Buying Washer/Dryer

1 minute ago, Ariadne23 said:

So, here's a standard top loader. The idea being, don't pay over $500 for that, delivery included.

I've been trying to talk myself into why I want more than this, and water/energy efficiency is the only good reason I can come up with. But it is a good one.

I was going to point out the considerable price difference, but, unlike the last time I looked 4 months ago, there's hardly a difference because they are crazy on sale. Check it out.

Thats pretty similar to one we bought earlier this year. We bought a centennial maytag. I remember we spent a week deciding on appliances when we were first married. This time around my wife just got it on her own because i told her I could care less. :) 

I almost never buy the extended warranties on these things either. I think they extend to three years in most cases. My opinion is these things break down either right away or around 5 years so the extended warranty is not helpful and you are typically covered by default in the first year. I've not researched this so happy to hear other opinions but I always decline them for appliances. 

2 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Third, when you are young you have a high likelihood of moving home within the next five years, and typically you leave behind the washer and drier when you move.  So don't get too exercised about brands that will last 10+ years.  Planned obsolescence is now a design feature and most of the basic models use the same components from common suppliers.

Funny you should mention that because the previous owners did take the washer/dryer. That's why we're in this boat right now.

Or rather I believe they let one of their friends take the machines. It's a bit annoying because they didn't even make an offer to leave it in there. But it is what it is.

I bought a washing/drying machine last year. A Longvie. I have no complaints. Here dryers are not common at all (only in laundry services), so having the combo was more a plus than a necessity. No room at all to install two different machines anyway. As I live by myself I only make like 3 cycles per week at most: two washings if needed and one drying, as I still hang the delicates. Not using it too much will probably contribute to its life being long and plentiful (crossing fingers), but I can totally see its engine dying quickly if it's used for several daily washing/drying cycles.

I bought a Kenmore front load washer with the matching dryer in 2004.  I had a minor problem with the dryer after a few years, and when the repair man showed up the dryer worked fine.  Of course.  Both have worked extremely well ever since.  I read the washer door should be left open so I have never had a mildew problem.  They were higher end models, bought on sale, larger capacity though not the biggest capacity.  Back then I was told I would be lucky if I got more than 8 or 9 years out of them. Mind you, I've lived alone for the last 5 years, though I do a lot of smaller loads since I'm a fanatic about washing whites, colours and dark clothing separately.

My brother has always bought top loading washers because, you know, some repair guy told him never to buy a front load because they weren't any good.  He went through 3 washers in 6 years at one point, and I told him that his basement floor was uneven and machines are being made lighter and lighter and they may have been shaking too hard.  I went out and bought rubber padding tiles, the kind you put down for children to play on, and we put them under the machine to absorb the vibrations.  That was 4 years ago and his machine is still working. I also think he probably bought cheaper models the first two of those three.

I have heard from repair people that one of the worst things people do is overload their machines, overworking them and shortening their life.  My brother won't wash more than three towels at a time.  That would drive me insane.  My high capacity washer manual says I can put up to 8 bath towels in at a time, though I don't put more than 6 in at a time.  And a few facecloths.  Make sure you actually read the manual for helpful information, like how much laundry you can do at one time.

10 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

Is there a way to turn off the happy little songs LG appliances play at you? Da da DA da da! Your oven is at temp! Your dishes are happy to be clean!!

LOL.  I only have the washer/dryer.  I don't mind the little tune.  I think there is a way to turn off the sound, but I leave it on because then I know if my son is messing with the controls.

8 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

We have LG now for washer and dryer and I hate the tune.  I haven't found a way to reduce the volume or switch it off.

It's good eco practice to set your laundry and dishwasher to run late at night, but then the stupid tune wakes up your kid.

With the front loaders I want to get my laundry out and the ring dried/door open for the washer asap, so don't run it over night (a sour smell just requires and extra wash which is worse).  I do run my dishwasher overnight, but we have a kitchenaid (which is really, really wonderful and very, very silent) so I don't have the "wake up" issue.

My last house came with a suite of new LG kitchen appliances. Total cacophony of digital cheerfulness. 

The downside of running your washing machine at night is that if something breaks, you might not be aware of it before the flooding has caused half a mil in damage to your condo building. Hypothetically.

26 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

My last house came with a suite of new LG kitchen appliances. Total cacophony of digital cheerfulness. 

The downside of running your washing machine at night is that if something breaks, you might not be aware of it before the flooding has caused half a mil in damage to your condo building. Hypothetically.

We are required to have an alarm on the machine for this.  The one time I've had an issue I first thought the smoke detectors were going off it was so loud!

13 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

We are required to have an alarm on the machine for this.  The one time I've had an issue I first thought the smoke detectors were going off it was so loud!

That is vastly preferable to the desk staff pounding on your door at 2am. Got a link for the alarm you bought, by any chance? That'd be great piece of mind.

Archived