An alternative to Jon Connington [Meta]

Yes, it's me with another Aegon/Jon post. I just gotta know...am I the only one who finds Jon Connington a giant bore? I mean, I'm not saying he's a bad character, he's got some stuff going for him, like his unrequited crush for Rhaegar, his guilt for failing him, his misguided attempt to emulate Tywin, the greyscale, etc. But...in terms of his personality, I just think he's super dull. Like, if I had to describe his personality I'd say he's...I don't even know. Stern? It feels like trying to describe Qui-gon Jinn in the Plinkett Test. He's just so bland, like Stannis without the dark sense of humor, or Struggle Tywin. 

So, that got me thinking. Of course, I know, from an in-story perspective, why GRRM had Jon Connington be Aegon's guardian: Varys needed someone vulnerable and willing to right his past wrongs, with some connection to Rhaegar for credibility, and it helped that he was in exile, etc. But from a META perspective, I wonder if another character would've had a more interesting personality? For example, Arthur Dayne seems like he was a larger than life figure, probably super charismatic and a great warrior to boot. (Yes, yes, I know that Jon being a bit of a loser is kind of the point). And what of Rhaegar's other friends and squires? Do you think one of them could've been interesting? How about other Targ loyalist, rising Aegon in secret?

Just for kicks, can you think of an interesting alternative guardian for Aegon? 

4 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Yes, it's me with another Aegon/Jon post. I just gotta know...am I the only one who finds Jon Connington a giant bore? I mean, I'm not saying he's a bad character, he's got some stuff going for him, like his unrequited crush for Rhaegar, his guilt for failing him, his misguided attempt to emulate Tywin, the greyscale, etc. But...in terms of his personality, I just think he's super dull. Like, if I had to describe his personality I'd say he's...I don't even know. Stern? It feels like trying to describe Qui-gon Jinn in the Plinkett Test. He's just so bland, like Stannis without the dark sense of humor, or Struggle Tywin. 

So, that got me thinking. Of course, I know, from an in-story perspective, why GRRM had Jon Connington be Aegon's guardian: Varys needed someone vulnerable and willing to right his past wrongs, with some connection to Rhaegar for credibility, and it helped that he was in exile, etc. But from a META perspective, I wonder if another character would've had a more interesting personality? For example, Arthur Dayne seems like he was a larger than life figure, probably super charismatic and a great warrior to boot. (Yes, yes, I know that Jon being a bit of a loser is kind of the point). And what of Rhaegar's other friends and squires? Do you think one of them could've been interesting? How about other Targ loyalist, rising Aegon in secret?

Just for kicks, can you think of an interesting alternative guardian for Aegon? 

It's interesting to see this description of Jon from someone. I actually kind of like him. Everyone in Westeros thinks he drank himself to death. Now he's coming back like "what up bitches, I'm back!" Plus, he didn't do the Tywin thing and burn Stoney Sept. Even though I suppose that was more because he wanted to kill Bob 1 v 1. 

Anyways, I kind of like his story. Maybe he is a bit boring though, maybe WoW will bring us some inner dialogue greyscale jokes. :D

Look at him with relation to other characters.

He lives with the deep regret of having failed his love, his failure was he was too soft. Now he's back to make amends, and is determined not to make that same mistake. His arc is that of his disease, greyscale turns soft flesh to hard unfeeling stone.

JC is a result of Varys' planning, planning motivated by the good of the realm. Particularly for the children, Varys took great issue the murder of the royal children and culprit having gone unpunished. Now here comes JC, to end the usurper's line for good. So are things headed to a situation where Varys has recreated the monster, is he handing the keys to the kingdom to another Tywin? And thus achieving nothing.

And think of him in terms of his namesake. As Jon's heart hardens and turns to ice up on the wall consider JC as a possible path of Jon Stark, or even Sansa. What lessons will take from their losses and betrayals? How much will those define them.

These are the reasons JC is JC.

5 hours ago, FreeParking said:

Jon Connington is just a different flavored Jorah Mormont. Disgraced, exiled Westerosi noble obsessed with a Targ whose love he will never win and will likely grow increasingly unhinged in his effort to put Dany/Aegon on the throne.

I like Jon Connington a lot better that Jorah as he seems a genuinely tragic figure. JonCon was unjustly exiled by Aerys for failing him against Robert while Jorah fled to avoid the consequences of selling people into slavery. I find Jorah a bit too creepy, entitled and arrogant with regard to Dany while I get the feeling that JonCon understood all too well that he had no claim to Rhaegar's love.

Honestly, I dare to say that so far JonCo seems a bit to be a camera to document the movement of Aegon. Similar to Areo Hotah. But unlike Areo, JonCo has at least some personality, while Areo seems to be a robot-like person (which is probably some kind of required from a guard) who only sees and hears things but doesn't really contribute to the story, if you get what I mean. I agree that JonCo is a bit similar to Jorah and clearly he is not as interesting POV as for example Jaime or Arya, but I quite like him.

2 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

I like Jon Connington a lot better that Jorah as he seems a genuinely tragic figure. JonCon was unjustly exiled by Aerys for failing him against Robert while Jorah fled to avoid the consequences of selling people into slavery. I find Jorah a bit too creepy, entitled and arrogant with regard to Dany while I get the feeling that JonCon understood all too well that he had no claim to Rhaegar's love.

I agree with this. Jon tried his best and failed. Even if he was resigned to being just Rhaegar's friend, he at least had that. Thanks to Aerys exiling him and then Robert killing Rhaegar, Jon was left with nothing. 

Although, speaking of Jorah, had GRRM decided to use him as Aegon's caretaker, it would be an example of using an well-established character in the role. (JonCon is established, but only in a brief mention). And yeah, that would be tricky to do, with Jorah; maybe having Varys find out Dany banished Jorah and then Varys getting in touch with him to help out Aegon. It doesn't work well, but it is one way JonCon could be swapped out with a character we already knew. (I prefer JonCon as he is, though).

Another hypothetical choice might be Ashara Dayne herself, having faked her death and being in hiding (Septa Lemore theories aside). Imagine a women getting to deal with the Golden Company; she'd have to be formidable. And we'd really being getting into hypothetical/fanfic territory if we bring Dorne into it; Doran having a secret agent raising Aegon (a good way to keep Oberyn out of trouble), one of the Sand Snakes or one of their moms (the Snakes themselves might be too young to have raised a kid Aegon's age themselves), or even a completely wild card character like Marwyn.

5 hours ago, Wall Flower said:

Just like some people like grape over cherry.

Archived