US Elections - The white power-suit vs the white-power suit

all swedes are racist

So, the Alfred Smith Dinner. It was a hell of a thing to watch. Trump had some legitimately funny jokes that would have fit in the normal tradition of the dinner. But he went on a number of rants, ugly rants that weren't jokes so much as outpourings of grievance at Hillary Clinton. He called her corrupt and anti-Catholic. There was even one early in his routine, where he went Nixonian on the rich and powerful people in the audience who used to court and flatter him and now revile him. It seemed to me in these rants he was taking a break from reading the mostly decent jokes on his notes and just unloading off the cuff, as is his habit. He did get booed, a number of times, quite lustily, and there were lots of eye rolls and unhappy looks from the people in the frame around him. It was clear the Cardinal was appalled. He took off his skullcap when it started to get really ugly, like he was sweating a lot.

Clinton spent a little time making jokes about herself, including predictable ones about how expensive it was to have her speak. She had a lot of good zingers, but I felt it was also over the previous line a few times. She never got nearly as nasty as his improvised remarks -- the Statue of Liberty line was as bad as it got. My personal favorite, when talking about her health concerns: "I know Donald is healthy as a horse. Like the horse that Putin rides." It was clear how much she loathed him, certainly. She spoke for thirty or forty minutes and I thought that was way too long. There were a few times I thought she extended an attack just a little too long and thought she was making mistakes. But overall very sharp for Clinton.

Also, Maria Bartiromo's cleavage was in the frame pretty much the entire time. My wife remarked on how marvelous it was.

Afterward we watched Obama's speech in 2012. Ten minutes... breezy, gracious, mildly pointed, corny at times, unfailingly civil. It was like an antidote to the poison we'd consumed.

I watched a couple of clips, not the whole thing. The joke about media bias and Melania was the best of his jokes I think. But yes, there were clearly segments that were just venom, and not even pretending to be jokes.

2 hours ago, TerraPrime said:

I watched a couple of clips, not the whole thing. The joke about media bias and Melania was the best of his jokes I think. But yes, there were clearly segments that were just venom, and not even pretending to be jokes.

He started quite well . My take away from this is that Trump could have been a very dangerous demagogue if his attention span and self-control doubled to about say..an hour. 

2 hours ago, TerraPrime said:

Thing is, I think he may have actually thought they were funny. Trump doesn't really have much of a sense of humour.

Clinton's lines were pretty good:

http://mashable.com/2016/10/20/zing-zing-zing-clinton/?utm_cid=hp-r-1#CO52_A535iqk

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Karena Virginia Becomes 10th Woman to Accuse Trump of Sexual Misconduct

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/karena-virginia-becomes-tenth-woman-accuse-trump-sexual-misconduct-n670146

It's more like 16 by my last count. Every outlet seems to report a different number, like they're making different judgments about which accusers are believable enough to report. Don't like that much.

ME,

It's the party of Feels over Facts. And its' Feels are hurt.

This is spot on.  Yesterday on Facebook Stubby and I were dueling with a guy who thinks the prospect of Trump having Clinton arrested, if by some dark twist Trump wins the election, is just great.  Trumps supporters, by and large, cannot make coherent arguments in favor of their orange haired wonder.  They talk about how great he is and when problems are pointed out they attempt to non-sequiter their way out of what they brought up.  It is fallacious argument after fallacious argument and it becomes incoherent just like their guy.

I will be shocked if Trumo gets more than 40% of the popular vote.  He's awful and it appears to me that only people who cannot be rational about this election are choosing to support him.

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I will be shocked if Trumo gets more than 40% of the popular vote.  He's awful and it appears to me that only people who cannot be rational about this election are choosing to support him.

I hope Trump gets less than 40%. There's something wrong about him getting more support than fundamentally decent people like Barry Goldwater (38.5%), George McGovern (37.5%), or Walter Mondale (40.6%).

Archived