How did the giants lose against the First Men?

James Steller

When I think about it again, I wonder just how the giants managed to be driven back beyond the North. They're massive creatures with incredible strength, and they can withstand the cold better than humans can. We've seen what Wun Wun does to a knight armoured in steel plate and mail. The first men only had bronze weapons. How could the first men defeat these giants in combat?

Could have been a number of things. 

The pure number of first men could have been too much for them to handle. That being said, there were a lot more giants back then. 
The war between them happened over a great number of years if I'm not mistaken? Over time, perhaps they had to retreat further and further north as the first men took up more land. There would also be more food available for them the further they got from the first men. We don't know a great deal about them, but it's possible that perhaps giants aren't the most ferocious creatures, and perhaps they avoided war if they could. Wun Wun seems quite reasonable and only attacks when provoked. The other giant/s attacking the wall were likely just following Mance just as everyone else was - because he told them they were going to die otherwise.

4 hours ago, Adam Yozza said:

There were a lot more of the First Men than there were Giants, plus they had arrows.

Plus, we've also seen a one-armed Blacksmith kill Mag the Might with only a handful of brothers for backup.

True, but wouldn't a giant have to be on his hands and knees in that tunnel? That isn't the best position to be in during a fight anyway.

7 hours ago, James Steller said:

True, but wouldn't a giant have to be on his hands and knees in that tunnel? That isn't the best position to be in during a fight anyway.

I love Donal Noye, but we see a true representation of a giant versus a knight in full plate armour with Wun Wun and Ser Patrek of Kings Mountain.

13 hours ago, James Steller said:

Yeah I was going to use the tunnel example in my post, saying how they would be easily able to defeat a giant in certain circumstances. However, I'm not sure how many actual buildings would be in Westeros at that time - I imagine that the CotF and Giants lived in caves or out in the open. 

It's still possible that there were certain geographical areas that gave the first men a strategic advantage though. 

I think there's a consensus that numbers were the major factor here. A war of attrition during generations (probably hundreds -or even thousands- of years) coupled with a low birth rate on the part of the giants (very much like their cousins the CotF; I mean, we've never seen giant children), factored to diminish their numbers until they only existed north of the Wall.

The World book states that the giants "rang[ed] where they could and [took] what they wanted", so maybe they kept always clashing with the First Men when the former took something from the latter or invaded (without realizing it) FM's territory.  

One on one a primitive man couldn't take on a mammoth, but men in packs hunted and killed them regularly. I am not sure that the giants were less intelligent, but I'm pretty certain that the men were more numerous and had better weapons.

Just imagine how much food a creature as large as a giant would require. If you were to gather an army of them in one place for fighting, those food demands would swell past the point of sustainability for any period of time.

Heck you wouldn't even have to fight the giants. If you wanted to kill giants all you would have to do is go after their game for a sustained period of time before they started starving.

Both Giants and the children of the forest seem to be anti technology and therefore pro nature. I can see them spreading as thin as possible across all Westeros to make sure that their impact over the environment is as small as can be. That is good for the environment but it makes it difficult to fight an invader.

Archived