What if Robert found about R+L=Jon Snow?

TheDemonicStark

This would likely cause a HUGE rift between Robert and Ned: they argued over Robert sending an assassin after Dany, I'd say their friendship would have ended on the spot if he found out Ned was harbouring the child the woman he loved had with a man he hated. 

I'm not sure if Robert would go out of his way to kill Jon though. He's still the nephew of one of the most respected Lords in Westeros (or at least the North). Ned recalled that when Tywin presented him with the remains of Aegon, Robert looked away as he couldn't stand to see the sight of the body. I interpret this last bit as Robert still having a sense of decency in him. Granted, his bitterness could only have grown over the years, but I can't see him actively seeking out someone's death, especially Ned's nephew.

I feel like Dany is a bit of a different story because he is only spurred to act when he found out she'd married Khal Drogo so that Viscerys (someone who was actively seeking the throne for years) could have an army - which is a threat. No way Jon poses that much of a threat, even if his birth was common knowledge AND people believed it.

On 21/10/2016 at 7:53 PM, TheDemonicStark said:

Honestly, I cannot see this going any other way except for full scale war. Seriously, he felt that Lyanna was raped by Rhaegar, so he would see Jon as a rape child, no question. He would want to kill him. Lyanna was scared for Jon because of this. It was why she told Ned to protect him. 

It gets very ugly between the old friends.

If your scenario is Robert finding out Jon is Rhaegars, but still believing it was rape, that is a difficult situation. Does Ned tell him Lyanna was willing? Does he let that lie? What can it change? 

If Ned tells Robert it was Lyannas choice, Roberts hatred for everything Targaryen gets amplified likely by new feelings, the feeling of rejection that Lyanna wanted Rhaegar but not him. Robert would spiral into a murderous rage and carnage would follow. 

Robert would likely hate the Targaryens even more after this I assume. And these quotes show his hatred for them was quite a thing. 

"Robert's hatred of the Targaryens was a madness in him. He remembered the angry words they had exchanged when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war. When he had protested that the young prince and princess were no more than babes, his new-made king had replied, "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn." Not even Jon Arryn had been able to calm that storm"

"Robert, I ask you, what did we rise against Aerys Targaryen for, if not to put an end to the murder of children?" 

"To put an end to Targaryens!" the king growled."

"The king jerked the reins hard, quieting the animal, and pointed an angry finger at Ned. "I will kill every Targaryen I can get my hands on, until they are as dead as their dragons, and then I will piss on their graves."

40 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

Ned recalled that when Tywin presented him with the remains of Aegon, Robert looked away as he couldn't stand to see the sight of the body.

I recall a different reaction from Robert as recalled by Ned.

"when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war. When he had protested that the young prince and princess were no more than babes, his new-made king had replied, "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn."

10 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

"when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war. When he had protested that the young prince and princess were no more than babes, his new-made king had replied, "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn."

I believe it was from a different chapter, but it's definitely in the first book. I imagine that conversation would have taken place later: Ned would have brought that up in private after Robert held court. And to me that sounds like Robert trying to reason with himself and to explain to himself why it was ok for someone to have them killed and for Tywin to present them. Trying to reconcile his hatred of a few Targaryens with the murder of 2 children. 

That's just my interpretation though! Robert has his weaknesses of course, but I don't think his bitterness extends past words into action.

41 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

Ned recalled that when Tywin presented him with the remains of Aegon, Robert looked away as he couldn't stand to see the sight of the body. I interpret this last bit as Robert still having a sense of decency in him.

Really?  I interpret Robert looking away as a way to make it easier for him not to take responsibility.  Robert was always motivated by whatever increased his ease and conversely decreased his unease.  In other words, he always took the easy way out.  He failed to stand up to Tywin; he failed to stand up to Cersei.  His avoidance of taking a stand in terms of justice and accountability was so gross, he was willing to let children and innocents take the fall while he coddled and promoted tyrants.  The following is also a telling moment which says a lot about his cowardice, wimpish morality and ineptitude as a ruler:

"We have a wolf," Cersei Lannister said. Her voice was very quiet, but her green eyes shone with triumph.

It took them all a moment to comprehend her words, but when they did, the king shrugged irritably. "As you will. Have Ser Ilyn see to it."

"Robert, you cannot mean this," Ned protested.

The king was in no mood for more argument. "Enough, Ned, I will hear no more. A direwolf is a savage beast. Sooner or later it would have turned on your girl the same way the other did on my son. Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it."

That was when Sansa finally seemed to comprehend. Her eyes were frightened as they went to her father. "He doesn't mean Lady, does he?" She saw the truth on his face. "No," she said. "No, not Lady, Lady didn't bite anybody, she's good . . . "

"Lady wasn't there," Arya shouted angrily. "You leave her alone!"

"Stop them," Sansa pleaded, "don't let them do it, please, please, it wasn't Lady, it was Nymeria, Arya did it, you can't, it wasn't Lady, don't let them hurt Lady, I'll make her be good, I promise, I promise . . . " She started to cry.

