Buying Washer/Dryer

So I'm at the point in my life where I need to purchase a washing machine and drying machine. My fiance's dad told us to get an expensive washer and cheap dryer. My parents told us to not get anything too expensive, but not get anything too cheap either. So I could use a little more advice.

What fancy modern features are worth paying for, and which ones aren't? Should I get front-load or top-load? Is a two-in-one rig worth it?

Any advice from the board hivemind would be greatly appreciated.

Almost never get a two-in-one. It means that if you either want to upgrade or change anything - or if it breaks - it costs more. 

Expensive washer is very much good advise. Most of the expensive dryer features are things like for delicates that you can largely solve by buying a hanger or drying board. 

Front load and HE are really, really nice. They're much nicer on the clothes, too, and it saves a lot on drying time. Soil sensing is nice but not required. I'll ask my wife, who worked at Sears' appliance store, for a couple of other hints. A lot depends on your usage pattern too - do you tend to do a lot of small loads, a few big ones? Lots of kids? Pets? 

The dry cycle for a 2 in 1 is incredibly long. I'm not a fan. 

Front load washer is great on water but do some research on models and failure  modes and rates. A service plan is worth it. You need to wipe down the door and seal to stop mildew and stink.  A good basic dryer is all you really need. I also do a lot of rack drying.

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Almost never get a two-in-one. It means that if you either want to upgrade or change anything - or if it breaks - it costs more. 

Expensive washer is very much good advise. Most of the expensive dryer features are things like for delicates that you can largely solve by buying a hanger or drying board. 

Front load and HE are really, really nice. They're much nicer on the clothes, too, and it saves a lot on drying time. Soil sensing is nice but not required. I'll ask my wife, who worked at Sears' appliance store, for a couple of other hints. A lot depends on your usage pattern too - do you tend to do a lot of small loads, a few big ones? Lots of kids? Pets? 

I don't have any kids or pets yet. I guess I usually go for more, larger loads.

No offense, but that Kenmore Kalbear linked above is total shit.  The gaskets around the door collects water and it's nearly impossible to keep clean turning everything disgusting.  

I've had that one, a really expensive front load, and a lower cost top load.  I've kept the top load and I love it.  It's this one.  I find that people either like front load or hate it.  I hate front load with a passion.  I like top load.  I can go with or without the agitator.  Mine has the agitator, I'm glad for it.  I think I have the matching dryer to the washer I linked.  It was cheap and probably still has more features than needed.  

Heard this from a number of people.

Rule of thumb:  The older washer/dryers, the ones made no more recently than ten or twelve years ago, tend to be long lasting durable beasts.  Lot's of folks hereabouts still use washer/dryers made back in the 80's, even the 70's.  By contrast, the newer ones...tend to develop problems within a few years, often severe enough to require major repair or replacement. 

If you go for a Sears brand, try to find a Sears Outlet near you.  Although I see a lot of poor reviews for them on Yelp, our experience was a great one.  They're a clearing house for appliances that have been refused, for example, by someone due to the item's being slightly damaged, and they also sell refurbished appliances.  We got a side-by-side fridge/freezer in a stainless steel finish for around 70% off of list price.  I don't even recall what the problem was with ours - I think maybe a small scratch on one side.  It wasn't a refurbished.  (I'm slightly leery of those.)  We've had it for around seven years with no problems whatsoever.  And the scratch doesn't even show. 

We'd definitely give them another try if we were in the market for an appliance.  Do decide what size and the features you want ahead of time - their customer service is fairly non-existent, but that didn't matter to us.  We knew exactly what we wanted ahead of time.

Our washer and dryer are old Kitchen Aids that came with our house when we bought it, so I can't give you any advice there.  I tend to like my appliances simple, without a lot of bells and whistles.  Less to go wrong.  Our daughter has a front load heavy-duty and has had quite a few problems with it, despite it being pretty expensive and only around five years old.

37 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Heard this from a number of people.

Rule of thumb:  The older washer/dryers, the ones made no more recently than ten or twelve years ago, tend to be long lasting durable beasts.  Lot's of folks hereabouts still use washer/dryers made back in the 80's, even the 70's.  By contrast, the newer ones...tend to develop problems within a few years, often severe enough to require major repair or replacement. 

Yes!  My parents recently replaced a washer and dryer that HAD to be over 35 years old!  I think they were Kenmores. 

We have an LG washer, I can't recall exactly what model off the top of my head, but it's a big front loading washer, maybe 5.2 cubic feet?  I think it's a 7 cubic foot dryer?  Haven't had any issues and it gets a ton of use, being that there is 8 of us in the house.

