US Elections - The white power-suit vs the white-power suit

all swedes are racist

I talked to my dad about filling out his absentee ballet. In no uncertain terms he said he would not vote for Clinton. "I won't vote for a woman!"

But he also hates Trump.

So I said he could write in a name. He agreed with that. I offered up ideas of Topo Gigio,  Al Pacino, and Chuck Norris. Then when I suggested John McCain he said "Yes! I love that man!"

So that takes care of that.

7 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I talked to my dad about filling out his absentee ballet. In no uncertain terms he said he would not vote for Clinton. "I won't vote for a woman!"

But he also hates Trump.

So I said he could write in a name. He agreed with that. I offered up ideas of Topo Gigio,  Al Pacino, and Chuck Norris. Then when I suggested John McCain he said "Yes! I love that man!"

So that takes care of that.

I don't know if I should be impressed or not that your father is so honest about his sexism that he admits he straight up will not vote for a woman. 

Regardless, I'm glad that's one more vote Trump isn't getting. 

Louisiana, howver, alas, since I spend so much time there, is so very much NOT in play for Hillary.  70% of the white electorate is for u no whowhowho.  The redistricting and road home blockades put in place by the rabid white dogs of the state has been 100% effective in breaking up all the solid blue/Dem voting regions, most particularly New Orleans.

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't know if I should be impressed or not that your father is so honest about his sexism that he admits he straight up will not vote for a woman. 

Yeah and this is a guy that had no problem letting my mom run his businesses for thirty years while he played host to the customers, made cappuccino, and went to his IBM meetings (Italian Business Men) that didn't allow women.

/threadjack

People make comparisons to the 'Daisy' ad way too often, but in this case I think it's apt. (Video's embedded in the middle of the page). Its from a super PAC run by Bill Bradley (yes, that Bill Bradley) and its a $725,000 ad buy in Ohio; so its not a web-only thing designed to get media folks talking.

For me the most surprising thing is that Bill Bradley is running a super PAC now.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

For me the most surprising thing is that Bill Bradley is running a super PAC now.

LOL.  Exactly, Mr. PACs are evil himself.  Do we think it will be effective?   Do we think that Democratic voters will get complacent?  That's my worry.  Everyone seems to think it is in the bag.  But to quote the great Yogi Berra, it ain't over til it's over.

17 hours ago, Zorral said:

The only thing of interest to see here is that while the Orange's campaign thought about it and did a bit of exploration of the offer, the Clinton campaign, also approached by the same fella(s), ignored him / them.

Uh.... No.  Learn to read better.

It was a Super PAC, not the campaign.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

In 2008 my mother refused to vote for Obama because he's black. 

Then she heard his acceptance speech on Election Night and said he reminded her of JFK. She's been a fan ever since.

3 hours ago, Swordfish said:

Uh.... No.  Learn to read better.

It was a Super PAC, not the campaign.

This sting operation is an old bit of news from last spring, so as I recalled that, didn't read at all!  :D 

The point doesn't change that Hillary's people ignored the sting attempt.  The Orange Stalin's were looking at it -- patsy time.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

This sting operation is an old bit of news from last spring, so as I recalled that, didn't read at all!  :D 

The point doesn't change that Hillary's people ignored the sting attempt.  The Orange Stalin's were looking at it -- patsy time.

It's generally bad practice to comment on an article you haven't read.

There's nothing in that article that indicates the Trump campaign was 'looking at it',

Unless you have other information form another source?

4 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

LOL.  Exactly, Mr. PACs are evil himself.  Do we think it will be effective?   Do we think that Democratic voters will get complacent?  That's my worry.  Everyone seems to think it is in the bag.  But to quote the great Yogi Berra, it ain't over til it's over.

I doubt it moves the needle, but maybe it'll swing a few voters; who knows? And Ohio's a place where Democrats could still use some more.

I wouldn't be worried about complacency, its far less of a problem than Republicans have with voter depression. People like to be on the winning team (and if you poll after-the-fact and ask 'who did you vote for? the winning candidate almost always has a much higher margin than they actually won; so long as there no scandal or such) and will make more of an effort to vote if that's their side. 

Nothing's over until it is, but there's a reason why Democrats (and the non-Trump portions of the GOP) are focused mostly on congressional races at this point; that's where there's still doubt about some of the outcomes.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I doubt it moves the needle, but maybe it'll swing a few voters; who knows? And Ohio's a place where Democrats could still use some more.

I wouldn't be worried about complacency, its far less of a problem than Republicans have with voter depression. People like to be on the winning team (and if you poll after-the-fact and ask 'who did you vote for? the winning candidate almost always has a much higher margin than they actually won; so long as there no scandal or such) and will make more of an effort to vote if that's their side. 

Nothing's over until it is, but there's a reason why Democrats (and the non-Trump portions of the GOP) are focused mostly on congressional races at this point; that's where there's still doubt about some of the outcomes.

Agreed. The only thing I have to add is that people are less likely to be complacent if they are truly afraid of the candidate they oppose. 

30 minutes ago, Fez said:

Speaking of downticket:

Hilarious.

It might be just a temp thing; Trump was reportedly pulling out of certain states but he was just juggling things. 

That said, that we even think that it's true and we think Trump could be that incredibly petty speaks to precisely how bad of a candidate he has been for the GOP. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

That said, that we even think that it's true and we think Trump could be that incredibly petty speaks to precisely how bad of a candidate he has been for the GOP. 

Have you ever doubted that? This guy would sell his own grandmother down the river to settle a score. He clearly has zero fucks to give to anyone outside of himself.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Have you ever doubted that? This guy would sell his own grandmother down the river to settle a score. He clearly has zero fucks to give to anyone outside of himself.

True. Reading the WaPo piece indicates that this was a deliberate plan - they wanted to avoid doing any fundraisers and instead focus entirely on speaking events. And get donations online instead of through the Trump Victory fund. That works better for him, but only raises 20% (instead of 50-80%) for Republicans. 

He also has pledged to put in $100m of his own money and so far has only done $56m - and at least 30% of the total money raised has gone directly to his businesses, making it at best a wash for him and likely actually profitable once the dust settles. 

Archived