All Ned could do was take her in his arms and hold her while she wept. He looked across the room at Robert. His old friend, closer than any brother. "Please, Robert. For the love you bear me. For the love you bore my sister. Please."

The king looked at them for a long moment, then turned his eyes on his wife. "Damn you, Cersei," he said with loathing.

Ned stood, gently disengaging himself from Sansa's grasp. All the weariness of the past four days had returned to him. "Do it yourself then, Robert," he said in a voice cold and sharp as steel. "At least have the courage to do it yourself."

Robert looked at Ned with flat, dead eyes and left without a word, his footsteps heavy as lead. Silence filled the hall.

"Where is the direwolf?" Cersei Lannister asked when her husband was gone. Beside her, Prince Joffrey was smiling.

He would have ordered an assassin to get rid of Jon for him and looked away from his 'friend's' pain with his 'flat, dead eyes.'

10 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Really?  I interpret Robert looking away as a way to make it easier for him not to take responsibility.  Robert was always motivated by whatever increased his ease and conversely decreased his unease.  In other words, he always took the easy way out.  He failed to stand up to Tywin; he failed to stand up to Cersei.  His avoidance of taking a stand in terms of justice and accountability was so gross, he was willing to let children and innocents take the fall while he coddled and promoted tyrants.  The following is also a telling moment which says a lot about his cowardice, wimpish morality and ineptitude as a ruler:

He would have ordered an assassin to get rid of Jon for him and looked away from his 'friend's' pain with his 'flat, dead eyes.'

I definitely agree that his sense of morality was warped over the years. By the time we meet him in the books, he's a pretty ineffective ruler. He's a puppet basically, he listens to Cersei, Tywin and his council. The part of the book you've quoted supports this - he's not happy about siding with Cersei over Ned and letting Lady die, but he does it anyway and leaves. 

He's interested in drinking and whoring around and letting things happen around him. The OP asks what would would happen if Robert found out - I was answering with the assumption that Robert would be acting alone, and I personally can't see him going out of his way to order an assassin. Just my 2 cents. Not without being spurred on by a third party (which is more probable). 

I understand the reason's you've given and why you've given them though. 

3 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

he's not happy about siding with Cersei over Ned and letting Lady die, but he does it anyway and leaves. 

Ask yourself, why does he side with Cersei?  He's the King.  He doesn't have to side with Cersei.  He can make his own decisions, even if they are arbitrary or unilateral.  

They are all scared of displeasing Cersei.  Jaime's the same when we initially meet him.  He also glances over at Cersei for approval -- though it is similarly with 'loathing' -- before he chucks Bran out of the window.

18 minutes ago, Mat92 said:

I believe it was from a different chapter, but it's definitely in the first book. I imagine that conversation would have taken place later: Ned would have brought that up in private after Robert held court. And to me that sounds like Robert trying to reason with himself and to explain to himself why it was ok for someone to have them killed and for Tywin to present them. Trying to reconcile his hatred of a few Targaryens with the murder of 2 children. 

That's just my interpretation though! Robert has his weaknesses of course, but I don't think his bitterness extends past words into action.

The full quote. It happens at the exact time Tywin laid the bodies down. 

"Robert's hatred of the Targaryens was a madness in him. He remembered the angry words they had exchanged when Tywin Lannister had presented Robert with the corpses of Rhaegar's wife and children as a token of fealty. Ned had named that murder; Robert called it war. When he had protested that the young prince and princess were no more than babes, his new-made king had replied, "I see no babes. Only dragonspawn." Not even Jon Arryn had been able to calm that storm"

12 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

There is no contradiction here: he said these things, yet couldn't look at the murdered corpses. Maybe that's why Ned taught his children that if they pass capital judgment on someone, they must look - and be prepared to to be the executioner.

If Robert had followed Ned in calling their deaths murder. he would've had Tywin Lannister for an enemy. Maybe Robert showed more political prudence than Ned, for once. The dead remain dead, no matter if you call them babes or dragonspawn.

Yet Robert didn't order Viserys and Daenerys killed. And he could have, later.

Robert might have let Lyanna's child live. The Lannisters wouldn't have.

10 minutes ago, Tini said:

There is no contradiction here: he said these things, yet couldn't look at the murdered corpses. Maybe that's why Ned taught his children that if they pass capital judgment on someone, they must look - and be prepared to to be the executioner.

If Robert had followed Ned in calling their deaths murder. he would've had Tywin Lannister for an enemy. Maybe Robert showed more political prudence than Ned, for once. The dead remain dead, no matter if you call them babes or dragonspawn.

I dont think he reacted that way because he would have had Tywin as an enemy. He reacted that way because that's how he thinks. He could have said, sorry Ned this is how it is, it's better this way, or something. Robert wasn't trying to be big or scary to please Tywin. He really hated Targs  that much. 

