Arrow Season 5: New Thread, New Team, Same Angst...?

Jaxom 1974

All of the CW shows have been strong this year, even when they're a little silly.

I was, frankly, disappointed in the ultimate Prometheus reveal, but I do agree that the most recent episode was very strong.  The season is geared towards finishing as though the series was ending (even though we know it isnt actually).  They were obviously hedging bets.

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

All of the CW shows have been strong this year, even when they're a little silly.

I was, frankly, disappointed in the ultimate Prometheus reveal, but I do agree that the most recent episode was very strong.  The season is geared towards finishing as though the series was ending (even though we know it isnt actually).  They were obviously hedging bets.

The Flash musical was a highlight, though it was an effort for me to sit myself down and watch it, and I didn't have it in me to watch Barry serenade Iris at the end; but, it was a reminder of how appealing Barry was when he was first introduced. And also, Melissa Benoist is a darn good singer.

And yeah, Legends has been way better since it had the Legion of Evil Middle-Aged White Men as its antagonists.

But I think Arrow has so far, been the strongest of the four CW hero shows this season. And the most recent ep was everything Season 3 pretended (unconvincingly) to be. 

And an increasingly corrupted Felicity is more interesting than a weepy one.

And guess who's coming back (again)

https://www.google.ca/amp/variety.com/2017/tv/news/katie-cassidy-returning-arrow-black-siren-season-6-the-cw-1202017139/amp/

• 1 month later...

I'm not a fan of Olicity - in fact, I'm not a big fan of Oliver or Felicity but I liked this episode featuring mostly the two of them, nonetheless. I thought the two of them having it out was well done and avoided much of the melodrama that afflicts the Flash which pours it on whether it's necessary or not.

The only thing I object to is that it looks like they're gonna backtrack on the notion that Oliver, or at least a part of him, likes killing. I thought it lent credibility to the show if itsmain character was really that damaged rather than the faux-darkness it often indulges in.

I did expect Diggle and Felicity to tell him otherwise, but I hope the season doesn't do that often repeated scenario in comic books where the hero has the bad guy completely at his mercy then refrains from killing him and have everyone around him congratulate him and say" See Ollie? You're not so bad."

• 2 weeks later...

So just watched ep 22 and yeah the show probably isnt what it was but i dont think i have ever been more hyped the past couple of seasons than the very end of this one when i realised where oliver was.

That was a classic television cliffhanger.  Of course we know people survive, the show is renewed!  But how they do it...that's what will be interesting...

Things were very well done overall.  I was never truly onboard with Chase as Prometheus, because it felt like it needed to be someone more personally connected to Oliver to be completely effectual.  That being said, the actor playing him did a he'll of a job. 

They tied up the flashbacks neatly too without it feeling overly forced.

With the Flash just getting worse and worse, I'm really glad that Arrow got back on track again. This was easily the best season since s2, despite kinda wasting Dolph Lundgren a bit. However the cliffhanger was a bit silly, there's no way that they would kill off almost the entire cast. Although I guess some of them could go.

Plus we got a nice Spartacus reunion with Crixus, Ashur and Mira.

The argus jail is my guess for how they survive. Also think merlin found a way to get one of the others onto the mine and survives tocome back next season, he is almost my favourite part of each episode he shows up in.

Archived