The Young Pope (Sky/HBO/Canal Plus)

AncalagonTheBlack

So I haven't read any of the other posts in here past page one as I'm in America and we're only on EPisode four right now. (I wonder if HBO will ever change to the Netflix model? Because this is one show I could definitely binge watch!)

Anyway, I'm really liking the show. Having been raised a Catholic, I find the inner workings of the Church and Vatican politics compelling drama--even if it is made up inner workings and politics. The editing is very jumpy, for lack of a better word, but not in a Michael Bay sort of way--in an arthouse sort of way. It's interesting. The cinematography is great, too. Lots of beautifully framed shots in the series thus far. (On episode 4 at the moment.)  I hope there's a satisfactory payoff by episode 10 (Not being able to binge is killing me with this series! Did I mention that?) because some of the characters are all over the place. Also, Jude Law is fucking crushing it as Pope Pious XIII. It's probably my favorite thing I've seen him in since Gattaca. (Yeah, yeah, he's good as Watson in the Sherlock films, but that's RDJ's show really.)

And the greatest thing about that scene is that it never gets old :D 

Admit it guys, this series is amazing :D It's beautiful and unapologetically its own thing. You can't really compare this to anything else that has ever been on television ever :D I love everything about it.

This show keeps getting better and better. I think the Holy Father is supposed to be like Don Draper or Bojack Horseman. He's the way he is because he's got a hole he's never going to fill.  He's so sad because his mother didn't love him and doesn't know how to go about getting the love that he didn't get from her. 

I thought it was a very good series. The second half of the season was stronger than the first, but that may be due to seeing how the pieces fit and the show settling into itself. It felt like it was trying to simply be controversial the first few episodes, but the series developed and matured just like Lenny's character. I loved episodes 8 and 9(especially 9 with Gutierrez in NY), but the finale wasn't as impressive as hoped. Kurtwell's fate was underwhelming. I appreciate Sorrentino leaving questions unanswered and everything up to the viewer's interpretation.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm only six episodes down...and I have no idea what the he'll is going on still! I can't decide if I'm supposed to actually like Lenny or not, even as I personally find a lot of the things he's done as not being likeable...

I felt the same way at that point, Episode 5 until then was my favorite.

On 2/14/2017 at 8:16 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm only six episodes down...and I have no idea what the he'll is going on still! I can't decide if I'm supposed to actually like Lenny or not, even as I personally find a lot of the things he's done as not being likeable...

That was one of my frustrations with the series early on. I also wasn't sure in the beginning if I was supposed to regard him as Kevin Spacey in House of Cards (a master manipulator) or as someone mentioned earlier, more of a Don Draper from Mad Men. By the last few episodes though, I think he was more the latter. 

Over all I think the series did a great job of giving Lenny a real arc. He was finally acting like the Holy FATHER in those last few episodes.

On 1/31/2017 at 9:26 AM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The entire fifth episode was awesome.  

Agreed. That is probably my favorite episode overall. It's just so beautifully written and shot. 

Archived