Robert wanted Viserys and Dany dead, he was angry at Stannis for letting them slip away from Dragonstone. He also later  wanted to have them killed but Jon Arryn managed to talk him out of it and then drinking and whoring would likely have distracted him from thinking about it again.

27 minutes ago, Tini said:

If Robert had been something close to a just or decent man, he would have had Amory Lorch and Gregor Clegane executed, right after taking the throne, for the crime of Elia and her children. Moving on Tywin may have been a matter of political prudence, or not (I sincerely doubt Robert gave much thought to matters of politics) but executing Gregor and Amory has zero potential repercussions (I'm not going to believe Tywin cared about them), yet he didn't do so.

It's far more likely @Macgregor of the North and @ravenous reader have the right of it - Robert just didn't care. His not executing Viserys and Dany is exactly the same thing. Even if he hadn't killed Jon himself, he wouldn't have bothered much if the Lannisters did it.

37 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Folks do know a direwolf IS a dangerous animal no??

When Robert says to Ned that he should give his kids dogs instead he is being the reasonable one...

True. Ned allowed a prehistoric monster to be near his toddler son and Robert is the bad one? 

@op Ned had told that Robert would had never harm him and his family. It is more likely that Robert would had been angry with Ned but as he has already proved he wouldn’t had killed a child, he is no Tywin. Tywin on the other hand or even the Tyrells would had killed Jon in order to please Robert.

45 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

Folks do know a direwolf IS a dangerous animal no??

When Robert says to Ned that he should give his kids dogs instead he is being the reasonable one...

Maybe so, but he didn't have to have the direwolf killed. He could have just forbidden Ned to bring it to the capital.

Plus, this has nothing to do with being reasonable. Robert didn't order the direwolf dead because he thought it was dangerous; if that were the case, he would have done so immediately. Instead, he only orders the wolf dead when Cersei demands it. He does so because he is too much of a coward to refuse her. He was satisfied with Nymeria being gone; he didn't need her dead. But when Cersei demands a wolf corpse, sudden;y Lady has to die. Why? Why couldn't she be sent back North, or released to the wild? Cos Bob's a coward.

1 hour ago, Macgregor of the North said:

I dont think he reacted that way because he would have had Tywin as an enemy. He reacted that way because that's how he thinks. He could have said, sorry Ned this is how it is, it's better this way, or something. Robert wasn't trying to be big or scary to please Tywin. He really hated Targs  that much. 

Robert wanted Viserys and Dany dead, he was angry at Stannis for letting them slip away from Dragonstone. He also later  wanted to have them killed but Jon Arryn managed to talk him out of it and then drinking and whoring would likely have distracted him from thinking about it again.

Still, he could've had someone kill Viserys and Daenerys. Instead he got talked out of it. (And he would've had someone else do it - Stannis, for example. I don't think he had the guts to do it himself.) Neither Viserys nor Daenerys were related to a girl he claimed to love.

Unless Ned were stupid enough to tell him that Lyanna preferred Rhaegar, and that Jon was legitimate, Jon would've been safe from Robert.

30 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

he only orders the wolf dead when Cersei demands it. He does so because he is too much of a coward to refuse her.

Yeah, he was terrified of a little nagging!  Just wanted to be left in peace -- and see where that got him in the end...

I hope the twins turn out to be 'secret Targs' making the incestuous products of their union superconcentrated genetic Targ specimens bearing the name 'Baratheon'.  What a delectable irony that would be -- Robert having been instrumental in restoring the 'dragonspawn' to the throne via his own cowardice and shortsightedness.

He chose to blur moral lines and 'turn a blind eye' to atrocities, inviting his enemies into the fold thinking that would keep him safe and prosperous.  Instead, he ended up surrounded by a bunch of people he couldn't trust, who deceived him, cuckolded him, and ended up killing him.

A Storm of Swords - Davos IV

"Why would you want it, then?" Davos asked him.

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son." He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. "I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark.For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done, after the Trident. Ser Barristan once told me that the rot in King Aerys's reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned. No more than the Kingslayer. At the least, Robert should have stripped the white cloak from Jaime and sent him to the Wall, as Lord Stark urged. He listened to Jon Arryn instead. I was still at Storm's End, under siege and unconsulted." He turned abruptly, to give Davos a hard shrewd look. "The truth, now. Why did you wish to murder Lady Melisandre?"

So he does know. Davos could not lie to him. "Four of my sons burned on the Blackwater. She gave them to the flames."

Stannis would have made a more just king than his brother, had he not fallen in with Melisandre to his detriment.  Lines must be drawn, the rot cut out.  

1 hour ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

Even if he hadn't killed Jon himself, he wouldn't have bothered much if the Lannisters did it.

Rest assured, Tywin and Cersei would've seen to it, the former motivated by his vindictive sadism in relation to his nemesis Aerys, whose line he wished to utterly extinguish in their personal transgenerational vendetta; the latter whose paranoia and avaricious ambition would never have tolerated even the slightest hint of a challenge to the throne she and her children had usurped.

Archived