On the gasket in the frontloading washer, we had ours perfectly intact/not gross simply by leaving he door partly open to air out in between washes.  Unfortunately, there was a sort of extended period of time where we were not particularly fastidious in making sure it was open and so it got a little gross, but nothing too bad really.

Don't get a combo.

It's a personal preference, but I don't like front loaders. I like to be able to get in the load mid-cycle. But they are nicer on clothes, and they look nice. Leaving the door open after use (a good idea with either kind) will help prevent mold, mildew, etc. That might be more annoying to do with a front loader.

Some people really like steam dryers. I figure I can always spritz some water in there and I have a separate steamer anyway. But I can see how it might be handy if it gets you out of ironing.

A lot of these machines now connect to the net. I have *no idea* why anyone would want this. No idea.

I'd figure out what features you want, and then check out consumer reports. 

10 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

the newer ones...tend to develop problems within a few years, often severe enough to require major repair or replacement. 

That's because electronic parts used in the newer machines have much shorter lifespans than the good oldfashioned ones.

I also wouldn't recommend combos, the drying program usually uses much more water than the washing program.

I've got top-loader and it works fine.

It is my understanding that the model's have become almost irrelevant. I think most appliances are made to specs overseas in the same few factories and they just slap different model names on them. 

Your parents advice to try to get a middle of the road washer and dryer is solid. I'd avoid a front loader. I think those are nice if you have a laundry room that is visible and you think guests might be around that area.  If you are dealing with a basement set up, i'd go with a top load washer, just get something middle of the road and hope for the best. I've gone through two washers in the last 10 years and I agree with what others have said about quality going downhill. They engineer these things to break within 5 to 7 years.  The last one i had blew a washer bearing and we ran it until it would not go work anymore. Sounded like a 747 landing in the house during spin cycle for the last month of its life.

Regarding the dryer - if you do not have a gas heat dryer and the option to move to gas is available i would take it. I find the gas dryers to be more effective and quicker to dry than electric.

I would also ask your friends for advice on a good appliance repair person. I avoid the sears contractors and try to find someone who has their own business doing it. If you find a good one they are like gold. I've had issues with control panels before that required only replacing a fuse or a cheap part. I found a good local repair guy that came in after the sears contractor tried to get me to replace the entire panel and the local guy had me up in running in 10 minutes for a $75 service charge and $2 worth of parts.  

It took me a minute to work out what you were all talking about with top loader vs front loader, I can't remember the last time I saw a top loading washing machine. Can you still get them?

I don't actually have any useful advice.

If you want a washing machine that is reliable for decades, people usually still buy a Miele here. Not sure if they are easily available in the US, but my mum had a machine that lasted 30 years, and the current one is over 10 years old, with not a single repair so far. The machines are more expensive though as they are still produced in Germany.

edit: apparently they are available, but some people find them too small compared to US washing machines. https://www.amazon.com/W3038-Miele-Front-Load-Washer/dp/B00MB39X02/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477320654&sr=8-1&keywords=miele+washing+machine

First, I envy the OP's youth.  That question took me back 15 years.

Second, I'll echo others and advise against a combo.  At your stage of life, we bought Kenmore (top loader washer, front load dryer) and had zero problems.  Lany makes a good point that you can get great discounts at the outlet store, but no warranty.  And you should definitely buy over a holiday weekend to get a sale price -- undiscounted prices are for families who just had a breakdown and need to replace their old equipment right now because a laundromat for a couple of months is out of the question.  Don't pay extra for an extended warranty.  None of the fancy features are worth it on a basic model because they generally don't work well until you get to the high end models; plus they are mostly chi-chi features that you won't really use.  A steam dryer is easily replaced by a small handheld steamer.

Third, when you are young you have a high likelihood of moving home within the next five years, and typically you leave behind the washer and drier when you move.  So don't get too exercised about brands that will last 10+ years.  Planned obsolescence is now a design feature and most of the basic models use the same components from common suppliers.

Fourth, do look at the delivery cost and whether they charge you to remove your old model.  There are definitely It can be a large add-on to the purchase price if you get a surprise. There are definitely options that include free delivery & removal.

Best of luck.

So, here's a standard top loader. The idea being, don't pay over $500 for that, delivery included.

I've been trying to talk myself into why I want more than this, and water/energy efficiency is the only good reason I can come up with. But it is a good one.

I was going to point out the considerable price difference, but, unlike the last time I looked 4 months ago, there's hardly a difference because they are crazy on sale. Check it out. (As with many appliances, note you save money if you're okay with white.)

Archived