Littlefinger: King of Ash

LordImp

Varys said that LF would do anything to become the King of ashes. This made think that Littlefinger might be King at some point , but when he finally gets the throne the throne is meaningless , the realm in ruins and LF will literaly be the King of Ash. Do you think Littlefinger will be King at some point ?

I am fairly sure that in the books Littlefinger will rise to the top but probably only for a short time. At this point the Vale is besides Dorne the only part of the kingdom which is practically intact by the war. And while Doran seems like his main motivation is revenge and doesn't seem interested in taking the throne, my dear lord Baelish is very power hungry. He is in change of the powerful Vale army + he is the head of the Riverlands  and although only in the name, he is supported by the crown and in time of need some vassals might join him + thanks to Sansa he might be able to get support from the North. That means that potentially he rules a huge part of the kingdom. The crown is very fragile at this moment, the Westerlands are devasted, the forces of Stormlands left with Stannis, Iron Islands play indepedently atm, Daenerys is far from Westerlands and Aegon keeps the crown occupied and Dorne stay out of the game trying to join Aegon (aka against the crown), while Littlefinger has the intact forces of the Vale and possible allies of the Riverlands and the North. Imo, if Littlefinger strikes fast and unexpetedly, he can easily take over King's Landing and crown himself. King of ashes is imo a metaphore of aking of a devasted kingdom which would fit.

The question is what LF plans to do with Aegon and later Daenerys. He could, according to the Ashford theory, promise Sansa to him and become his ally, possibly giving up on the throne in exchange of becoming Aegon's Hand. That seems like a nice plan to me, if LF would have enough sense of self-preservation to do it. So far LF seems completely ignorant of Daenerys and her dragons, which seems stupid a lot, so I suppose that he has something up his sleeve which might not work at all considering that Daenerys might have Barristan / Jorah / Tyrion by her side and I am pretty sure that any of these three men would advise strongly against making a pact with LF.

8 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I just don't see a path to LF becoming King that isn't extremely dissatisfying.  That would essentially mean him marrying Sansa, her never killing him, and every other character in the books acting like a complete moron.

You're right about that. A possibilty i see is that everyone will either be dead or busy fighting the Others. If LF becomes King most of the characters are dead i guess. 

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I just don't see a path to LF becoming King that isn't extremely dissatisfying.  That would essentially mean him marrying Sansa, her never killing him, and every other character in the books acting like a complete moron.

From your post I suspect that you are talking about LF becoming a king forever (like until his death in 90-years-old with a bunch of granchildren on his knees). He will no way sit on the throne at the end of the story, unless he pulls a Faceless man and kills every other major, minor and not even mentioned characters.

The thing is that it is possible for him to become the king for like a week after he catches the crown off guard. (see my other post) After that week, it's very possible that someone will come riding a white direwolf or a big bad dragon and LF's pretty head will become a pretty decoration on the top of a spike.

6 hours ago, LordImp said:

Varys said that LF would do anything to become the King of ashes. This made think that Littlefinger might be King at some point , but when he finally gets the throne the throne is meaningless , the realm in ruins and LF will literaly be the King of Ash. Do you think Littlefinger will be King at some point ?

I’m sorry but I couldn’t find that conversation. Can you give me a hint where to look? The only thing I could find about “king of ashes” was in a Dany chapter when she is in the HotU and a Jaime chapter when he thinks about the Mad King.

CoK c. Finally a great pair of bronze doors appeared to her left, grander than the rest. They swung open as she neared, and she had to stop and look. Beyond loomed a cavernous stone hall, the largest she had ever seen. The skulls of dead dragons looked down from its walls. Upon a towering barbed throne sat an old man in rich robes, an old man with dark eyes and long silver-grey hair. "Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat," he said to a man below him. "Let him be the king of ashes."

FfC c.16 By the end the Mad King had become so fearful that he would allow no blade in his presence, save for the swords his Kingsguard wore. His beard was matted and unwashed, his hair a silver-gold tangle that reached his waist, his fingernails cracked yellow claws nine inches long. Yet still the blades tormented him, the ones he could never escape, the blades of the Iron Throne. His arms and legs were always covered with scabs and half-healed cuts. Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat, Jaime remembered, studying his sister's smile. Let him be the king of ashes.

Both of those quotes seem to be referring Robert and his rebellion. I noticed that in the two quotes of who is sitting the throne don’t actually match up. I don’t know what to make of that.

