Walking Dead Season 7 (No comic Spoilers)

Howdyphillip

So either all the non-comic readers here have stopped watching this or this present season is so bad that no one is even bothered to discuss this! :D

I'm finding this season to be a real slog.Carl continues to be the dumbest character ever written/portrayed on screen.He's number 2 on my list of 'tv kid characters i wanna see die a gruesome death'. No. 1 on this list is the kid from The Strain! :D:P

I am still watching but the season is one where there isn't much to discuss. I mean, we all knew that Rick wasn't going to stay under Negans rule for too long. Should also have seen Maggie taking over Hilltop from a mile away. Should have seen The Kingdom being brought into the collective war against the saviors. Likely will see the coastal people(the all women one) get brought into it. Pretty sure it's either Dwight or his wife who helped Darryl escape, Dwight has been shown all season to hate Negan. We all knew Spencer would try to usurp Rick and that Negan would see through that slimy p.o.s.

To me the only thing that's a mystery is the person we were shown in the last episode by the house boat and then watching Alexandria.

The bigger question is what happens in the aftermath of the big battle? If the saviors lose, do the other groups live in peace? Form a community and finally try to get back to some semblance of normalcy with trade between the groups and such?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

The bigger question is what happens in the aftermath of the big battle? If the saviors lose, do the other groups live in peace? Form a community and finally try to get back to some semblance of normalcy with trade between the groups and such?

Do Alexandria and Rick take over Negan's role of providing "protection" to the other two communities?   Hilltop and the Kingdom both seem to be thriving, growing crops, making tools and should do fine if they are left alone, but Alexandria is surviving by living off the remnants of the old world and scavenging, which won't last forever.  Eugene was the only one to have an idea to actually produce something, but even that was ammunition.  

20 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Do Alexandria and Rick take over Negan's role of providing "protection" to the other two communities?   Hilltop and the Kingdom both seem to be thriving, growing crops, making tools and should do fine if they are left alone, but Alexandria is surviving by living off the remnants of the old world and scavenging, which won't last forever.  Eugene was the only one to have an idea to actually produce something, but even that was ammunition.  

Yeah but if you remember right, Alexandria was making plans to grow crops, one of the last things Deanna was talking about.

In reality if there is a large battle, each "town" would have fighters left over after it and they could protect their towns. Then as a group provide strength to the other areas if some larger threat comes causing trouble.

2 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Alexandria could potentially produce really desireable things for the communities in the area seeing as they have running water and electricity.

Absolutely, and Eugene is an Alexandian, and he is only one we know of who can produce bullets.

Seems the head Negan has actually gone a bit soft. Clearly there is dissension in the ranks, an attempted killing I would think would warrant complete depopulation of Alexandria and instaling a rotating skeleton crew of Saviours to run Alexandria and perhaps transfer some of the compliant folks from Hilltop and the Kingdom to be minions.

As already noted, Alexandria doesn't really produce anything of note, so aside from the people who can go scavenging for stuff what is Alexandria really worth to the Saviours? Seems like it's better for Negan to make Alexandria's creature comforts his personal holiday destination. I suppose it's Hubris. He thinks he has the population at heel.

So I finally watched the first half of the season over the last few days - colour me unimpressed. This show still has some of the worst pacing of any show I've ever seen --although watching over three days makes it much less annoying -- and the quality of the writing isn't any better either. I'm finding Negan to be utterly ridiculous and I roll my eyes every time he is on screen. I don't know how close the show version is to the comic book -- I'm assuming that much of his dialogue is taken from the comics -- but the character is just not translating well to screen. I think that part of the issue is that Negan has been given far too much screen time. With Negan, less is more. I hope that this Negan storyline is wrapped up this season as its been a real drag.

There were also a few episodes (three?) that had an extended runtime for no reason that I could fathom except that AMC wanted to sell more ad time. I really believe that the show would be much better served by breaking away from the comics and working towards their own endgame, looking to conclude the show by season 12. This of course is assuming that the writers aren't complete hacks and are capable of coming up with their own interesting storylines. Unfortunately the chances of this happening are basically nil and I fully expect the show to continue spinning wheels until viewership drops to the point where AMC pulls the plug. I'm quite confident now that we will never get an ending on screen.

