birth year for "Millennials", that would mean that the youngest Millennials are turning 16 this year, which would mean that "most standard-age college students" are definitely NOT yet among the "older members of the next generation". It will be at least another four years before that would be so, according to your own dating.

Well, that's why I said "the youngest ones are still in college," but since the generations always overlap if we say the millennial generation ended in 2000, then the to-be-named-later generation probably started around 1997 or so. Which would mean a lot of college students are from that group.

Actually to be fair, I've got to the point where I don't really have that much in common with 16-18 year olds and much more with 28 year olds so I guess I'm growing up and not part of the same generation anyway even though they're only a few years younger than me. Anyway sorry for using the term millenials, I guess lazy students would have worked better. Which is a pretty unfair stereotype in itself. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Well, that's why I said "the youngest ones are still in college," but since the generations always overlap if we say the millennial generation ended in 2000, then the to-be-named-later generation probably started around 1997 or so. Which would mean a lot of college students are from that group.

You have to remember I think about things as a "social scientist". "The generations always overlap" is just NOT a way to operationalize this concept. :)  Yes, the dividing lines between "generations" are always arbitrary, but that doesn't mean that when one is doing research on differences between age cohorts that any sociologist, psychologist, or political scientist would assign individuals to being part of more than one "generation", as your "overlap" concept does. That just goofs up the data if you are trying to actually say something meaningful about generational differences. For voting in the US this election one is either 18 on November 8 or one isn't -- and to be part of a "generation" one either fits into a certain set of birth years, or one doesn't. People are of course free to use different age ranges as long as they are clear about what their definitions are.

You could also approach this from two different directions - take somewhat arbitrary blocks of time (20 years, 25 years) and ask what's meaningfully different about people born in each one. Or take substantial event or shifts of paradigm or praxis of some kind (WW2. The sexual revolution. The end of the cold war. 9/11. Social role of the internet) and figure out if they 'form' generations in some meaningful way. Maybe someone who's 16 now and someone who was 16 in 2000 (and is 32 today) are really pretty similar in whatever way (their voting preferences, for example) but really different in another one (the amount of time they spend on social media.) 

We have nap rooms and quiet rooms at our office. I usually sneak in there to make phone calls but it is clearly a violation of the spirit of the rooms. When they were put in the employees were pretty much split into two distinct reaction groups - "thats great, cant wait to use it" and "what grown adult actually takes a nap?" 

I pretty much fall into the latter view but to each their own. If you need a nappy noo noo (as I used to say to my little ones) then go for it!  I just fear that sometimes these policies put in place at the university level have a weird way of become "employee rights" as that generation enters the workplace. I just hope I wont have to be scheduling nap times for my employees 15 years from now :) . 

22 hours ago, sologdin said:

am having suspicions about what the most common usage of 'nap' rooms will be.

You might be wrong though. 

Small news story from earlier this year (February/March I think).

A University had to shut down their "Nap Room" (they called room of silence I think). And it was not for tweens getting frisky and performing an reenactment of Eyes Wide Shut. What happened was this.

The university gave the student body aforementioned room of silence, for students to sleep, meditate, silent prayer or to read. The university placed a bookshelf in it, to underline what it was intended to be (neutral in terms of religion and political position), and what it was not. After a few months this room was hijacked by a group of muslim students, who had a different idea what this room was meant for. They turned it into a muslim prayer room, with Quran copies, prayer Rug and everything. Furthermore they improvised to artificially divide the room into two section, one for the men, and a smaller section for the women. They even created and printed out a set of rules on flyers for whoever wanted to use the room. Women mustn't wear perfurm, and must wear a headscarf. Of course a good portion of the students went to the university and complained (and rightly so).

That was when the university had to bring the hammer down and ended that experiment. Some students launched a petition and gathered 3-400 signatures, to reopen the room. The university did the only thing they could (at least imo). They responded with an open letter stating what this room was intended to be, and how the university is a public institution and not religious one (seperation of state and church), and how a segregation of men and women is incompatible with the idea of equality. And that they won't re-open the room. And that turning that room into a prayer room, was definately against the agreement between the students and the university on how the room was meant to be used.

The spokesperson of the university noted in an interview, that other universities were experiencing similar problems with their nap rooms.

2 hours ago, zelticgar said:

We have nap rooms and quiet rooms at our office. I usually sneak in there to make phone calls but it is clearly a violation of the spirit of the rooms. When they were put in the employees were pretty much split into two distinct reaction groups - "thats great, cant wait to use it" and "what grown adult actually takes a nap?" 

I pretty much fall into the latter view but to each their own. If you need a nappy noo noo (as I used to say to my little ones) then go for it!  I just fear that sometimes these policies put in place at the university level have a weird way of become "employee rights" as that generation enters the workplace. I just hope I wont have to be scheduling nap times for my employees 15 years from now :) . 

the way humans evolve and our understanding of the way sleep and things like that work are always changing, so even if in 15 years time if it is common place for work places to have a nap room, i don't see a problem, just because things have been a certain way before, doesn't mean they should always be that way. and it seems a bit disingenuous to assume you'd be telling people their own nap times, and could do without the condescending nappy noo noo bit. 

14 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I hated nap time when I was young, because I could never fall asleep, and it was just half an hour to an hour of lying in a cot quietly.

it wasn't until I turned 18 that I could appreciate the concept.

yeah !! i hated napping as a kid LOL 

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'd be all for the culture to evolve to people expecting longer lunch periods in which to incorporate a 20 minute nap.  You don't want a nappy noo noo, then go sit in a corner and pout.  

aye lmao, i think working hours need to change anyway, some people just don't function as well on the 9 to 5 

i long for a day when the working day is like 11/12 - 7/8 lol 

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

the way humans evolve and our understanding of the way sleep and things like that work are always changing, so even if in 15 years time if it is common place for work places to have a nap room, i don't see a problem, just because things have been a certain way before, doesn't mean they should always be that way. and it seems a bit disingenuous to assume you'd be telling people their own nap times, and could do without the condescending nappy noo noo bit. 

sorry. I thought that smiley face at the end of my post might have tipped you off that I was joking.  Honestly I'm fine letting people nap wherever and whenever they want. Not something that I've ever done or needed though.

I personally think people who need naps are simply not able to manage their time effectively.  I get it for some professions (medical, public safety, researchers,etc. ) but for regular undergrads or 9 to 5 professionals it just seems like overkill and a good indicator that people needing a nap are not effective at managing their time or personal wellness.  

Archived