I don’t think LF will be the king of anything. My hope was that he would be tossed out the moon door, but now that everyone has left the Eryie that hope has flown out the window. Well, on second thought after winter comes spring so I guess I can hope to read about him having a trial and being tossed out the moon door.

LF’s got too many schemes and shenanigans going on. One example is his thoughts about Cersei.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne I The mention of the queen's name made her stiffen. "She's not kind. She scares me. If she should learn where I am—" "—I might have to remove her from the game sooner than I'd planned. Provided she does not remove herself first." Petyr teased her with a little smile. "In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you've planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne. It's a lesson that Cersei Lannister still has yet to learn.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne II "You would not believe half of what is happening in King's Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast. It is quite vexing. I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now . . . it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear."

17 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I’m sorry but I couldn’t find that conversation. Can you give me a hint where to look? The only thing I could find about “king of ashes” was in a Dany chapter when she is in the HotU and a Jaime chapter when he thinks about the Mad King.

CoK c. Finally a great pair of bronze doors appeared to her left, grander than the rest. They swung open as she neared, and she had to stop and look. Beyond loomed a cavernous stone hall, the largest she had ever seen. The skulls of dead dragons looked down from its walls. Upon a towering barbed throne sat an old man in rich robes, an old man with dark eyes and long silver-grey hair. "Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat," he said to a man below him. "Let him be the king of ashes."

FfC c.16 By the end the Mad King had become so fearful that he would allow no blade in his presence, save for the swords his Kingsguard wore. His beard was matted and unwashed, his hair a silver-gold tangle that reached his waist, his fingernails cracked yellow claws nine inches long. Yet still the blades tormented him, the ones he could never escape, the blades of the Iron Throne. His arms and legs were always covered with scabs and half-healed cuts. Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat, Jaime remembered, studying his sister's smile. Let him be the king of ashes.

Both of those quotes seem to be referring Robert and his rebellion. I noticed that in the two quotes of who is sitting the throne don’t actually match up. I don’t know what to make of that.

I don’t think LF will be the king of anything. My hope was that he would be tossed out the moon door, but now that everyone has left the Eryie that hope has flown out the window. Well, on second thought after winter comes spring so I guess I can hope to read about him having a trial and being tossed out the moon door.

LF’s got too many schemes and shenanigans going on. One example is his thoughts about Cersei.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne I The mention of the queen's name made her stiffen. "She's not kind. She scares me. If she should learn where I am—" "—I might have to remove her from the game sooner than I'd planned. Provided she does not remove herself first." Petyr teased her with a little smile. "In the game of thrones, even the humblest pieces can have wills of their own. Sometimes they refuse to make the moves you've planned for them. Mark that well, Alayne. It's a lesson that Cersei Lannister still has yet to learn.

A Feast for Crows - Alayne II "You would not believe half of what is happening in King's Landing, sweetling. Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind. I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast. It is quite vexing. I had hoped to have four or five quiet years to plant some seeds and allow some fruits to ripen, but now . . . it is a good thing that I thrive on chaos. What little peace and order the five kings left us will not long survive the three queens, I fear."

Maybe it was the show. My mistake . 

39 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Maybe it was the show. My mistake . 

Tis okay. Shucks when I re-read my post I saw grammar problems, typos and some other mistakes. I am curious as to how LF is gonna meet his end in the end. He does seem to have an eyeball on Cersei though.

4 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Tis okay. Shucks when I re-read my post I saw grammar problems, typos and some other mistakes. I am curious as to how LF is gonna meet his end in the end. He does seem to have an eyeball on Cersei though.

Littlefinger is one big mystery . I think he will create some chaos before he leaves the world .   I am pretty sure that a Stark will take him out. 

I think Littlefinger's shtick would remain manipulating people with more tangible power, lands/soldiers etc. 

It's already impressive that he has risen to Harrenhal, though he'd likely never gain real support from those vassals. Becoming a king simply won't happen, no over-mighty lords are ever going to bend their knees to him but they may do it to someone of a royal bloodline that's dangling on the ends of his puppet strings, he's the power behind the throne and he knows it. 

There is one point however that is in favour of Littlefinger. He has acquired his positions by competence, not by birth. The Lord of Harrenhal title is more a tool to him. IF one part of the global story in ASOIAF is about the decline of feudalism and maybe the end of all great houses, then Littlefinger would be well positioned. As a King however I do not see him (a King being part of the feudalistic system), even if in our modern times there are other versions of monarchy.

Archived