I'll probably binge the second half of the season as well in hope rather than expectation that there might be something that convinces me to return for season 8. In all likelihood though, TWD is going to end up on my purge list.

On 11/12/2016 at 5:35 PM, House Balstroko said:

Slightly off topic, but what would be the endgame scenario for this series? In most shows that are not sitcoms there is a large plot that eventually gets resolved. Not so much here, we are mostly following the adventures of Rick's group.  How do you end a show like this, without either finding a cure or killing off all characters? 

Ehh, it's a civilization rebuild. Series will end in the future, walkers are still a threat but less so, humans have evolved from feudal city states into a nation state, with Carl looking back over the loss of Rick and others. Old man Negan will have an Obi Wan presence. It will be cheesy as the show has become. 

On 12/14/2016 at 8:39 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Seems the head Negan has actually gone a bit soft. Clearly there is dissension in the ranks, an attempted killing I would think would warrant complete depopulation of Alexandria and instaling a rotating skeleton crew of Saviours to run Alexandria and perhaps transfer some of the compliant folks from Hilltop and the Kingdom to be minions.

As already noted, Alexandria doesn't really produce anything of note, so aside from the people who can go scavenging for stuff what is Alexandria really worth to the Saviours? Seems like it's better for Negan to make Alexandria's creature comforts his personal holiday destination. I suppose it's Hubris. He thinks he has the population at heel.

The show has a serious problem expanding the damage the resistance to Negan does while keeping his reaction within the same bounds. Probably partly cause they're stretching out the season. Probably cause they have far more balls when it comes to killing nobodies.

At a certain point it becomes a bit much though. Inconsistent narrative railroading.

The writing has gotten really lazy.... for example, Carl shoots a couple of Saviors in the back of the truck, but won't kill Negan's human shield?...  What jizzbucket involved in production thought that made sense? ... and an entire show dedicated to Tara?.... for the friggin life of me I don't understand why they refuse to cut from one plotline to another .... and feel that they need to go weeks between visiting certain characters.

Still, a ratings drop from 17, to 10 million viewers is a problem a lot of shows would love to have...

I may have mentioned this elsewhere but Andrew Lincoln is making at least 500k an episode, possibly more.  Despite the fact the show is printing money, cheapskates at AMC won't guarantee a full 16 episodes for Lincoln, his guarantee is less, hence the bottle episodes. 

Follow the money.  

27 minutes ago, generalzod said:

I may have mentioned this elsewhere but Andrew Lincoln is making at least 500k an episode, possibly more.  Despite the fact the show is printing money, cheapskates at AMC won't guarantee a full 16 episodes for Lincoln, his guarantee is less, hence the bottle episodes. 

Follow the money.  

Don't regulars get paid a lump sum for the season? 

21 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

The writing has gotten really lazy.... for example, Carl shoots a couple of Saviors in the back of the truck, but won't kill Negan's human shield?...  What jizzbucket involved in production thought that made sense? ... and an entire show dedicated to Tara?.... for the friggin life of me I don't understand why they refuse to cut from one plotline to another .... and feel that they need to go weeks between visiting certain characters.

Still, a ratings drop from 17, to 10 million viewers is a problem a lot of shows would love to have...

Yeah, Carl not killing that person made no sense plot wise. Show wise it did because they want Negan alive for a bigger battle later.

As to Tara, they had to introduce the Seaside or Oceanside group somehow and chose that route. I would think that they and their large cache of weapons will show up later this season. It would have been nice to have a few cutaways to the other group during the episode though.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Long time since anyone has posted here.

I found season 7 and first half of 8 to be pretty bad, and I loved this show. However, I feel the quality in this back half has improved. Thankfully no more slow mo montages and bottle neck eps. I hoping next season improves with a new showrunner. Im glad we are coming to an end with the Negan storyline. Looking forward to the finale - first time in a long time I have actually really felt exited about TWD.

Also do people really think Eugene is still on Rick's team ? I personally dont. 

Archived